Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Agrarian Relations
- Rural Livelihoods
- Financial Inclusion
- Applied Econometrics
Sunit has a PhD in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. Her doctoral research is a regional analysis of the political economy of agrarian change and accumulation. It revisits the relevance of the agrarian question, based on fieldwork conducted in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
She has MPhil and Master’s degrees in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi. Prior to that, she attended Lady Shri Ram (LSR) College for women, Delhi University for her undergraduate training in Economics.
Her research interests lie at the intersection of development economics, political economy, and agrarian studies.
She has previously worked with the State Bank group and Society for Social and Economic Research (SSER), New Delhi.
Chapter in Edited Book
- Mishra, D. & Arora, S. (2022). Credit unworthy: State of access to credit in rural India. In State of India’s Environment 2022: Down to Earth (pp. 456 – 458). Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi.
- Arora, S. (2021). A Study of Land Distribution, Tenancy and the Land Market in a Central Indian Village, Society for Social and Economic Research (SSER), New Delhi. http://archive.indianstatistics.org/sserwp/sserwp2101.pdf
- Arora, S. (2020). COVID-19 in Rural India. Report No. 27. Society for Social and Economic Research (SSER). New Delhi. https://coronapolicyimpact.org/2020/07/02/rohna_village_madhya_pradesh/
- D’souza, S.A., & Arora, S. (2022, July 27). Caste still decides who holds agricultural land, and how much. Deccan Herald. https://www.deccanherald.com/opinion/panorama/caste-still-decides-who-holds-agri-land-and-how-much-1130718.html
- D’souza, S.A., & Arora, S. (2021, September 30). What gives rise to the rural debt trap? The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/what-gives-rise-to-the-rural-debt-trap-7542634/
- Arora, S. (2020, December 21). By amending Model Mandi Act, MP has pushed its agricultural sector into throes of uncertainty. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/madhya-pradesh-farmers-mandi-act-7113824/
- Arora, S. (2021, March 16). Political economy of farmers’ protests in India. Alice News. https://alicenews.ces.uc.pt/?lang=1&id=33483
- Arora, S. (2020, April 26). COVID-19 in rural India-XXVII: A bleak future for the poorest in MP’s Badora village. Newsclick. https://www.newsclick.in/COVID-19-Rural%20India-Future-Poorest-MP-Badora-Village