Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Growth and Distribution
- Monetary Economics
- Public Finance
- Open Economy
- Political Economy
Zico holds a PhD in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
His research has been published in various journals like Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Review of Keynesian Economics, PSL Quarterly Review, and Economic and Political Weekly.
His research focuses on issues of growth and distribution, open economy macroeconomics, financial systems and macroeconomic policies. Some of his ongoing research projects include topics of export-led growth, jobless growth regimes and aspects of financial fragility in the Indian economy.
Do we need to study maths to learn economics?
Why do economies grow? What causes price to rise?
The course surveys macroeconomic theory and its evolution through the use of rigorous mathematical and logical models.
Is globalisation inevitable? And do we all really gain from it?
What makes an economy healthy, and how can economic ill-health be treated?
Chapters in Edited Books
Dasgupta, Z. (2021). The dynamics of global demand, investment and trade deficit in India: A model of India’s external dependence. In B. Dasgupta, A. Ghosh, & B. Ghosh (Eds.), Neoliberal Economic Reform in Emerging Economy of India — International Trade, Investment and Finance. Routledge.
Bose, P., & Dasgupta, Z. (2019). Breaking Bad: India’s banking distress. In R. Azad, S. Chakraborty, S. Ramani, & D. Sinha (Eds.), Quantum Leap in Wrong Direction? Orient Blackswan.
- Chowdhury, I., & Dasgupta, Z. (2023). Monetary Policy in the midst of cost-push inflation. Economic and Political Weekly, 58(22). https://www.epw.in/journal/2023/22/money-banking-and-finance/monetary-policy-midst-cost-push-inflation.html
- Dasgupta, Z. (2022). Investment function and the role of export: The case of India’s manufacturing sector. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 63, 79 – 90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strueco.2022.09.004
- Dasgupta, Z. (2022). Income distribution and aggregate demand in the Indian Economy. Economic and Political Weekly, 57(7). https://www.epw.in/journal/2022/7/special-articles/income-distribution-and-aggregate-demand-indian.html
Dasgupta, Z. (2020). Economic slowdown and financial fragility: The structural malaise of India’s growth process. Economic and Political Weekly, 55(13), 46 – 53. https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/13/money-banking-and-finance/economic-slowdown-and-financial-fragility.html
Sen, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2018). Financialisation and corporate investments: The Indian Case. Review of Keynesian Economics, 6(1), 96 – 113. https://doi.org/10.4337/roke.2018.01.06
Azad, R., Bose, P., & Dasgupta, Z. (2017). Riskless Capitalism’ in India: Bank Credit and Economic Activity. Economic & Political Weekly, 52(31). https://www.epw.in/journal/2017/31/review-issues/%E2%80%98riskless-capitalism%E2%80%99-india.html
Chowdhury, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2015). Growth, imports and inequality: Explaining the persistently high trade deficit in India. Economic & Political Weekly, 50(48). https://www.epw.in/journal/2015/48/special-articles/growth-imports-and-inequality.html
Sen, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2014). Economic Policy in India: For economic stimulus or for volatility and austerity?, PSL Quarterly Review, 67(271). https://doi.org/10.13133/2037 – 3643⁄13023
Dasgupta, Z. (2012). Development expenditures of the states in the post-liberalisation period. Economic and Political Weekly, 47(34). https://www.epw.in/journal/2012/34/notes/development-expenditures-states-post-liberalisation-period.html
Chowdhury, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2012). Fiscal problem in West Bengal.Economic and Political Weekly, 47(13). https://www.epw.in/journal/2012/13/special-articles/fiscal-problem-west-bengal.html
Chakraborty, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2010). The challenges before NABARD in the midst of RBI’s sterilisation policy. Economic & Political Weekly, 45(31). https://www.epw.in/journal/2010/31/special-articles/challenges-nabard-midst-rbis-sterilisation-policy.html
- Azim Premji University. (2021). State of Working India 2021: One year of Covid-19. Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/SWI2021_FullReport_1June.pdf
Dasgupta, Z. (2022). Understanding Globalisation through the lens of contesting narratives. [Review of the Book Six Faces of Globalization: Who Wins, Who Loses, and Why It Matters, by A. Roberts, N. Lamp]. Economic and Political Weekly, 57(41). https://www.epw.in/journal/2022/41/book-reviews/understanding-globalisation-through-lens.html
Dasgupta, Z. (2013). [Review of the Book The Politics of Poverty: Planning India’s Development, by D.K. Rangnekar]. Social Change, 43(4). https://doi.org/10.1177/00490857135026
- Dasgupta, Z. (2022, August 09). Why rupee depreciation is bad, not good news. Hindustan Times. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/why-rupee-depreciation-is-bad-not-good-news-101659981335549.html
- Dasgupta, Z. & Menon, K. (2022, February 04).The need to boost labour income and consumption expenditure. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/the-need-to-boost-labour-income-and-consumption-expenditure/article38375006.ece
- Dasgupta, Z. (2022, January 28). Understanding the formulation of the Budget”, The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/understanding-the-formulation-of-the-budget/article38338054.ece
- Dasgupta, Z. (2022, January 23). The impossible trinity facing Budget 2021 – 22. Hindustan Times. https://www.hindustantimes.com/budget/the-impossible-trinity-facing-budget-202122 – 101611356762065.html
- Bose, P., & Dasgupta, Z. (2019, January 24). Banking sector not yet out of the woods. Hindu BusinessLine. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/banking-sector-not-yet-out-of-the-woods/article26082148.ece
- Bose, P., & Dasgupta, Z. (2018, October 31). Mélange of factors that pulled rupee down. Hindu BusinessLine. 2018 October 30 https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/mélange-of-factors-that-pulled-rupee-down/article25372098.ece
- Sen, S., & Dasgupta, Z. (2014, September 10). What deters investment in India today? The Hindu. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/mélange-of-factors-that-pulled-rupee-down/article25372098.ece
- Dasgupta, Z. (2021, February 10). A budget that doubly punishes victims of the pandemic. Frontline. https://frontline.thehindu.com/the-nation/a‑budget-that-doubly-punishes-victims-of-the-pandemic/article33775395.ece
- Kesar, S., Dutt, D., Dasgupta, Z. (2019, December 05). Privatising a public good. Frontline. https://frontline.thehindu.com/the-nation/article30147154.ece
- Dasgupta, Z. (2020). Monetary policy as a counter-cyclical strategy. Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy. Azim Premji University.
- Dasgupta, Z. (2020). The twin challenge and India’s macroeconomic response. Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy. Azim Premji University.