Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Labour Economics
- Economics of Culture and Religion
- Economics of Conflict
- Networks in Economics
- Computational methods in Economics
My research interests are in two primary areas. I am interested in the processes that govern employment and earnings of Indian workers and I have contributed to three State of Working India reports alongside other academic work in this area. I am also interested in the interaction between economics and culture, including religion, and have published some academic work in this area. Methodologically, I mostly work with microeconomic models and secondary datasets, but in ongoing work I am also using computational methods like simulations to understand complex phenomena such as networks.
I have a PhD in Economics from the University of Cambridge. I also have an MPhil and a Graduate Diploma in Economics from the University of Cambridge and a B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. I also have experience working in the private sector in technical and administrative roles.
In recent years I have served as the Programme Coordinator for the School of Arts and Sciences, and was the Admissions, and the Placements coordinator for the School before that.
- Bahal, G., & Shrivastava, A. (2021). Supply variabilities in public workfares. Journal of Development Economics, 150, 102608. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387820301838
- Chaudhary, L., Rubin, J., Iyer, S., & Shrivastava, A. (2020). Culture and colonial legacy: Evidence from public goods games. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 173, 107 – 129. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268120300718
- Iyer, S., & Shrivastava, A. (2018). Religious riots and electoral politics in India. Journal of Development Economics, 131, 104 – 122. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387817301025
- State of Working India 2018. (2018). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/state-of-working-india/swi-2018/
- State of Working India 2019. (2019). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/publications/state-of-working-india-2019/
- State of Working India 2021: One year of Covid-19. (2021). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/state-of-working-india/swi-2021/
Articles in newspapers and periodicals
- Basole, A. & Shrivastava, A. (2018, October 3). रोजगार और वेतन संबंधी चुनौतियां . Prabhat Khabar. https://www.prabhatkhabar.com/opinion/1211384
- Basole, A. & Shrivastava, A. (2018, September 5). Did the Indian economy create nearly 13 million jobs in 2017? Hindustan Times. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/did-the-indian-economy-create-nearly-13-million-jobs-in-2017/story-2UJHNBwwAkC0rpLv65xFZI.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2018, May 4). Riots for electoral gains? Business Standard. https://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/riots-for-electoral-gains-118050301496_1.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2017, November 18). Why behavioural economics will not save the world. Economic & Political Weekly. https://www.epw.in/journal/2017/46/commentary/why-behavioural-economics-will-not-save-world.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2012, September 22) An argument without any basis. Economic & Political Weekly. https://www.epw.in/journal/2012/38/discussion/child-sex-ratio-and-sex-selection.html
- Basole, A., Narayanan, R., Shrivastava, A. & Swamy, R. (2020, November 30). The Time Is Right for an Urban Employment Guarantee Programme. The India Forum. https://www.theindiaforum.in/article/time-right-urban-employment-guarantee-programme
- Iyer, S., Shrivastava, A. & Ticku, R. (2017, March 27). Holy wars: Temple desecrations in medieval India. Ideas for India. https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics/social-identity/holy-wars-temple-desecrations-in-medieval-india.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2015, October 7). Economic development and Maoist insurgency. Ideas for India. https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics/governance/economic-development-and-maoist-insurgency.html