Areas of Interest & Expertise
- History of Media
- Cultural Theory
- Religion and Media
- Gulf Studies
- Media and Mobility
- Sound Culture Studies
- Gender Studies
Prior to joining the University, I was Assistant Professor at Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi (2005−2020). I received my PhD in Cinema and Cultural Studies from the School of Arts & Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. My doctoral research was supported by the Fulbright Junior Research Fellowship, University Grants Commission Junior Research Fellowship, Sarai ‑CSDS Urban research fellowship, Charles Wallace Archival Research Grant, and SPEAR Grant for archival research.
I have held three post-doctoral fellowships at the Centre for Studies in Religion & Society, University of Victoria (Canada), Indian Institute of Advanced Studies (Shimla) and International Institute of Asian Studies (Leiden, The Netherlands). My journey to the university reaffirms me of the importance of undergraduate education and reflects my desire to create interdisciplinary media studies for liberal education.
Extending my service to the wider field, I serve in the editorial board of Studies in South Asian Film and Media and advisory board of Cinema and Media cultures in the Middle East Series, Peter Lang Publishing.
Publications and Writings
- Mannil, B. M. (2020). The gendered film worker: Women in cinema collective, intimate publics and the politics of labour. Studies in South Asian Film & Media, 11(2), 191 – 207 https://doi.org/10.1386/safm_00028_1
- Menon, B (2018). Media Free Zones: Precarious Labour and Migrant Vernaculars in Emirati Cities. https://www.iias.asia/the-newsletter/article/media-free-zones-precarious-labour-migrant-vernaculars-emirati-cities
- Menon, B. (2017). Affective Returns: Biopics as Life Narratives. Biography, 116 – 139. http://doi.org/10.1353/bio.2017.0006
- Menon, B., & Sreekumar, T. T. (2016). “One More Dirham”: Migration, Emotional Politics and Religion in the Home Films of Kerala. Migration, Mobility & Displacement, 2(2), 4. https://doi.org/10.18357/mmd22201615029
- Menon, B. (2013). The blazon call of hip hop: Lyrical storms in Kerala’s musical cultures. Journal of Creative Communications, 8(2−3), 231 – 250. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.1177%2F0973258613512574
- Menon, B. (2011). “Sketches for a film which never happened: Appan Thampuran’s Bhootarayar” BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies, 2(2), 181188. doi/pdf/10.1177/097492761100200205
- Menon, B. (2010). “Malayalam middle cinema and the category of woman.” in Meena Pillai ed Women in Malayalam cinema: Naturalising gender hierarchies, Orient Black swan, 105 – 121.
- Menon, B. (2009). Romancing history and historicizing romance. Seminar-India. 598, 28 – 35.
- Menon.B (2020, December 12) Kim Ki Duk-The Man who took our Breath away, Manorama Online. https://www.onmanorama.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/2020/12/11/kim-ki-duk-obituary-kerala-iffk.html
- Menon,B (2021) Miasmic Screens” Control and Contagion in Early 20th century Cinema Halls”. http://ala.keralascholars.org/issues/29/contagion-and-control-in-cinema-halls/
Select Conference Papers
- Menon, B (2018, July 9 – 10) Civic Virtues, migrants, and video volunteers: Visual conscriptions in Contemporary Dubai, in the Migrants in the Globalizing City: Spaces, Places and Mobilities in Asia, Europe and the Middle East, INALCO Le Salons, Paris.
- Menon, B. (2018, October 28 – 30) Vernacular Tongues, Migratory Aesthetics: Film Cultures, Futurities and citizenship in Dubai, in Film and Visual Media in the Gulf, New York University, Abu Dhabi,
- Menon, B (2020, February 16 – 18) “Audible Loves: ‘Dubai Letter’ and the transnational subjects of music” in the Oceanic Circularities: Indian Ocean in the Modern World , University of Georgetown, Doha.
- Menon, B (2021, March 15 – 22) Between the Ocean and the Desert: Hydropoetics and the archipelagic worlds of Indian cinema in the Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Virtual Conference.