Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Local Governance
- Land Governance
- Election Studies
- Karnataka Politics
Narayana has over two decades of experience in the media, academics and consultancy. With a master’s in economics, he started his career as a journalist with the Bangalore-based English daily, Deccan Herald, and switched to academics after obtaining his doctorate from the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, United Kingdom, with the Ford International Fellowship. Worked as Associate Professor at the School of Media Studies, Manipal University, Manipal and as Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore. He was the Karnataka State Coordinator for the World Bank’s Land Governance Assessment Framework and a consultant for the Karnataka Government’s High-Power Committee on Restructuring the Governance of Bangalore City. He was also a member on the Election Commission of India’s technical committee on electoral literacy. Writes a regularly in Kannada and English newspapers. At Azim Premji University, he teaches courses on governance.
Publications and Writings
Articles, Journal Chapters, Conference Papers
- Narayana A (2020) The Ebb and Flow of Karnataka Politics, the Hindu, June 21
- Narayana A and Pranab R. Choudhury (2020) What Will Liberalized Land Market in Karnataka Mean? Deccan Herald, June 2020
- Narayana A and Pranab R Choudhury (2020) Introduction in Land in India: Issues and Debates, Report, Centre for Land Governance
- Narayana A (2019) Understanding Land in the time of Farmers’ Suicide, The Wire.
- Narayana A (2018) Karnataka Election-2018 How BJP Won, The Indian Express.
- Narayana A (2018) Will Karnataka’s Real, Devout Hindus Please Stand Up, The Caravan.
- Narayana A (2017) The Countdown, Caravan, Volume‑9, Issue‑6.
- Narayana A (2017) Karnataka Model: A New Idiom for an Old Agenda, The Hindu, May 13
- A, Sudhir Krishnaswamy, Vikas Kumar (2011), Lokpal Bill, ‘Lessons from theExperience of Karnataka Lokayukta’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVII, No 1
- Narayana A (2012), Lokpal Bill, ‘Lessons from the Experience of Karnataka Lokayukta’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVII, No 1 (along with Sudhir Krishnaswamy and Vikas Kumar).
- Op-eds in Deccan Herald, Times of India, Caravan and in various Kannada publications.
Presentations at the Conference
- Narayana A, Suraj Jacob and Ashok Sircar (2016), Institutional Design and Quality of Land Administration in Indian States, paper presented at International Conference on Public Policy, Indian Institute of Management, Kolkatta, January 17.
- Narayana A and Nafis Hassan (2014) Bureaucracy in the era of E‑Governance (2014): Observations from Karnataka’, paper presented at the International Conference on Technology, Accountability and Democracy in South Asia and Beyond organized by Stanford University and the University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India.
- (2013) Governance Reforms and Welfare — A study of Karnataka Guarantee of Services to Citizens Act, paper presented at Second Azim Premji University International Conference on Law, Governance and Development: Right to Welfare, Work, Food and Education, Bangalore (along with Nafis Hasan).
- World Bank Land Governance Assessment Project in Karnataka, State Coordinator.
- An ethnographic study of the implementation of the Right to Guarantee of Service to Citizens Acts in India (Co-ordinator), Law, Governance and Development Initiative, Azim Premji University, Bangalore.
- A study of the functioning of the Lokayuktas (anti-corruption ombudsman) in India, Law,Governance and Development Initiative, Azim Premji University, Bangalore.