In this episode of Yun Hota To Kya Hota — The World Of Ghalib, host Amit Basole ponders the enigma of Ghalib the lover. How did Ghalib speak of love? Whom did Ghalib love? He transports you to the heart of the ghazal.
Listen to Episode 2 on our YouTube channel
In most of Ghalib’s verses, he is deliberately ambiguous about the gender and identity of the beloved that he is talking about. This is in keeping with the conventions of the classical ghazal.
Zia Mohyeddin, the British-Pakistani actor renowned for giving voice to the lyrical seduction of Ghalib’s poetry, died on February 13, 2023. Ghalib is a state of mind beyond the narrow confines of nation, religion and other notional boxes in which we find ourselves bracketed. This transcendence comes achingly to mind as we mourn the passing of Zia Saheb. This episode is a tribute to his memory.
Akshay Ramuhalli, Bijoy Venugopal, Bruce Lee Mani, Narayan Krishnaswamy, Prashant Vasudevan, Sananda Dasgupta, Seema Seth, Shraddha Gautam, Supriya Joshi and Velu Shankar
- Zia Mohiuddin Videos | Rekhtarekhta.org
- YouTube | Composition of music by Swati Phadke and recited by Pubali Mattoo #GhazalGuruvaar #10 — Aane ka muntazar tere — Smt. Swati Phadke | Mah Laqa Bai Chanda
- YouTube | Taskeen ko Hum Na Royen — Mirza Ghalib, Sung by Farid Ayaz & Abu Muhammad
- YouTube | Dil Se Teri Nigah Jiggar Tak Utar Gayi | Rahat Fateh Ali Khan | Ghazal | Mirza Ghalib
- YouTube: Zia Mohyeddin recites Mirza Ghalib’s poetry ‘Azadi Ka Shukr Baja Laao, Gham Na Khao’
- YouTube: Ghalib aur Mein-Zia Mohyeddin
- YouTube: Ghalib aur Mein — Zia Mohyeddin
- YouTube: Imagery of Ghalib (1) — Ahmad Javaid
- YouTube: Ghalib ki ma’ani aafreeni غالب کی معانی آفرینی — Ahmad Javaid
- YouTube: Frances Pritchett: How to Read Ghalib
- YouTube: Ghalib-E-Khasta Ke Baghair | Shamsur Rahman Faruqi with Pavan K. Varma | Jashn-e-Rekhta
- Amazon: When Sun Meets Moon: Gender, Eros, and Ecstasy in Urdu Poetry (Islamic Civilization and Muslim Networks)
More in this series
Ghalib’s Friends And Enemies
Ghalib is timeless, but he is equally very much a man of his times. In this episode, we revisit the man in the moment to hear from his friends, contemporaries and more.
On Faith And Religion
Ghalib’s tongue-in-cheek views on religion would have been inflammatory in the present day. In this episode, discover an aspect of the famed Urdu poet that equally shocks and charms
Ghalib The Philosopher
Was Ghalib being a deliberately difficult poet? Did his poetry demand grappling with the intellect in an effort to understand it? Discover the nuances and twists of Ghalib’s poetry in this episode of Yun Hota Toh Kya Hota with Amit Basole
With this episode of Yun Hota To Kya Hota - The World of Ghalib, host Amit Basole brings the six-part series to a climactic finale, leaving you with signposts and resources to continue your journey of discovery.