Areas of Interest & Expertise
Women’s Studies, Film and Media Studies, Literature and Politics, Globalisation, Labour and Subjectivity, Memory Work, Education and Pedagogy
Nitya is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
She joined the University in 2020. She has worked for five years as faculty at the Centre for Wellness and Justice at at Baduku Community College, an initiative of the NGO Samvada, Bangalore. She was Convener of Kanaja: Knowledge and Resource Centre at Samvada.
She completed her PhD in Cultural Studies at the Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore/Manipal University. She has taught courses on Literary and Cultural Studies, Gender Studies, Research Methodology and courses on Wellness and Justice. Her published research is on culture, gender, globalisation, cinema, sexuality, caste, censorship and law, publicness, education and pedagogy. She has also been a co-director of the Bangalore Queer Film Festival since 2009.
Texts from the years before and after Independence to the India of 2020.
Publications and Writings
- (2019). “Navel Gazing: Of Loving Women, Hating Men and Fighting Back in Our Time”, in (Re)Claiming Lesbian Feminisms: Transnational Dialogues with Contemporary Heteropatriarchies, eds. NIharika Bannerjea, Kath Browne, Eduarda Ferreira, Marta Olasik and Julie Podmore, Zed Books.
- Ratnam, Anita and Nitya Vasudevan. 2018. “The personal and pedagogical in the 21st century: experiments in learning about marriage”, in Learning Beyond the School: International Perspectives on The Schooled Society, eds. Julian Sefton-Green and Ola Ershad, Routledge.
- Vasudevan, Nitya. 2017. “Between Ooru, Area and Pettai: The Terms of the Local in Tamil Cinema of the 21st Century”, in Positions: asia critique, Vol. 25, Number 1, February 2017, Duke University Press.
- Niranjana, Tejaswini and Nitya Vasudevan. 2016. “Reorganisation of Desire: Cultural Lives of Young Women in Globalising India”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.51, Issue No. 14, 02 April 2016
- Vasudevan, Nitya. 2015. “Navigating a Field of Opposition: A Rereading of Debates on ‘Caste and Gender’”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 1. No. 17, April 25, 2015
- Vasudevan, Nitya. 2014. “Inflamed Passions and Prurient Interests: Censorship and the Staging of the Obscene Body-in-the-Text”, in Pragmata: Journal of Human Sciencesˆ, Vol. 2, No. 2.
- Vasudevan, Nitya. 2013. “Public Women’ and the ‘obscene’ body: An Exploration of Abolition Debates in India”, in The Sexual History of the Global South: Sexual Politics in Africa, Asia and Latin America, eds. Saskia Wieringa and Horacio Sivori, Zed Books, 2013.
- Vasudevan, Nitya and Nithin Manayath. 2011. Queer Histories of the Internet, unpublished monograph for the Histories of the Internet (Researchers at Work) project, Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore, India.
- Malhotra, Namita Aavriti and Nitya Vasudevan. 2011. “The State of Desire and other flights of fantasy: Sexuality, Pornography, Technology”, in Law like Love: Queer Perspectives on Law, eds. Arvind Narrain and Alok Gupta, Yoda Press, 2011.
- Vasudevan, Nitya. 2008. “Recasting the Desire to Desire: Engaging with “Impossible Subjects” in the Domain of Sexuality Politics”, published in the magazine Swakanthey (in her own voice), brought out by Sappho, Calcutta.