Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Local Governance
- Decentralization and Panchayati Raj Institutions
- Public Health and Sanitation
- Process Evaluation and Impact Assessment studies in the context of Rural Development interventions
I have about 15 years of work experience in the development sector, largely in the state of Karnataka. I have worked in the areas of Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs), public health, sanitation and agriculture. I have led evaluation and monitoring studies, action research projects and compilation of District Human Development Reports, together with teaching and capacity building responsibilities. I had also briefly served as a Panchayat Development Officer with the Government of Karnataka. Before joining Azim Premji University, I was associated with Grassroots Research And Advocacy Movement (GRAAM).
I have a dual Masters degree in Computer Science and Agricultural Economics from Kansas State University, USA and a Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Karnataka. Currently I am pursuing a Doctoral degree from the School of Development Studies at TISS, Mumbai, on the topic of bureaucratic decision making at the local level within the Panchayat Raj setup.
At the University, I am currently involved in research on rural governance and service delivery issues. My recent projects attempt to a) understand grassroots planning and its impact on public participation and service delivery and b) assess the implementation of local government interventions in the areas of sanitation and provision of drinking water in rural Karnataka.
Publications and Writings:
- Ayyangar, S., Kashyap, S. N., Prasad, P., & Rishikesh, B. S. (2020). School choice and implementation: Survey evidence across Indian states. Studies in Indian Politics, 2321023020963445.
- Kashyap, S. N. (2016). Factors Influencing the Performance of Primary Health Centres in Select Districts of North Karnataka. BMJ Global Health, 1(Suppl 1), A24 – A24. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2016-EPHPabstracts.31
- Kashyap, S. N., & Balasubramaniam, R. (2012). Arogyashreni: Towards creating a replicable model for community monitoring of primary health centers in Karnataka, India. BMC Proceedings, 6(Suppl 5), O25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1753 – 6561-6-S5-O25
- Lele, S., Purushothaman, S., & Kashyap, S. (2013). Village Commons, Livelihoods and Governance: An Assessment of Karnataka’s Experience. In Livelihood Strategies in Southern India (pp. 135 – 156). Springer India. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978 – 81-322‑1626-1_8
- Purushothaman, S., Hegde, S. S., Patil, S., & Kashyap, S. (2009). People’s Perception of Benefits from a Protected Catchment: A Case Study of Gundal Command in Karnataka. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 64(4).
Research on rural governance and service delivery issues.