Areas of Interest & Expertise
- History of Caste
- History of Knowledge Production
- Colonialism and Knowledge
- History and Sociology of Science
After attaining BTech in Production Engineering, I did MA in Sociology from Mahatma Gandhi (MG) University, Kottayam and MPhil in Science Policy Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. I completed the degrees of MA in History and PhD in History from Emory University, Atlanta, USA.
Immediately after finishing PhD in 2012, I taught at Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Tuljapur for a brief period and then joined a Postdoctoral Project funded by Max Weber Stiftung (MWS) at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), New Delhi.
I joined Azim Premji University in May 2015.
History from the Margins
Looking at the margins of historical writing, to find marginalised and subaltern pasts.
History and the Idea of India
Does history matter? A look at this question through histories of India.
Chapter in Edited Book
- Sunandan, K. N. (2020). Constitution, Democracy and Patriotism. In A. Vavad and Nisar A.C. (Eds.), Citizenship Law: Religion, Nationalism and Politics. Book Plus.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2019). Politics of ignoring: Stories of Asari interventions in colonial practices in Malabar. Review of Development and Change, XXIII(2), 139 — 161. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0972266120180207
- Sunandan, K. N. (2016). Critical mind and labouring body: Caste and education reforms in Kerala. Artha Journal of Social Science, 15(2), 27 — 47. https://doi.org/10.12724/ajss.37.2
- Sunandan, K. N. (2015). From Acharam to knowledge: Claims of caste dominance in twentieth-century Malabar, History and Sociology of South Asia, 9(2), 174 — 192. https://doi.org/10.1177/2230807515574055
- Sunandan, K. N. (2017). Locating Education: School, Family and Community and the Practice of Care. Transnational Research Group Poverty and Education Working Paper Series. https://www.ghil.ac.uk/fileadmin/redaktion/dokumente/trg_india/Paper_7_K_N_Sunandan.pdf
- Sunandan, K. N. (2017, September). Politics of Ignoring: Caste and Knowledge Production in Twentieth-Century Malabar, India. KINDAS Lecture Series, School of Asian and African Studies, University of Kyoto.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2016, September). Inhabiting Two Worlds: Dalits and School Education in Keralam. 28th Annual Conference of Japanese Association for South Asian Studies, University of Tokyo.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2015, July). The New Claims of Ritual Domination: Nampoothiri Children in the Special Schools. Annual Conference of Society for the History of Childhood and Youth, University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2021, January 21). When people become fascist. Madhyamam Weekly. https://english.madhyamam.com/deep-read/populist-fascism-in-india-758438
- Sunandan, K. N. (2020, May 25). Post-Corona sociality: Possibilities and impossibilities. Madhyamam Weekly.
- Sunandan, K. N. (2019, December 21). Nationalism, law and religion: Some unequal histories. Madhyamam Weekly.