Areas of Interest & Expertise
Adult Education and Related Policy Issues, Issues Associated with Schools, School Systems and Schooling Processes in Challenging Locations, Understanding and Using Maps for Practical Purpose, New and Innovative Research Methodologies, Interventions in the Field of Education
Saswati is a faculty with the School of Education.
She is a hard core fan of Tagore’s write-up, an amateur painter and a path finder of rural India facing complex challenges associated with education system, She has been involved in research on social issues since 1997. She has completed my M.Phil and Ph.D. from Centre for the Study of Regional Development (CSRD), School of Social Sciences, JNU, New Delhi. My M.Phil dissertation topic focused on shifting course of the river Ganga/Padma, bank erosion and population displacement in West Bengal and doctoral thesis focused on socio-economic dynamics of adult education with special focus on National Literacy Mission (NLM).
Prior to doctoral research, she completed her Masters in Geography from Visva Bharati, Santiniketan and then completed Research Training Programme in Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (CSSSC).
Right now, she is working in a project to understand the challenges faced by schools and school systems in chronic drought prone areas in Barmer, Rajasthan.
Previously she worked at Institute for Social and Economic Change, ISEC, Bangalore, for projects on mid-term evaluation of 11th Five Year Plan. Also she worked as a researcher in the editorial team of monthly magazine GIS@development published by Centre for Science, Development and Media Studies (CSDMS), Noida, where she used to write on use of Geographic Information System (GIS) and remote sensing in various development sectors such as health, education, transport etc. Later she moved over to ICT in development (‘i4d’ — ICT for Development) as Sr. Asst. Editor. She also worked in a research project in the State Resource Centre, Haryana which focused on National Literacy Mission of the Government of India. She also taught at Hamdard Education Society in New Delhi.
Publications and Writings
Research Papers published in Journals
- Paik, Saswati and Raghu Kumar (2015). Natural Disasters and Impact on Schools in India, Disaster: Response and Management of LBSNAA, Mussoorie, Vol 3, No 1. pp. 30 – 39
- Paik, Saswati, Satyaprakash and Rumi Mallick (2005). ICT in community learning — The example of Mapping the Neighbourhood project in Information Technology, Society and Education, Vol. 6, No. 1,James Nicholson Publishers. ICT Community Learning Centres in the Asia-Pacific region: The global relevance of emerging models (ed. Cameron Richards) pp 55 – 61.
Book Chapter published
- Paik, Saswati and Tamal Pal (2003). Forest Conservation vis-a-vis Soil and Water ConservationInP.Rethy, P.P.Dabral, Binay Singh and K.K.Sood (eds.), Forest Conservation and Management, Dehra Dun: International Book Distributors.
- Paik, Saswati et al. “Impact of Natural Disasters on Schools in India: Current Scenario in Terms of Policies and Practices” in an edited book ‘Disaster Risk Governance in India and Cross Cutting Issues’ Springer, Singapore.
Book Review published
- Madheswaran,S and Saswati Paik (2010). Book review ‘Labour Vulnerability and Debt Bondage in Contemporary India’. Journal of Social and Economic Development, Institute for Social and Economic Change,Vol 12, Issue 2.
Research Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars
- Paik, Saswati (2017). School Education in Challenging Locations with Tribal Population: Existing Policies and Practices. National Seminar on “Isolation, Disparity and Deprivation of Tribal Population and Their Mainstreaming” in Tonk Government College, Rajasthan, Feb 27, 2017.
- Paik, Saswati (2015). Mapping schools in disaster prone areas: Geographers’ role in policies and plans for school systems. NAGI Conference, University of Jammu, December 2 – 4, 2015.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). ‘School Leadership’ as perceived by School Leaders undergoing Transformation through Leadership Development Programme: A Case Study from Karnataka.International Seminar on School Leadership: Policy, Practice and Research, held on November 17 and 18, 2014 at the India International Centre in New Delhi.
- Paik, Saswati (2012). Leadership Development Programmes for Schools: An Ongoing Initiative in Karnataka. CESI Conference, Hyderabad, 2012.
