This annual conference is jointly hosted by Azim Premji University, St Joseph’s University, Bengaluru, and the Mathematics Teachers’ Association (India). It aims to bring together undergraduate mathematics teachers to share and reflect upon their teaching practices.
The emphasis is on creating a supportive community of teachers to have conversations about obstacles students and teachers face in the teaching and learning process, and pedagogical and other methods that help overcome them.
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive gathering and especially welcome participants from socially and economically marginalised groups.
You can write to us at email@example.com
- Dr Bhaba Kumar Sarma, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati
- Dr Fozia Qazi, Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST), Awantipora, Jammu and Kashmir
- Dr CR Pradeep, Channabasaveshwara Institute of Technology, Gubbi
Panel discussion on addressing academic diversity in classrooms:
- Dr Joseph Varghese, Christ University, Bengaluru
- Dr Senthil Raani, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Berhampur, Odisha
- Dr K Sandhya, Telangana Social Welfare Residential Degree College (TSWRDC), Warangal West
- Dr Vanishree RK, Maharani Cluster University, Bengaluru
- Dr Madhu B, Regional Institute of Education, Mysuru
- Dr Shantha Bhushan, Azim Premji University
Short presentations by each participant
You can find the schedule here.
10 and 12 July 2023
Azim Premji University
Survey No 66
Bikkanahalli Main Road
11 July 2023
St Joseph’s University,
36 Lalbagh Road,
Transportation will be arranged between the two venues
1. Who is the audience for my talk?
Your audience will consist of mathematics college teachers.
2. How long should my talk be?
You should plan for a 10 – 15 minute talk.
3. When will my registration be confirmed?
We will confirm acceptance of abstracts within a week of registration closing (15 May 2023). If your abstract is selected, we will ask you to confirm your participation by end-May.
4. Can I register and participate without submitting an abstract for a talk?
No, we would like to hear from all participants. We hope for a rich discussion based on a variety of experiences. Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions.
5. I don’t have a background in mathematics education. Am I still eligible to submit an abstract?
Yes, the conference is on the practice of teaching. We welcome talks on research conducted in UG mathematics teaching but assume only a small number of participants come from an education background.
If you teach mathematics to undergraduate students, we hope you will consider submitting an abstract based on your practices and experiences.
7. Must all talks be in English?
The conference will primarily be in English, but we welcome talks in other Indian languages. Please contact us if you would like to discuss possibilities.
8. Will you be publishing conference proceedings?
When submitting an abstract, we will ask you to indicate if you would like to submit an article based on it. These articles will be collected and published.
9. Is there a registration fee?
10. What is the conference venue?
The conference will be at Azim Premji University, Bengaluru, Sarjapura and at St Joseph’s University, Bengaluru. Transport will be provided to all participants between these two venues.
12. Can I participate online?
No. We are planning this as an in-person event.
13. Can people from outside Bengaluru/Karnataka register?
Yes, but we can only provide accommodation for a limited number of people. If you would like to apply for accommodation, please indicate this when you submit your abstract. Accommodation will be provided whenever possible and will be free (including food).