Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Migration Histories
- Agrarian Histories
- Environmental Histories
- Climate Histories
- Public Histories
- Frontier Histories
- Oral Histories
Subir received his MA, MPhil and PhD in History from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. He has worked on histories of agrarian migration and migrants in colonial Assam.
Most recently, he has taught at Indraprastha College for Women and Institute of Home Economics, both under University of Delhi, before joining Azim Premji University.
He has been a co-investigator in a project consortium ‘Climate Change, Uncertainty, and Social Transformation’ in collaboration with the Institute of Development Studies, UK, University of Sussex, and Norwegian University of Life Sciences funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
He is a research associate with the Centre for World Environmental History (CWEH), University of Sussex, UK.
His research has been published in Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences by Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla and in an edited volume with Primus.
He has also authored undergraduate course material for Uttarakhand Open University.
His latest research is a co-authored chapter in a forthcoming edited book on ‘Uncertainty’, which will be published by Routledge, London.
He loves cooking, playing badminton and aspires to trek and cruise across historical sites.
An inquiry into the 'origin' questions of India: Geological, ecological, cultural and political
How did modernity come to be in India and what shaped it as it is?
Chapters in Edited Books
- Dey, S. (2018). Wanted in Market but Unwanted in Society: Perceptions of East Bengali Settlers in Public Sphere and Market during Early Twentieth Century. In Nag, S., & Alam, I. (Eds.), Blending Nation and Region: Essays in honour of Late Professor Amalendu Guha (pp. 440 — 468). Primus Books. https://primusbooks.com/blending-nation-region/
- Dey, S. (2013). Growth of Indian Nationalism: Initial Phase. In Indian National Movement Bachelor of Arts History, 202. Uttarakhand Open University, Haldwani.
- Dey, S. (2017). Pairing spare demography with spare Geographies: Some historical reflections on discourses of settlement in late 19th century Assam. Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities. XXIV(1), 36 — 57. http://126.96.36.199:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/4637/1/SHSS%20Article%2024.3.pdf
- Dey, S. (2016). Welcoming the Miyan: A case study of settlement practices of East Bengali cultivators in Nowgong, Assam,1920 — 1938. Vidyasagar University Journal of History, 4, 41 — 53. http://inet.vidyasagar.ac.in:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/1853/1/4%20Welcoming%20the%20Miyan.pdf
- Dey, S. (2018). Rains in Chennai, 2017: A historic view. India accelerates in building resilience,166, 07 — 08. http://www.aidmi.org/sub-images/publication/166%20Snet%20India%20Accelerates%20Building%20Resilience.pdf
- Dey, S. (2017, June 16). Civilisation at the edge of nature: Mousuni Island in the Sundarbans. Institute of Development Studies. http://www.ids.ac.uk/opinion/civilisation— at— the— edge— of— nature— mousuni— island— in— the— sundarbans