Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Issues Associated with Schools
- School Systems Issues
- Schooling Processes in Challenging Locations
- Educational governance and policy and implementation
- Innovative Research Methodologies
- Intervention design, monitoring and evaluation
- Importance of Geography as a discipline
- Disaster risk reduction
- Understanding and Using Maps for Practical Purpose
- Adult Education and Related Policy Issues
A geographer by academic training, I completed M.Phil and Ph.D. from Centre for the Study of Regional Development (CSRD), School of Social Sciences, JNU, New Delhi. Prior to M.Phil, I underwent Research Training Programme with fellowship from the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (CSSSC) under ICSSR. I have keen interest of practising inter-disciplinary approach in teaching and research.
I believe in field-based understanding of ground reality and prefer to use primary data in her research. I have keen interest to explore the challenges associated with schools, school systems and schooling processes in challenging locations and because of this interest, I completed a research project funded by Azim Premji University in Barmer, Rajasthan on the topic “Challenges faced by Public Schools in Chronic Drought Prone Areas”. An amateur painter, I am a hardcore fan of Bengali literature especially of Rabindranath Tagore and Kazi Nazrul Islam.
My interest of exploring various types of domains inspired me to get involved in various types of organisations ranging from NGOs, research organisations to university. Prior to joining this university, I worked at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC) Bangalore, for project on mid-term evaluation of the 11th Five Year Plan. I worked in the editorial team of monthly magazines GIS@development, ICT in development (‘i4d’ magazine) published by Centre for Science, Development and Media Studies (CSDMS), Noida, and worked in a research project in the State Resource Centre, Haryana which focused on National Literacy Mission of the Government of India. I also taught at Hamdard Education Society in New Delhi as a faculty for 2 years.
This course provides students with the necessary knowledge of a few key areas of content knowledge and prepares them to teach these subjects effectively.
Apply the basic principles of teaching three disciplines covered in Sociology, Economics and Geography.
Studying schools as the most basic unit of a formal education system
Understanding the factors that shape the school systems in India.
A critical aspect of a study of public-school systems.
- Paik, S (2021). Building Resilience in Schools and Communities in India: Needs and Possibilities. Know Disasters, May-June 2021.
- Paik, S. (2020). Educational policies and practices: a critical perspective. Learning Curve, 6, 63 – 66.
- Paik, Saswati (2018, March 19). Disasters and Exclusion from Education. Geography and You.
- Paik, Saswati (2017, August). Educational Policies in Challenging Areas. The Learning Curve.
- Paik, Saswati (2014, October). Time to anticipate natural disasters, Education World. www.educationworldonline.net/index.php/page-article-choice-more-id-4255
- Paik, Saswati (2014, February). RTE Act demands changed mindset, Education World. www.educationworldonline.net/index.php/page-article-choice-more-id-3489
- Paik, Saswati (2010, Dec. 07). ‘Land’ Where We Stand. Geospatial World. https://www.geospatialworld.net/article/land-where-we-stand/
- Paik, Saswati (2009). Count Them In Too, i4d, VII(3)
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Creating A Professional ‘ID’, Digital Learning, IV(12)
- Paik, Saswati (2008). ICT and Human Rights, i4d, VI(3)
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Telecentres and Community Life, i4d, VI(1)
- Paik, Saswati (2007, February 26). Thinking of One Step Further, Panorama
- Paik, Saswati (2007). Telecentres and Community Life, i4d, V(1)
- Paik, Saswati (2006). History of Internet: On the verge of 50 years, i4d, IV(1)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Unwind the red ribbon, i4d, III(12)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Reflecting on the future, i4d, III(11)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Knowledge revolution in India, i4d, III(10)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Witness for social justice, i4d, III(7)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Bridging the digital divide in health, i4d, III(5)
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Basic education beyond MDG, i4d, III(4)
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Community Radio: Reaching the Unreached, i4d, II(9)
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Tel(e) Learning centres, i4d, II(9)
- Paik, Saswati (2004). South Asian Potpourri, i4d, II(8)
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Role of Community Radio, i4d, II(8)
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Land, Where we Stand, GIS@development, 5(9)
- Paik, Saswati (2001). GIS: Bringing Sense to Census, GIS@development, 5(6)
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Taking Care with GIS: Status and Prospects, GIS@development, 4(6)
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Great Idea, but…GIS@development, 4(4)
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Saraswati: Where lies the mystery? GIS@development, 4(2)
- Paik, Saswati (1999). International Scenario, GIS @development, 3(5)
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Census: Where will it take us? GIS@development, 3(4)
- Paik, Saswati (1999).Atlas of Women and Men in India. GIS@development. 3(4) : 57.
