Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Employment Structural Change
- Artisanal Economies
Amit Basole is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
He is heads the Centre for Sustainable Employment and works on “jobless growth” in India. He also teaches Economics, at the University.
Amit has worked at the University since 2017. He has taught at Bucknell University and the University of Massachusetts, Boston. He has a PhD in Economics from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst as well as a PhD in Neuroscience from Duke University. Prior to that he attended the University of Mumbai for a Bachelors in Microbiology and the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai for a Masters in Molecular Biology.
His recent research projects include causes of declining calorie consumption in India, impacts of subcontracting on informal firms, knowledge sharing in informal industrial clusters, conditions of work for home-based women workers, the economics of Geographical Indications, and skill acquisition in the informal economy.
He has a particular interest in people’s’ knowledge traditions and their significance in creating alternatives to the paradigm of “Development.” He also writes for non-academic audiences at ideasforindia.in, sanhati.org, dialog.in, WION, and other online fora.
The principal problems of developing economies with a focus on policy.
Publications and Writings
Basole A, ed. (2015) Lokavidya Perspectives: A Philosophy of Political Imagination for the Knowledge Age, Aakar Books, New Delhi.
- Basole A (2016) Informality and Flexible Specialization: Apprenticeships and Knowledge Spillovers in an Indian Silk Weaving Cluster, Development and Change, Vol 47, No. 1, pp. 157 – 187.
- Basole A and Basu D (2015) Non-Food Expenditures and Consumption Inequality in India, Economic and Political Weekly, 50:36, pp. 43 – 53.
- Basole A (2015) Authenticity, Innovation and the Geographical Indication in an Artisanal Industry: The Case of the Banarasi Sari, Journal of World Intellectual Property, 18:3/4, pp. 127 – 149.
- Basole A, Basu D, and Bhattacharya R (2015) Determinants and Impacts of Subcontracting: Evidence from India’s Unorganized Manufacturing Sector, International Review of Applied Economics, 29:3, pp.374- 402.
- Basole A and Basu D (2015) Fueling Calorie Intake Decline: Household Level Evidence from Rural India (with Deepankar Basu), World Development, 68:82 – 95.
- Basole A (2014) Dynamics of Income Inequality in India: Insights from World Top Incomes Database, Economic and Political Weekly, 49:40, pp.14 – 17.
- Basole, A (2014) Whose Knowledge Counts? Reinterpreting Gandhi for the Information Age, International Journal of Hindu Studies, 18:3, pp.1 – 44.
- Basole A (2013) Class-biased Technical Change and Socialism, Rethinking Marxism: A Journal of Economics, Culture, and Society, 25: 4, pp. 592 – 601.
- Basole A and Basu D (2011) Relations of Production and Modes of Surplus Extraction in India: Part Two- Informal Industry Economic and Political Weekly, 46: 15, pp. 63 – 79.
- Basole A and Basu D (2011) Relations of Production and Modes of Surplus Extraction in India: Part One- Agriculture Economic and Political Weekly, 46:14, pp. 41 – 58.
- Basole A, Kreft-Kerekes V, White LE and Fitzpatrick D (2006) Cortical Cartography Revisited: A Frequency Perspective on the Functional Architecture of Visual Cortex. Progress in Brain Research, 154:121 – 34.
- Sanyal S, Consoulos C, Kuromi H, Basole A, Mukai L, Kidokoro Y, Krishnan KS and Ramaswami M (2005) Analysis of conditional paralytic mutants in Drosophila SERCA reveals novel mechanisms for regulating membrane excitability. Genetics, 169(2):737 – 50.
- Basole A, White LE and Fitzpatrick D (2003) Mapping multiple features in the population response of visual cortex. Nature, 423:986 – 990.
- Sanyal S, Basole A and Krishnan KS (1999) Phenotypic interaction between temperature sensitive paralytic mutants comatose and paralytic suggests a role for N- ethylmaleimide sensitive fusion factor in synaptic vesicle cycling in Drosophila. Journal of Neuroscience, 19:RC47 (1−5).
