Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone: 91 80 6614 5255
Saswati is a Faculty in School of Education in AzimPremji University. Since 1997, Saswati has been involved in research in social sciences. She started her career as a researcher working with NGOs in North India. She worked in the editorial team of a magazine on Geographic Information System (GIS), published from Noida (Uttar Pradesh). The magazine's focus was on the possible use of GIS and remote sensing in the field of development. Then she moved to research in social sector with special focus on adult literacy and continuing education. She worked in a research project in the State Resource Centre, Haryana and was later involved in teaching and professional training in Hamdard Education Society in New Delhi.
Saswati also worked in the print media on ICT in development and regularly contributed to a monthly magazine named 'i4d' (ICT for Development) for few years; the magazine was published by an NGO, Centre for Science, Development and Media Studies (CSDMS), Noida. Later she worked in a project on mid-term evaluation of 11th Five Year Plan in ISEC, Bangalore.
- Ph.D, Centre for the Study of Regional Development (CSRD), School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Thesis title: Socio-economic dynamics of adult education with special focus on National Literacy Mission (NLM)
- M.Phil, Centre for the Study of Regional Development (CSRD), School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- M.Phildissertation title: Flood Hazard and Riverbank Erosion and Their Impact on Settlements in the Ganges Floodplain in West Bengal
- Research Training Programme (RTP) in Centre for Studies in Social Sciences (CSSSC), Kolkata
- Masters in Geography from VisvaBharati, Santiniketan with specialisation in Terrain Evaluation and Remote Sensing.
- Educational Policies and School Systems
- Educational Governance and Decentralisation
- Introduction to Research
- Advanced Social Research
Areas of Interest
- Educational policy and implementation, especially adult education and related policy issues
- Issues associated with schools, school systems and schooling processes in challenging locations
- Understanding and using maps for practical purpose
- New and innovative research methodologies and interventions in the field of education
Saswati is interested in two main areas of research. First is exploring the challenges associated with the schools, school systems and schooling processes in the challenging areas especially those having challenge in physical access, frequently hit by natural disasters or affected by the armed conflicts.The other area of research interest is use of innovative tools and techniques in analysing various aspects of schools and education system.
Publications and Writings
Research Papers published in Journals:
- Paik, Saswati and Raghu Kumar (2015). Natural Disasters and Impact on Schools in India, Disaster: Response and Management of LBSNAA, Mussoorie, Vol 3, No 1. pp. 30-39
- Paik, Saswati, Satyaprakash and Rumi Mallick (2005). ICT in community learning - The example of Mapping the Neighbourhood project in Information Technology, Society and Education, Vol. 6, No. 1,James Nicholson Publishers. ICT Community Learning Centres in the Asia-Pacific region: The global relevance of emerging models (ed. Cameron Richards) pp 55-61.
Book Chapter published:
- Paik, Saswati and Tamal Pal (2003). Forest Conservation vis-a-vis Soil and Water ConservationInP.Rethy, P.P.Dabral, Binay Singh and K.K.Sood (eds.), Forest Conservation and Management, Dehra Dun: International Book Distributors.
Book Review published:
- Madheswaran,S and Saswati Paik (2010). Book review 'Labour Vulnerability and Debt Bondage in Contemporary India'. Journal of Social and Economic Development, Institute for Social and Economic Change,Vol 12, Issue 2.
Research Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars:
- Paik, Saswati (2017). School Education in Challenging Locations with Tribal Population: Existing Policies and Practices. National Seminar on "Isolation, Disparity and Deprivation of Tribal Population and Their Mainstreaming" in Tonk Government College, Rajasthan, Feb 27, 2017.
- Paik, Saswati (2015). Mapping schools in disaster prone areas: Geographers' role in policies and plans for school systems. NAGI Conference, University of Jammu, December 2-4, 2015.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). 'School Leadership' as perceived by School Leaders undergoing Transformation through Leadership Development Programme: A Case Study from Karnataka.International Seminar on School Leadership: Policy, Practice and Research, held on November 17 and 18, 2014 at the India International Centre in New Delhi.
- Paik, Saswati (2012). Leadership Development Programmes for Schools: An Ongoing Initiative in Karnataka. CESI Conference, Hyderabad, 2012.
- Paik, Saswatiand Ashish Tripathi(2012). Knowledge, Attitude and Perspective about Practices of ELDP Participants: Some Interesting Findings from Baseline Data. Manthan 2012 organised by AzimPremji University, Bangalore, July 2012.