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Countries may be different…not the sufferings, GIS@development, 3(3)
- Paik, Saswati and Raghu Kumar (2015, December). Natural Disasters and Impact on Schools in India, Disaster: Response and Management of LBSNAA, Mussoorie, 3(1).
- Madheswaran, S., and Saswati Paik (2010). Labour Vulnerability and Debt Bondage in Contemporary India. Journal of Social and Economic Development, 12 (2), 227 – 230.
- Paik, Saswati, Satyaprakash and Rumi Mallick (2005). ICT in community learning – The example of Mapping the Neighbourhood project. Information Technology, Society and Education, James Nicholson Publishers. ICT Community Learning Centres in the Asia-Pacific region: The global relevance of emerging models (ed. Cameron Richards PhD), 6(1), pp 55 – 61.
Chapter in Edited book
- Paik, Saswati (2020). Disruption in School education in Drought Prone Areas. Drought Risk Management in South and South-East Asia, 283.
- Paik, Saswati (2018). Impact of natural disasters on schools in India: current scenario in terms of policies and practices. In Disaster Risk Governance in India and Cross Cutting Issues (pp. 295 – 312). Springer, Singapore.
- Paik, Saswati, & Tiwari, P. (2017). Mapping Schools in Areas Prone to Natural Hazards in India: Understanding Context to Plan for Long-Term Benefit. In International Expert Forum: Mainstreaming Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Education (pp. 405 – 424). Springer, Singapore.
- Paik, Saswati and Tamal Pal (2003). “Forest Conservation vis-à-vis Soil and Water Conservation”. In Forest Conservation and Management, pp. 186 – 198. International Book Distributors, Rajpur Road, Dehra Dun, 2003. [Brief contents of the book is available at https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no32687.htm]
- Paik, S (2021). When Schools look like the ‘Garden of Selfish Giant’! May 26, 2021. therise.co.in
- Mehta, Simi, Saswati Paik and Arjun Kumar (2020). Children’s day? Pandemic exposes faultlines, class divisions ‘bravely borne’ by kids. https://www.counterview.net/2020/11/childrens-day-pandemic-exposes.html
- Paik, Saswati (2020). An Educationist’s Reflections on the NEP 2020 and its Potential for Shaping the Child’s Future. https://www.thenewleam.com/2020/08/an-educationists-reflections-on-the-nep-2020-and-its-potential-for-shaping-the-childs-future/
- Paik, S (2020). The Coronavirus Pandemic is Here, and so is the Need to Refrain from Panic. https://www.thenewleam.com/2020/03/the-coronavirus-pandemic-is-here-and-so-is-the-need-to-refrain-from-panic/
- Paik, Saswati (2019). The ‘Dark Zone’ of School Education: A Reflection. https://practiceconnect.azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/the-dark-zone-of-school-education-a-reflection/
- Paik, Saswati (2017). Don’t Wait for Another Mishap. https://www.thenewleam.com/tag/dr-saswati-paik/
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Field Visit in Dantewada. http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/pdf/Dantewada-Trip-Saswati.pdf
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Public School System and Mushrooming of Private Schools. The Dialogue. www.thedialogue.co/public-school-system-mushrooming-private-schools/
- Paik, Saswati (2000, March 25). Problem of Riverbank Erosion, The Statesman.
*She has a few write-ups in Bengali journals and newspapers too (not mentioned here).
- Paik, Saswati (July 30, 2021). Resilience in Schools and Communities in India: The need of the hour. Webinar on ‘Building Back Resilience’ organised by Know Disasters Magazine. (Webinar)
- Paik, Saswati (Dec 23, 2020). Learning Crisis leading to a Generational Catastrophe amid the Coronavirus Pandemic: Impact on Children’s Education and Gender Equality. www.impriindia.com/event-report/learning-crisis-leading-to-a-generational-catastrophe-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic/ (Webinar)
- Paik, Saswati, Arpitha J K, Murali Krishna (2020). Use of Indian Language Teaching and Teaching of Tribal Language as Mother Tongue and Practical Challenges Associated: Case Study from Porta Cabins in Sukma, Chhattisgarh. National Seminar in NCERT in March 2020 (it got postponed due to Covid crisis).
