Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Low-dimensional Topology
- Metric Geometry
- Complex Analysis
- Riemann Surfaces
- Reimann surface laminations
Divakaran is passionate about teaching, especially at the undergraduate level. He strives to build effective pedagogy and relationships with students.
His research interests are in geometry, topology and its applications. He has broadly worked on three areas – metric geometry and its application to geometric topology (during my PhD from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore), the structure of the space of functions between products of Riemann surfaces (during post-doctoral fellowship at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences(IMSc), Chennai), and evaluation and construction of samples for Monte-Carlo integration (during post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Edinburgh).
Currently, he is working on embeddings of Riemann surface laminations (this work builds on his work during post-doctoral fellowship at IISER Bhopal). He is also exploring geometric group theory and hyperbolic geometry.
In addition, he is also a hobbyist blogger. He blogs in Malayalam in his personal blog Manorajyam (https://www.manorajyam.com). He has another film blog in English called 2d-life (https://www.2d-life.com)
Taught through inquiry-based learning, this course, is an exploration of geometry and algebra motivated by questions of congruence of triangles, along with the nature and language of mathematics.
A course in complex analysis naturally unifying many topics in a conceptually consistent way.
An exploration of mathematics through numerical means.
Helping you explore programming with depth.
The plane is thought to be two-dimensional, experienced space as three-dimensional and represent them by coordinate systems. This course leads to vector spaces and linear maps which crop up everywhere in mathematics.
One of a two-part introduction that introduces you to the foundations of mathematical thinking.
A prerequisite course for understanding Differential and Integral Calculus.
- Bhushan, S., Divakaran, D., Srinivasan, T. (2022). Inquiry-based learning in an Indian context. Blackboard, 4, 63 – 75. https://www.mtai.org.in/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/blackboard-issue4.pdf
- Bharali, G., Biswas, I., Divakaran, D., & Janardhanan, J. (2018). Proper holomorphic mappings onto symmetric products of a Riemann surface. Documenta Mathematica.
- Divakaran, D., & Janardhanan, J. (2017). Finiteness theorems for holomorphic mapping from products of hyperbolic Riemann surfaces. International Journal of Mathematics, 28(07), 1750060.
- Jain, S. (Host). (2023, May 25). It’s a Math Math Math World with Divakaran & Shraddha | Ep 1 — Babylon [Podcast]. Radio Azim Premji University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImVf5MCE2EE
- Jain, S. (Host). (2023, June 15). It’s a Math Math Math World with Divakaran & Shraddha | Ep 2 — The Zero Story [Audio podcast]. Radio Azim Premji University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zFizDQl6Y
- Jain, S. (Host). (2023, July 10). It’s a Math Math Math World with Divakaran & Shraddha | Ep 3 — A Greek Trajectory. [Audio podcast]. Radio Azim Premji University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJjYzV-PpM
- Jain, S. (Host). (2023, August 01). It’s a Math Math Math World with Divakaran & Shraddha | Ep 4 — Number Origami [Audio podcast]. Radio Azim Premji University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8X5NIGTOOE