- Paik, Saswati (2012). Innovative practices in education programmes: Evidence of KAP study. E-India 2012. Hyderabad. November, 2012.
- Paik, Saswati (2011). Leadership Development Programmes for Schools: An Ongoing Initiative in Karnataka (co-authored). The Annual Conference of CESI at Hyderabad, November 2011.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2003). Water resource maps in India: evolution and revolution. International Conference on National and Regional Atlases held at Science City, Kolkata, February 22-24, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and Sachidanand Sinha (2003).Target Groups of National Literacy Mission: A Critical Analysis of Haryana with special reference to 2001Provisional Figures on Literates. National Seminar on Demographic Dynamism with a Special Focus on Census 2001, Department of Geography, Punjab University, Chandigarh, February 11-12, 2003.
- Paik, Saswati and K S Sivasami (2002). Prof. S.P.Chatterjee and Hydrogeomorphological Studies. S.P.Chatterjee Memorial Lecture in Calcutta University, Kolkata, August 18, 2002.
- Paik, Saswati (2002). GIS in Rural Development: Realities and Prospect. The National Seminar on GIS Application in Micro Level Planning, February 18-19, 2002, NIRD, Hyderabad.
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Floods and Associated Problems in the Gangetic West Bengal: Experiences from Malda and Murshidabad Districts. The 22nd IIG Conference at VisvaBharati, Shantiniketan, West Bengal, January 10, 2001.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Floods and Associated Problems: Experiences from Gangetic West Bengal. National Conference on Disaster Management, jointly organised by CSDMS and NCDM, IIPA, at Teen MurtiBhawan on October 11-12, 2000, New Delhi.
- Paik, Saswati (2000). The Shifting of International River and Relevance for Effective Border Management: A Micro Level Study in Murshidabad, National Conference in Search of Paradigm Shift in Border Management, BSF Head Quarters, Delhi, April, 2000.
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Flood Hazard and Bank Erosion in Murshidabad District, West Bengal. DSA Seminar, CSRD, JNU, New Delhi, March 1999.
Articles published in magazines and online forums:
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Field Visit in Dantewada.
- Paik, Saswati (2016). Public School System and Mushrooming of Private Schools. The Dialogue.
- Paik, Saswati (2014). Time to anticipate natural disasters, Education World, October 2014
- Paik, Saswati (2014). RTE Act demands changed mindset, Education World, February 2014.
- Paik, Saswati (2009). Count Them In Too, i4d, vol VII, No. 3
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Creating A Professional 'ID', Digital Learning, Vol. IV Issue 12
- Paik, Saswati (2008). ICT and Human Rights, i4d, vol VI, no. 3
- Paik, Saswati (2008). Telecentres and Community Life, i4d, vol VI, no. 1
- Paik, Saswati (2007). Thinking of One Step Further, Panorama, February 26, 2007
- Paik, Saswati (2006). History of Internet: On the verge of 50 years, i4d, vol IV, no. 1
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Unwind the red ribbon, i4d, vol III, no. 12
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Reflecting on the future, i4d, vol III, no. 11
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Knowledge revolution in India, i4d, vol III, no. 10
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Witness for social justice, i4d, vol III, no. 7
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Bridging the digital divide in health, i4d, vol. III, no. 5
- Paik, Saswati (2005). Basic education beyond MDG, i4d, vol. III, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Community Radio: Reaching the Unreached, i4d, vol. II, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Tel(e) Learning centres, i4d, vol. II, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2004). South Asian Potpourri, i4d, vol. II, no. 8
- Paik, Saswati (2004). Role of Community Radio, i4d, vol. II, no. 8
- Paik, Saswati (2001). Land, Where we Stand,GIS@development, vol. 5, no. 9
- Paik, Saswati (2001). GIS: Bringing Sense to Census, GIS@development, vol. 5, no. 6
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Problem of Riverbank Erosion, The Statesman, March 25, 2000
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Taking Care with GIS: Status and Prospects, GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 6
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Great Idea, but, GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (2000). Saraswati: Where lies the mystery? GIS@development, vol. 4, no. 2
- Paik, Saswati (1999). International Scenario, GIS @development, vol. 3, no. 5
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Census: Where will it take us?GIS@development, vol. 3, no. 4
- Paik, Saswati (1999). Countries may be different, not the sufferings, GIS@development, vol. 3, no. 3