- Paik, Saswati, Elwin Varughese and Linnet Damien (2020). Inclusive Leadership in Schools in A Challenging Context: A Case Study from Barmer, Rajasthan. Submitted for presentation in National Conference on School Leadership Practices 2020 organised by Department of Teacher Education National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi in February 2020.
- Paik, Saswati and Pankaj Tiwari (2017). Mapping Schools in Disaster-prone Areas in India: Understanding Context to Plan for Long-Term Benefit. International Expert Forum on “Mainstreaming Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Education” 1 — 2 December, 2017 at AIT, Thailand.
- Paik, Saswati (2017). School Education in Challenging Locations with Tribal Population: Existing Policies and Practices. Paper presented in National Seminar on “Isolation, Disparity and Deprivation of Tribal Population and Their Mainstreaming” in Tonk Government College, Rajasthan, Feb 27, 2017.
- Paik, Saswati (2015). Self-Assessment among School Teachers. Interactive Discussion on Understanding Teachers’ Work: Teacher Education, Professional Development and Strategies for Support, NIAS, Bengaluru, April 21, 2017.
- Paik, Saswati (2015). Mapping schools in disaster prone areas: Geographers’ role in policies and plans for school systems, presented at NAGI Conference, University of Jammu, December 2 – 4, 2015.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). ‘School Leadership’ as perceived by School Leaders undergoing Transformation through Leadership Development Programme: A Case Study from Karnataka, presented at the International Seminar on School Leadership: Policy, Practice and Research, at the India International Centre in New Delhi, held on November 17 and 18, 2014.
- Paik, Saswati (2012). Knowledge, Attitude and Perspective about Practices of ELDP Participants: Some Interesting Findings from Baseline Data (co-authored), presented in Manthan 2012 organised by Azim Premji University, Bangalore, July 2012.
- Paik, Saswati (2011). Leadership Development Programmes for Schools: An Ongoing Initiative in Karnataka (co-authored), presented in the Annual Conference of CESI at Hyderabad, November 2011.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2003). Water resource maps in India: evolution and revolution, presented in International Conference on National and Regional Atlases held at Science City, Kolkata, February 22 – 24, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and Sachidanand Sinha (2003). Target Groups of National Literacy Mission: A Critical Analysis of Haryana with special reference to 2001Provisional Figures on Literates, presented in National Seminar on Demographic Dynamism with a Special Focus on Census 2001, Department of Geography, Punjab University, Chandigarh, February 11 – 12, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2002). Prof. S.P.Chatterjee and Hydrogeomorphological Studies, presented in S.P.Chatterjee Memorial Lecture in Calcutta University, Kolkata, August 18, 2002.
- Paik, Saswati (2002). GIS in Rural Development: Realities and Prospect, presented in the National Seminar on GIS Application in Micro Level Planning, February 18 – 19, 2002, NIRD, Hyderabad.
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Floods and Associated Problems in the Gangetic West Bengal: Experiences from Malda and Murshidabad Districts, presented in the 22nd IIG Conference at Visva Bharati, Shantiniketan, West Bengal, January 10, 2001.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Floods and Associated Problems: Experiences from Gangetic West Bengal, paper presented at National Conference on Disaster Management, jointly organised by CSDMS and NCDM, IIPA, at Teen Murti Bhawan on October 11 – 12, 2000, New Delhi.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). The Shifting of International River and Relevance for Effective Border Management: A Micro Level Study in Murshidabad, paper presented at National Conference in Search of Paradigm Shift in Border Management, BSF Head Quarters, Delhi, April, 2000.
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Flood Hazard and Bank Erosion in Murshidabad District, West Bengal, presented at DSA Seminar, CSRD, JNU, New Delhi, March 1999.
- Report: Evaluation of the Educational Leadership Development Programme (ELDP) (2013). Centre for Budget and Policy Studies (CBPS), Bangalore. https://cbps.in/wp-content/uploads/CBPS_ELDP_Final-Report.pdf
- Mid-term appraisal of the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2011). Oxford University Press. https://niti.gov.in/planningcommission.gov.in/docs/plans/mta/11th_mta/chapterwise/Comp_mta11th.pdf