Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Riemannian Geometry
- Differential Topology
- Knot Theory
- Tactile Mathematics
- Inquiry Based Learning (IBL) pedagogy
Shantha Bhushan has taught mathematics at FLAME, Pune. Prior to this, she worked with an NGO, Kalpavriksh. She has worked on issues of biodiversity conservation and community-based conservation.
She holds a PhD from IIT Bombay and was a DST fellow at IISER Pune. She has worked on Riemannian manifolds whose geodesics are all periodic. She has also worked on knot theory in understanding protein backbones.
Her current research interests are in math education at the college and school level. Her current project is to create resources for tactile and visual learners at the school and college level. Crafts such as crochet, knitting, weaving, origami, have a lot of interplay with mathematical ideas. The teaching resources use craft to explore and experientially learn complex mathematical concepts.
In her spare time, she hangs out with cats, dogs and other animals.
· Bhushan, S., Mallik, P., & Nityananda, R. (2019). Multidimensional approach to design and implementation of Quantitative Reasoning course. Proceedings of the Mathematics Teachers’ (India) Association Inaugural conference Jan 3 ‑5 2019. https://www.mtai.org.in/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Binder1.pdf
· Sri Ram., & Bhushan, S. (2016, July).Prime conspiracies in the classroom. (Pages 621 – 639). Resonance. Springer Verlag. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12045-016‑0367‑8
· Mishra, Rama., & Bhushan, Shantha. (2011). Knot theory in understanding proteins. Journal of mathematical biology. 65. 10.1007/s00285-011‑0488‑3.
· Pathak, N., Kothari, A.,& Bhushan, S. (2004). Involving communities in Conservation: A Lost Opportunity. Hindustan Times. www.hindustantimes.com/citizensnews.
· Bhushan, S. (2001). Power to the people — protecting the commons. Hindu Survey of Environment.
· Bhushan, S. (2009). Community Conserved Areas in Tamil Nadu. In Pathak, N. (ed) Community Conserved Areas in India – A Directory. Kalpavriksh, Pune/Delhi. https://kalpavriksh.org/our-store/community-conserved-areas-in-india-a-directory/
· Bhushan, S. (2007). Guide to Biodiversity Act, 2002. Kalpavriksh, GRAIN, IIED. https://pubs.iied.org/14527IIED
· Bhushan, S., & Kothari, A. (editors). (2002). Adivasi rights, Environment and the Law – Selected readings. Kalpavriksh.