- Sanyal S and Basole A (1999) Neural complexity underlying simple behavior. Journal of Bioscience, 24:255 – 257
- Basole A and Jayadev A (forthcoming) Employment Guarantee in the Age of Precarity: The Case of India’s National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, in Joseph Stiglitz and Kalle Moene (eds.), Welfare and Inequality, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Basole A (2016) The Agrarian Question in India, in Ravi Kumar, ed. Contemporary Readings in Marxism: A Critical Introduction, Aakar Books, New Delhi.
- Basole A and Ramnarain S (2016) Qualitative and Ethnographic Methods in Economics, in Frederic S. Lee and Bruce Cronin eds. Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Heterodox Economics, Edward Elgar, Northampton.
- Basole A (2016) Spare Change for Spare Time? Homeworking Women in Banaras, in Saraswati Raju and Santosh Jatrana eds. Women Workers in Urban India, New Delhi: Cambridge University Press.
- Basole A (2015) Knowledge, Work, and Education, in A. Basole ed. Lokavidya Perspectives: A Philosophy of Political Imagination for the Knowledge Age, Aakar Books, New Delhi.
- Basole A (2015) Lokavidya Goes Virtual: Indigenous Knowledge in the Gatesian Age, in A. Basole, ed. Lokavidya Perspectives: A Philosophy of Political Imagination for the Knowledge Age, Aakar Books, New Delhi.
- Sahasrabudhey S and Basole A (2015) Reinventing the Indian University: Arguing from a lokavidya standpoint, in A. Basole, ed. Lokavidya Perspectives: A Philosophy of Political Imagination for the Knowledge Age, Aakar Books, New Delhi.
- Basole A (2013) Gandhian Economics in a Knowledge Society, in Tara Sethia and Anjana Narayan eds. The Living Gandhi: Lessons for Our Times. Penguin India.
- Basole A and Bhattacharya R (2009) The Phantom of Liberty: Mo(der)nism and Postcolonial Imaginations in India, in Rajani Kanth ed., The Challenge of Eurocentrism: Global Perspectives, Policy, and Prospects. NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Basole A (2009) Eurocentrism, the University and Multiplicity of Knowledge Production Sites, in Edu-Factory Collective ed., Toward a Global Autonomous University: Cognitive Labor, The Production of Knowledge and Exodus from the Education Factory NY: Autonomedia.
- Basole A (2017) The Politics and Economics of Demonetisation, Pratiman (Hindi), 4:8, 1 – 11.
- Basole A (2017) What Does the Rural Economy Need: ANaysis of the Promises for Rural India, Economic and Political Weekly, Union Budget Special Issue, March 4, 2017.
- Basole A (2014) The Informal Sector from a Knowledge Perspective, Yojana: A Development Monthly, October 2014.
- Basole A (2010) The Technology Question in Lohia. Economic and Political Weekly, 45: 44, pp. 106 – 111.
- Review of “Reading Marx’s Capital in the Information Age” by Christian Fucks, Rethinking Marxism, forthcoming.
- Review of “India’s New Economic Policy: A Critical Analysis” by Waquar Ahmed, Amitabh Kundu, and Richard Peet, Rethinking Marxism, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0893… of “Economics for Everyone: A Short Guide to the Economics of Capitalism” by Jim Stanford, Review of Radical Political Economics, 43:4, 584 (Winter 2011).
- Review of “Internet and Society: Social Theory in the Information Age” by Christian Fuchs, Review of Radical Political Economics, 42:4, 557 – 560 (Fall 2010).
- Review of “Eastern Origins of Western Civilization” by John Hobson, Review of Radical Political Economics, 39:609 – 612 (Fall 2007).
- Birla S and Basole A (2013) Negotiating (with) English in Mumbai’s Informal Economy, Tata Institute of Social Sciences — Max Planck Institute Urban Aspirations Project
- Basole A and Basu D (2013) Consumption, Nutrition and Inequality in Maharashtra, 1987 – 2011.
- A Gender Penalty for Firm Performance in India’s Informal Manufacturing Sector
- Understanding Delayed Structural Change in India (with Deepankar Basu).
- Political Economy of Indian Populism (with Rajesh Bhattacharya)
- The nature of capitalist development in small-town India: A district level analysis (with Rajesh Bhattacharya)
- Artisanal Knowledge and Technical Change: The Case of Banaras Powerlooms
- A model of the artisanal labour market in India (with Anand Shrivastava)