About 5 to 15 per cent of children in classrooms in India have a learning disability. Policies mandate that all children need to be part of the regular school system, irrespective of their learning needs. But due to lack of awareness and poor implementation of the policies, children with disabilities are often forced to drop out of school. Teacher preparedness is critical for ensuring that children with learning disability become a part of an inclusive school system.
Teachers need to understand the nature and characteristics of the condition as well as possess the necessary knowledge to adapt the curriculum and modify teaching strategies to help the children cope with the demands of a regular school curriculum and become lifelong autonomous learners.
This requires the creation of a collaborative and inclusive school environment where teachers, parents, school administrators and the community work together in making education meaningful and enriching for every child in the classroom.
The diploma is designed for school teachers and school functionaries to understand learning disability as a condition and develop skills for identification, assessment and application of evidence-based teaching methods in inclusive classrooms.
This diploma is open to practicing regular school teachers, special educators, counsellors and school heads working in private and public school systems in India.
- Deepen the understanding of teachers about the nature and needs of students with learning disabilities and related conditions in classrooms.
- Provide knowledge about the processes of curriculum adaptation, assessment and educational programme planning for students with learning disabilities.
- Enhance teachers’ ability to apply research-based teaching methods for children with learning disabilities in regular school classrooms.
- Develop competencies needed to function as effective inclusive school teachers.
The programme is open to practicing regular school teachers, special educators, counsellors and school heads working in private and public school systems in India with minimum 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Undergraduate in any discipline (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of English (reading, writing, and speaking)
- Step‑1: Online application form with statement of purpose.
- Step‑2: Panel Interview in online mode.
- Fees for the Diploma programme — INR 60,000 (incl. GST)
- Fees for the Certificate programmes — INR 20,000 (incl. GST) per certificate
The fees for both Diploma and Certificate programmes include only tuition fees. There is an additional cost of INR 3500/week for accommodation. Food and travel expense is also additional which has to be borne by the participant.
Note: GST rates are in line with Government guidelines and are subject to change.
Programme Calendar (Tentative)*
|Certificate Programme||Start date of the programme||Face to face interaction (at Bangalore)*|
|Learning Disabilities in the Classroom||16 Feb — 15 May, 2024||15 Apr — 20 Apr, 2024|
|Learning Disability: Identification and Assessment||16 May — 15 Aug, 2024||08 Jul — 12 Jul, 2024|
|Learning Disability: Teaching Methods and Strategies||16 Aug — 15 Nov, 2024||14 Oct — 19 Oct, 2024|
|Inclusive Education for Children with LD||16 Nov — 15 Feb, 2025||06 Jan — 11 Jan, 2025|
*Above dates are indicative and may change. Dates will be re-confirmed one month in advance of each Certificate.
Get in Touch
The 24 credits, 12 months Diploma is offered in a blended mode. with on-line and on-campus interaction.
The Diploma programme comprises four certificate programme (12 weeks duration, 6 credits each) covering key aspects of Learning Disability.
Participants have the flexibility of joining the diploma programme or taking one or more certificate programmes.
- Successful completion of the four certificate programmes leads to award of the Diploma. The Diploma can be completed with a maximum time period of 2 years.
- The on campus components will be held at Azim Premji University, Bengaluru and Bhopal
The programme will be offered in blended mode:
- Online — This will be conducted through lectures, group work, workshops, presentations, readings, participation in discussion forums on Learning Management Systems, audio/video material and regular assessment.
- Face to face interaction — Each of the four certificates of the diploma programme has a face-to-face component that involves one week on-campus engagement, providing opportunities for sharing of learning through intensive group work and interaction with experts and practitioners from the field.
- The on-campus components will be held at Bengaluru and Bhopal. Participants will attend these classes in the enrolled location as indicated in the application form.
- Registering for individual certificate programmes, would entail mandatory attendance in the face-to-face component for the respective certificate.
- Registering for the entire diploma programme would entail mandatory attendance in the face-to-face component in minimum of the two certificate programmes. The participant will have the flexibility of choosing to attend the face-to-face session or completing a project for the remaining two certificate programmes.
- Course 1 — An overview of Learning (2 credits)
- Course 2 — Introduction to Learning Disabilities (2 credits)
- Course 3 — Learning Disabilities and Associated Conditions ( 2 credits)
- Course 1 — Growth and Development (2 credits)
- Course 2 — Screening, Identification and Assessment of Learning Disability (2 credits)
- Course 3 — Observing and Nurturing the Whole Child (2 credits)
- Course 1 — Planning for Intervention and Learning (2 credits)
- Course 2 — Intervention: Process based and Curricular areas (2 credits)
- Course 3 — Intervention: Social, Emotional Behaviour (2 credits)
- Course 1 — Inclusive Education (2 credits)
- Course 2 — Universal Design of Learning and Differentiated Instruction (2 credits)
- Course 3 — Collaboration and Support for Inclusive Education (2 credits)
Total 24 credits