Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Infectious Diseases Biology
- Public Health
- Clinical Diagnostics
- Health in Humanitarian Emergencies
Sherry J Martin is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
He worked with the World Health Organization prior to coming to Azim Premji University and was involved in providing humanitarian health response to Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh in the capacity of ‘Laboratory Consultant’. He also has worked in research positions focusing on infectious diseases research with Christian Medical College, Vellore and VIT University, Vellore. His research has been published in various journals including Journal of Human Genetics, International Journal of Infectious Diseases and Journal of Cellular Biochemistry.
Publications and Writings
- Jeshina Janardhanan, Sherry Joseph Martin, Elisabeth Astrup, R Veeramanikandan, Pål Aukrust, Ooriapadickal C Abraham and George M Varghese. Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in Toll-like receptor (TLR)-2, TLR4 and heat shock protein 70 genes and susceptibility to scrub typhus. Journal of Human Genetics (2013), 58; 707 – 710.
- Sherry Joseph Martin, Udhaya Lavinya Baskaran, Mahima Vedi, Evan Prince Sabina. Attenuation of anti-tuberculosis therapy induced hepatotoxicity by Spirulina fusiformis, a candidate food supplement. Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods (2014), 24(8); 584- 592.
- Sherry Joseph Martin, Evan Prince Sabina. Amelioration of anti-tuberculosis drug induced oxidative stress in kidneys by Spirulina fusiformis in a rat model. Renal Failure (2016), 38(7); 1115 – 1121.
- Sherry Joseph Martin, Evan Prince Sabina. Comparative modulation of levels of oxidative stress in the liver of anti-tuberculosis drug treated wistar rats by vitamin B12, betacarotene, and Spirulina fusiformis: Role of NF-κB, iNOS, IL‑6 and IL-10. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry (2017), DOI: 10.1002/jcb.26032
- George M Varghese, VM Rajagopal, P Trowbridge, D Purushothaman, Sherry Joseph Martin. Kinetics of IgM and IgG antibodies after scrub typhus infection and the clinical implications. International Journal of Infectious Diseases (2018), 71;53 – 55.
- Sherry Joseph Martin, Evan Prince Sabina. Malnutrition and associated disorders in tuberculosis and its therapy. Journal of Dietary Supplements (2019), 16(5); 602 – 610.