Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Labour Economics
- Computational Methods
- Economics of Religion and Culture
Anand Shrivastava teaches Economics at School of Arts and Sciences.
He completed his PhD at the University of Cambridge.
He also has an MPhil and a Graduate Diploma in Economics from the University of Cambridge and a BTech in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
The course will delve into some selected areas of microeconomic theory where there has been active research in recent years and give students the understanding and the tools to engage with these areas.
How did cooperation evolve? Why do stereotypes persist? Why are degrees considered so important? Why do political parties hold rallies
Do we need to study maths to learn economics?
A microeconomic model of a developing economy to understand land, credit, and labour.
An introduction to statistical approaches and computer programming used by economists to study real-world problems.
A rigorous mathematical treatment of the standard models used in economics.
Do individuals calculate their actions to suit consequences? Are individual’s choices purely self-interested? How do individual behaviours affect social institutions? And how can policies take heed to these behaviours?
- Amit Basole, Rosa Abraham, Angarika Rakshit, Vijayamba R, Anand Shrivastava, Tamoghna Halder (2023)
CSE Working Paper Series
- Rosa Abraham, Anand Shrivastava (2023)
- Bahal, G., & Shrivastava, A. (2021). Supply variabilities in public workfares. Journal of Development Economics, 150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2020.102608
- Chaudhary, L., Rubin, J., Iyer, S., & Shrivastava, A. (2020). Culture and colonial legacy: Evidence from public goods games. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 173, 107 — 129. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268120300718
- Iyer, S., & Shrivastava, A. (2018). Religious riots and electoral politics in India. Journal of Development Economics, 131, 104 — 122. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387817301025
- Shrivastava, A. (2017). Why behavioural economics will not save the world. Economic & Political Weekly, 52(46),15 — 17. https://www.epw.in/journal/2017/46/commentary/why-behavioural-economics-will-not-save-world.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2012). An argument without any basis. Economic & Political Weekly, 47(38), 97 — 99. https://www.epw.in/journal/2012/38/discussion/child-sex-ratio-and-sex-selection.html
- State of Working India 2018. (2018). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/state-of-working-india/swi-2018/
- State of Working India 2019. (2019). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/publications/state-of-working-india-2019/
- State of Working India 2021: One year of Covid-19. (2021). Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. https://cse.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/state-of-working-india/swi-2021/
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- Basole, A. & Shrivastava, A. (2018, October 3). रोजगार और वेतन संबंधी चुनौतियां . Prabhat Khabar. https://www.prabhatkhabar.com/opinion/1211384
- Basole, A. & Shrivastava, A. (2018, September 5). Did the Indian economy create nearly 13 million jobs in 2017? Hindustan Times. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/did-the-indian-economy-create-nearly-13-million-jobs-in-2017/story-2UJHNBwwAkC0rpLv65xFZI.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2018, May 4). Riots for electoral gains? Business Standard. https://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/riots-for-electoral-gains-118050301496_1.html
- Basole, A., Narayanan, R., Shrivastava, A. & Swamy, R. (2020, November 30). The time is right for an Urban Employment Guarantee Programme. The India Forum. https://www.theindiaforum.in/article/time-right-urban-employment-guarantee-programme
- Iyer, S., Shrivastava, A. & Ticku, R. (2017, March 27). Holy wars: Temple desecrations in medieval India. Ideas for India. https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics/social-identity/holy-wars-temple-desecrations-in-medieval-india.html
- Shrivastava, A. (2015, October 7). Economic development and Maoist insurgency. Ideas for India. https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics/governance/economic-development-and-maoist-insurgency.html