The work of the Translations Initiative is focused towards Azim Premji University’s vision of providing access for quality higher education to a larger number of students belonging to diverse socio-economic backgrounds. University believes that availability of quality materials in Indian languages and in addition having quality higher education programmes in Indian languages will make for richer engagement with concepts and ideas. In alignment with University’s strategy and location the focus is to initiate this for MA Education, MA Development and Undergraduate programme in two languages, namely Hindi and Kannada over the next decade. This we believe will help reach out to a diverse community of students, particularly located in small towns and villages, many of whom are unable to access quality higher education.
What we do
- Co-ordinate in identification, selection and ensuring the collation of appropriate and good quality materials already available in Hindi and Kannada.
- Having translated the course materials identified by the Faculty as core for their papers. This effort also extends to the other online or workshop based courses in Hindi or Kannada that the University Resource Centre or the Field teams need and develop with us.
- Emphasizing on Institutional Model for translations wherein academicians from different discipline are involved in translating and reviewing the course readings.
- Encouraging original idea articulation, discussions, debates and discourse building in Hindi and Kannada. This could be through seminars, forums, journal and other means. The effort is to encourage more and more people to read, experience, reflect and write
- Build academic forums of discussion and thinking between faculty and students outside the classroom lecture framework towards comprehension and reflection on that. Develop a group of individuals and institutions with a clear process to undertake academic translations.
- Developing readers in these languages to help student-teachers, teachers, teacher- educators and educationalists in general.
- Strengthening Foundation’s and University’s network and develop vibrant relationship with eminent higher education institutions/ organizations.
- Building a movement to make available quality graduate/ post graduate level text/ readings in Indian languages in different disciplines.
- Publications in Hindi and Kannada– To enable quality original material in Hindi for educationalists, to become available in a forum for discourse on education related issues in Hindi; enrich educational knowledge emerging from grass root experience; to make quality higher education in Hindi accessible and to provide opportunities for making stronger understanding and obtaining enriched knowledge about the diverse and multi-cultural contexts to strengthen the thinking, ideas and discourses on education.
What we mean by an academic translation
- Translated materials must appear to have been written in the target language. It should not appear as a translation but yet should be accurate, have integrity towards the original text. The final text should be cohesive, coherent as well as fluent.
- The syntax and structure of the translation including the Idioms, sentence length, clause and question formation, subject-verb position etc. must align with Hindi / Kannada.
- While the language should be the spoken language we need a balance between colloquial words and the words used in the academia.
- Translations of Materials using large dispersed set of academia formed in to discussion and creating groups
- Seminars and discussion Forums to generate new materials in Hindi and Kannada
- Development of readers in Hindi and Kannada on relevant subjects organised in thematic areas meant for wider academic reading.
- Encouraging writing of co-operative academic books in Hindi and Kannada on relevant themes and areas particularly those where there are large gaps
Subject: ‘Contours of Teaching Work in the Changing context of School Education’ was organized in collaboration with Ambedkar University, Delhi.
Seminar Date: May 23-25, 2017.
Click here for concept note.
Subject: ‘Science and Science Education’ was organized in collaboration with Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali in Hindi and Punjabi.
Seminar Date: October 13, 14 and 15, 2018.
Click here for concept note in Hindi.
Click here for concept note in Punjabi.
Upcoming Seminar in Kannada
Subject: Language and Education
Seminar date: May 6 to 8, 2019
Click here for concept note
First Seminar in Kannada
Subject: ‘Teachers in the present scenario of School Education’ was organized in collaboration with Mysore University, Mysore.
Seminar date: April 16, 17 and 18, 2018
Click here for concept note.