Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Climate Change
- Just Transition
- Labour Rights
Anuradha Nagaraj has been a journalist for the last 30 years since her graduation in Journalism from the Delhi College of Arts and Commerce (DCAC). Until recently, she was the Correspondent reporting on just transition, climate change, migration and labour rights, at Thomson Reuters Foundation, Chennai.
She was awarded the 2018 Ulrich Wickert International Award for reporting on child rights for her story on the trafficking of young girls from tea gardens in Assam.
Serving as the India Correspondent for Deutsche-Presse Agentur (DPA), she travelled to Pakistan prior to the Agra Summit for a series on bilateral relations; reported on the aftermath of the Gujarat earthquake; covered developing stories in the country and also worked on special features on child trafficking and tuberculosis.
Anuradha began her career at The Indian Express as a reporter and rose to be the city editor of its Delhi edition. Since then, she has held positions of state correspondent in Rajasthan, special correspondent reporting on north Maharashtra from Nashik, and city editor of Deccan Chronicle’s Chennai edition.
Her reporting on politics, crime, human trafficking, climate change, labour rights, migration, just transition, and personal essays have also been published in Scroll, Open Magazine, Caravan Magazine, besides being used globally by subscribers of Reuters News.
A certified media trainer, she has done training workshops for journalists, organisations like Khabar Lahariya, and civil society groups working on human trafficking and labour rights.
Designed to develop the capacity of the students in public writing on social action and change.
- Nagaraj, A., & Srivastava, R. (2023, March 23). India’s shrinking coal jobs fuel distress migration to cities. Context. https://www.context.news/just-transition/indias-shrinking-coal-jobs-fuel-distress-migration-to-cities
- Nagaraj, A. (2023, March 10). The migrant malaise – Search for belonging in Tamil Nadu. NDTV. https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/the-migrant-malaise-search-for-belonging-in-tamil-nadu-3846750
- Nagaraj, A. (2023, January 11). Hockey or health? World cup sucks cash from poor Indian mining hub. Context. https://www.context.news/just-transition/hockey-or-health-world-cup-sucks-cash-from-poor-indian-mining-hub
- Nagaraj, A. (2022, November 04). Indian auto parts makers face job losses as EVs rev up. Context. https://www.context.news/just-transition/indian-auto-parts-makers-face-job-losses-as-evs-rev-up
- Nagaraj, A. (2022, July 28). India’s solar skills training falls flat, as jobs in short supply. Context. https://www.context.news/net-zero/indias-solar-skills-training-falls-flat-as-jobs-in-short-supply
- Nagaraj, A. (2022, November 15). We spoke to the workers who built Qatar’s World Cup dream. Context. https://www.context.news/socioeconomic-inclusion/qatar-risks-own-goal-on-worker-rights-with-world-cup
- Nagaraj, A. (2022, September 28). India’s mining towns left behind despite billions in social funds. So why are locals left behind? Context. https://www.context.news/just-transition/indias-mining-towns-left-behind-despite-billions-in-social-funds
- Nagaraj, A. (2022, August 23). Flash mobs and YouTubers boost India anti-coal mining protest. Context. https://www.context.news/nature/flash-mobs-and-youtubers-boost-india-anti-coal-mining-protest
- Nagaraj, A. (2019, June 12). Indian factories found endangering seamstresses’ health with illegal pills. Thomson Reuters Foundation News. https://news.trust.org/item/20190611234331 – 3s9kb/
- Nagaraj, A. (2018, April 11). Rana Plaza’s ‘forgotten’ victims battle poverty as money dries up. Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/bangladesh-garments-accident-idINKBN1HI0XV
Click here to read more of her articles: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/authors/anuradha-nagaraj