Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Climate Change
- Risk and Uncertainty
- History of Science and Technology
Aravindhan was formerly a research scholar with the Centre for Climate Change and Sustainability Studies, at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. His current research work focuses on ‘Recycling and Industrial Sustainability in the Indian Economy’ with a focus on informal sector plastic recycling units. He has also worked on the subject of risk perceptions and uncertainty pertaining to technological adoption in agriculture. His research interests include industrial sustainability, climate change, risk and uncertainty.
Climate change: Science, adaptation and mitigation
Introduction to the three critical aspects of the subject- climate science, climate mitigation, and climate adaptation.
Theories and Histories of Development
Histories and theories of development across contexts, tracing changes in the meaning of the practice of development.
Foundations of Social Research and Reasoning
Foundational aspects of research by using examples from developmental research and debates in India.
Ecology and Development in India
The history and socio-economic impact of development interventions on ecological systems.
Publications and Writings
Research Articles (Published)
- Nagarajan, A. (2018). Maharashtra’s War on Plastic. Economic & Political Weekly, 53(24), 11.
- Nagarajan, A., Murari, K. K., Jayaraman, T., & Radhakrishnan, G. (2015). Appraising the Debate on Biodiversity Conservation in the Western Ghats. Economic & Political Weekly, 50(30), 49.
- Nagarajan, Aravindhan. “India’s Waste Problem.” Economic & Political Weekly 54.1 (2019): 27.
- Nagarajan, Aravindhan (2018), “The Development of Transgenic Crop Technologies in India: Past Experiences and Future Prospects,” Review of Agrarian Studies, vol. 8, no. 2.
- Aravindhan, N (2018, June, 4). Paying the Price for Cleaning the City’s Plastic. NewsClick.in.