- Paik, Saswatiand Ashish Tripathi(2012). Knowledge, Attitude and Perspective about Practices of ELDP Participants: Some Interesting Findings from Baseline Data. Manthan 2012 organised by AzimPremji University, Bangalore, July 2012.
- Paik, Saswati (2012). Innovative practices in education programmes: Evidence of KAP study. E‑India 2012. Hyderabad. November, 2012.
- Paik, Saswati (2011). Leadership Development Programmes for Schools: An Ongoing Initiative in Karnataka (co-authored). The Annual Conference of CESI at Hyderabad, November 2011.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2003). Water resource maps in India: evolution and revolution. International Conference on National and Regional Atlases held at Science City, Kolkata, February 22 – 24, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and Sachidanand Sinha (2003).Target Groups of National Literacy Mission: A Critical Analysis of Haryana with special reference to 2001Provisional Figures on Literates. National Seminar on Demographic Dynamism with a Special Focus on Census 2001, Department of Geography, Punjab University, Chandigarh, February 11 – 12, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2002). Prof. S.P.Chatterjee and Hydrogeomorphological Studies. S.P.Chatterjee Memorial Lecture in Calcutta University, Kolkata, August 18, 2002.
- Paik, Saswati (2002). GIS in Rural Development: Realities and Prospect. The National Seminar on GIS Application in Micro Level Planning, February 18 – 19, 2002, NIRD, Hyderabad.
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Floods and Associated Problems in the Gangetic West Bengal: Experiences from Malda and Murshidabad Districts. The 22nd IIG Conference at VisvaBharati, Shantiniketan, West Bengal, January 10, 2001.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Floods and Associated Problems: Experiences from Gangetic West Bengal. National Conference on Disaster Management, jointly organised by CSDMS and NCDM, IIPA, at Teen MurtiBhawan on October 11 – 12, 2000, New Delhi.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). The Shifting of International River and Relevance for Effective Border Management: A Micro Level Study in Murshidabad, National Conference in Search of Paradigm Shift in Border Management, BSF Head Quarters, Delhi, April, 2000.
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Flood Hazard and Bank Erosion in Murshidabad District, West Bengal. DSA Seminar, CSRD, JNU, New Delhi, March 1999.
Articles published in magazines and online forums
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Field Visit in Dantewada.
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Public School System and Mushrooming of Private Schools. The Dialogue.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). Time to anticipate natural disasters, Education World, October 2014.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). RTE Act demands changed mindset, Education World, February 2014.
- Paik, Saswati (2009). Count Them In Too, i4d, vol VII, No. 3
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Creating A Professional ‘ID’, Digital Learning, Vol. IV Issue 12
- Paik, Saswati (2008). ICT and Human Rights, i4d, vol VI, no. 3
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Telecentres and Community Life, i4d, vol VI, no. 1
- Paik, Saswati (2007). Thinking of One Step Further, Panorama, February 26, 2007
- Paik, Saswati (2006). History of Internet: On the verge of 50 years, i4d, vol IV, no. 1
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Unwind the red ribbon, i4d, vol III, no. 12
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Reflecting on the future, i4d, vol III, no. 11
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Knowledge revolution in India, i4d, vol III, no. 10
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Witness for social justice, i4d, vol III, no. 7
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Bridging the digital divide in health, i4d, vol. III, no. 5
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Basic education beyond MDG, i4d, vol. III, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Community Radio: Reaching the Unreached, i4d, vol. II, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Tel(e) Learning centres, i4d, vol. II, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2004). South Asian Potpourri, i4d, vol. II, no. 8
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Role of Community Radio, i4d, vol. II, no. 8
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Land, Where we Stand,GIS@development, vol. 5, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2001). GIS: Bringing Sense to Census, GIS@development, vol. 5, no. 6
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Problem of Riverbank Erosion, The Statesman, March 25, 2000
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Taking Care with GIS: Status and Prospects, GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 6
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Great Idea, but, GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Saraswati: Where lies the mystery? GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 2
- Paik, Saswati (1999). International Scenario, GIS @development, vol. 3, no. 5
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Census: Where will it take us?GIS@development, vol. 3, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Countries may be different, not the sufferings, GIS@development, vol. 3, no. 3