Areas of Interest & Expertise
Science Education, Pedagogy of Biology, Assessment, Testing and Measurement, Philosophy of Science, Teacher Education, Cognition and Learning, Mixed Methods Research
Alex Joy is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
In his academic career, he has taught Biology from high school to undergraduates. At the school of Arts and Science, he is involved in developing and teaching courses in Science Education, Teacher Education, and Human Development & Learning. He is also coordinating the Professional Practice component of the Science Teacher education program.
His research work has been focused on science teacher education, especially classroom teaching learning processes, teacher beliefs and representation of the nature of science.
Publications and Writings
- Beginning Science Teachers: What keeps them motivated (2018). In Science Education, RIE, Ajmer, NCERT publication.
- Professional Development of Teachers: A Conceptual Understanding (2016).Edu World, APH Publications. New Delhi.
- Effectiveness of Concept Attainment Model of Teaching in Attainment of Science Concepts: An Experimental Study (2016). Education Today (Vol. VII‑1). APH Publications. New Delhi
- Models for Imparting Value Education to Teachers. (2012) In Yasoda, R. and Talawar, M.S (Eds.) Value Education. APH Publications. New Delhi.
- Experiences of Pre-Service Teachers: Issues of Concern for Teacher Preparation. In Parimala (Eds.) Role of Teachers in Changing Context, Policy and Practice (pp.58 – 73). New Delhi, Kanishka Publishers.