Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Sociology of Medicine
- Sociology of Law
Meghana has a Master’s degree and PhD in sociolegal studies from the University of Toronto. She also has a Master’s degree in Communication from the University of Hyderabad. She has taught in these universities as well.
Her research interests lie at the intersection of law and society studies, anthropology of medicine, gender and sexuality studies, and affect theory.
In her doctoral work, she studied the regulation of suicide in India, with a specific focus on hijra suicides in Bengaluru.
Her current research focuses on the discourses of care in contemporary India. In addition, she is studying the socio-political contexts of the elder care industry and associated care workers in Bengaluru.
Interdisciplinary Studies: Understanding Development
Introduction to development through case studies set in the Indian context
The Many Pasts of India’s Present
An inquiry into the 'origin' questions of India: Geological, ecological, cultural and political
India’s Present and Its Possible Futures
How do we address India's problems and our limited ecological resources in this globalised world?
Sociology of Development
A study of ‘development’ requires an understanding of the social and cultural dimensions that shape the institutions that act upon people’s lives and landscapes.
- Rao, M. (2021). A Life Worth Telling: Love and Suicide in Hijra Lives. In P. Kumar (Ed.), Sexuality, Abjection and Queer Existence in Contemporary India. Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/Sexuality— Abjection— and— Queer— Existence— in— Contemporary— India/Kumar/p/book/9781138553149
- Rao, M. (2021). A Multifarious Law: Heterogeneous meanings of suicide in Indian law. Indian Law Review, 5(2), 166 – 188. https://doi.org/10.1080/24730580.2021.1946267
- Rao, M. (2020, April 21). Fear and hunger in Bengaluru’s Tannery Road, Deccan Herald.
- Rao, M. (2007, June). The Teacher as a Professional. Teacher Plus. https://www.teacherplus.org/the— teacher— as— a— professional/
- Rao, M. (2007, October). Sleight of Teaching, Teacher Plus. https://www.teacherplus.org/sleight— of— teaching/
- Rao, M. (2014, May). Vikasana: Helping Kids Blossom. Teacher Plus. Reprinted in May 2014 in Teachers of India. http://teachersofindia.org/en/spotlight/vikasana— helping— kids— blossom
- Rao, M. (2012). Administrating Death: Role of Law, Medicine and Development in (Re)defining Suicide in India. In Chum, A. & Forman, L. (Eds.), Munk School briefings: Comparative program on health and society. Lupina Foundation Working Paper Series. https://munkschool.utoronto.ca/cphs/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CPHS-Rao-10 – 11..pdf