Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Historical and Sociological Study of Caste
- Practices of Knowledge Production
- History and Sociology of Science
- Politics of Caste and Religion
After attaining BTech in Production Engineering, I did MA in Sociology from Mahatma Gandhi (MG) University, Kottayam and MPhil in Science Policy Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. I completed the degrees of MA in History and PhD in History from Emory University, Atlanta, USA.
After finishing PhD in 2012, I taught at Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Tuljapur for a brief period and then joined a Postdoctoral Project funded by Max Weber Stiftung (MWS) at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), New Delhi.
I joined Azim Premji University in May 2015.
- Sunandan, K.N. (2022). Caste, Knowledge and Power: Ways of Knowing in Twentieth Century Malabar. Cambridge University Press.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Sunandan, K. N. (2022). Locating Education: School, Family and Community and the Practice of Care. In J. Nair (Ed.), Un/Common Schooling: Educational Experiments in Twentieth Century India. Orient BlackSwan.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2020). Constitution, Democracy and Patriotism. In A. Vavad and Nisar A.C. (Eds.), Citizenship Law: Religion, Nationalism and Politics. Book Plus.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2019). Politics of ignoring: Stories of Asari interventions in colonial practices in Malabar. Review of Development and Change, XXIII(2), 139 — 161. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0972266120180207
- Sunandan, K. N. (2016). Critical mind and labouring body: Caste and education reforms in Kerala. Artha Journal of Social Science, 15(2), 27 — 47. https://doi.org/10.12724/ajss.37.2
- Sunandan, K. N. (2015). From Acharam to knowledge: Claims of caste dominance in twentieth-century Malabar, History and Sociology of South Asia, 9(2), 174 — 192. https://doi.org/10.1177/2230807515574055
- Sunandan, K. N. (2017). Locating Education: School, Family and Community and the Practice of Care. Transnational Research Group Poverty and Education Working Paper Series. https://www.ghil.ac.uk/fileadmin/redaktion/dokumente/trg_india/Paper_7_K_N_Sunandan.pdf
- Sunandan, K. N. (2017, September). Politics of Ignoring: Caste and Knowledge Production in Twentieth-Century Malabar, India. KINDAS Lecture Series, School of Asian and African Studies, University of Kyoto.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2016, September). Inhabiting Two Worlds: Dalits and School Education in Keralam. 28th Annual Conference of Japanese Association for South Asian Studies, University of Tokyo.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2015, July). The New Claims of Ritual Domination: Nampoothiri Children in the Special Schools. Annual Conference of Society for the History of Childhood and Youth, University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2021, January 21). When people become fascist. Madhyamam Weekly. https://english.madhyamam.com/deep-read/populist-fascism-in-india-758438
- Sunandan, K. N. (2020, May 25). Post-Corona sociality: Possibilities and impossibilities. Madhyamam Weekly.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2019, December 21). Nationalism, law and religion: Some unequal histories. Madhyamam Weekly.