Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Growth and Distribution
- Monetary Economics
- Public Finance
- International Trade and Finance
- Political Economy
He holds a PhD in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Before joining the University, he worked as research associate in Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi and Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata. His research has been published in various edited volumes and in journals like Review of Keynesian Economics and Economic and Political Weekly. His research combines theoretical and empirical analysis of growth regimes, finance, trade and political economy. Some of his ongoing research projects include topics of fiscal policy and different aspects of financial fragility in the Indian economy.
Publications and Writings:
“Economic Slowdown and Financial Fragility: The Structural Malaise of India’s Growth Process” Economic and Political Weekly, 2020, Vol 55, No 13
“Financialisation and Corporate Investments: The Indian Case”, (with Sunanda Sen), Review of Keynesian Economics,2018, Vol. 6 No. 1, Spring 2018, pp. 96 – 113.
“‘Riskless Capitalism’ in India: Bank Credit and Economic Activity” (with Rohit Azad and Prasenjit Bose), Economic & Political Weekly, 2017, vol 52 no. 31.
“Growth, Imports and Inequality: Explaining the Persistently High Trade Deficit in India”, (with Subhanil Chowdhury), Economic & Political Weekly, 2015 vol 50, no. 48.
“Economic Policy in India: For Economic Stimulus or for Volatility and Austerity?” (with Sunanda Sen), PSL Quarterly Review, 2014, vol 67 no 271.
“Development Expenditures of the states in the Post-Liberalization Period”, Economic and Political Weekly,2012, vol 47, no 34.
“Fiscal Problem in West Bengal: Towards an Explanation”, (with Subhanil Chowdhury), Economic and Political Weekly,2012, vol 47, no 13.
“The Challenges before NABARD in the Midst of RBI’s Sterilisation Policy”, ( with Shouvik Chakraborty), Economic & Political Weekly, 2010, vol 45, no. 31
“The Dynamics of Global Demand, Investment and Trade Deficit in India: A Model of India’s External Dependence” (2021), in Dasgupta,B. , Ghosh,A. and Ghosh, B (eds). “Neoliberal Economic Reform in Emerging Economy of India — International Trade, Investment and Finance”, Routledge.
“Breaking Bad: India’s Banking Distress”(2019) ‚in Azad,Ramani, Chakraborty and Sinha (eds) “Quantum Leap in Wrong Direction?”, Orient Black Swan, co-authored with Prasenjit Bose
“A Short Note on Debt-Neutral Fiscal Policy”, CSE Working Paper #36, 2021
“Income Distribution and Effective Demand in the Indian Economy”, CSE Working Paper #30, 2020
“What Explains India’s High Growth Phase? Investment, Exports and Growth During the Liberalization Period”, Working Paper at Azim Premji University, 2020
- “The impossible trinity facing Budget 2021 – 22”, Hindustan Times, January 23, 2021
- ‘Privatising a public good’, Frontline, December 20, 2019. [with Surbhi Kesar and Devika Dutt]
- “Monetary Policy as a Counter-cyclical Strategy” , Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy, Azim Premji University, 2020
- “The Twin Challenge and India’s Macroeconomic Response”, Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy, Azim Premji University, 2020
- “Banking Sector not yet out of the woods”, ( with Prasenjit Bose ), Hindu BusinessLine, 2019 January 24
- “Mélange of factors that pulled rupee down”, (with Prasenjit Bose), Hindu BusinessLine, 2018 October 30
- “Supreme Court should frame an 11th question on demonetisation” (with Prasenjit Bose ), Dailyo, 2016 December 14
- “What deters investment in India today?” (with Sunanda Sen), The Hindu, 2014 September 10
State of Working India 2021: One year of Covid-19. (2021). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University.