Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Democracy, Populism, and Social Movements
- Sociology of Caste and Religion
- Pluralism and Minority Studies
- Discourse Analysis
Khalid Anis Ansari is a sociologist interested in postcolonial modernity, democratic deepening, anti-caste movements, and transformative politics in general. Khalid acquired his PhD from the University of Humanistic Studies (UvH), Utrecht, The Netherlands.
His doctoral work explored the conceptual relationship between pluralism, democracy, and internal minorities through the case study of the anti-caste Pasmanda Muslim movement in India. He has emphasised the limitations of the dominant religious lens (and associated conceptual dyads like majority-minority and secularism-communalism) in understanding contemporary minority politics.
His most recent publication is a book chapter titled Pluralism and the Post-Minority Condition: Reflections on the ‘Pasmanda Muslim’ Discourse in North India. (Routledge, 2021). Khalid is currently developing the Pluralism Studies project, particularly concerning the crisis of contemporary Indian democracy.
Before joining the University, Khalid worked as an Associate Professor of Sociology at Glocal University and headed the Ambedkar Centre for Exclusion Studies and Transformative Action (ACESTA). Khalid has an experience of over twenty years in the academic and social sectors. Before joining academics in 2013, he was associated with various community development projects supported by international agencies such as the Hivos, Mensen met een Missie, Action Aid, and The Gandhi Foundation.
Khalid advocates and engages passionately with democratic social movements. He has published and lectured widely in reputed academic and popular spaces. Khalid is a research partner with the Simagine International Research Consortium, visiting scholar at the US-based advocacy and policy collective South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT), and on the advisory board of Hindus for Human Rights (HfHR).
He enjoys cooking, playing badminton, and listening to music in his leisure time.
An inquiry into the 'origin' questions of India: Geological, ecological, cultural and political
Chapters in Edited Books
- Ansari, K. A. (forthcoming). Like a sackcloth patch on muslin: Muslim sociality and the anti-caste Pasmanda narratives. In F. Ibrahim (Ed.), Studies in Religion and Everyday Life. Oxford University Press.
- Ansari, K. A. (forthcoming). Reimagining the Pasmanda question in New India. In H. Ahmed (Ed.), Exploring Muslim India (tentative title). Orient BlackSwan.
- Ansari, K. A. (2021). Pluralism and the post-minority condition: Reflections on the ‘Pasmanda Muslim’ discourse in north India. In B. de S. Santos & B. sena Martin (Eds.), The Pluriverse of Human Rights: The Diversity of Struggles for Dignity (pp. 106 – 127). Routledge. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003177722 – 8/pluralism-post-minority-condition-khalid-anis-ansari
- Ansari, K. A. (2018). Pasmanda politics and Muslim (minority) discourse in India. In A. Rao (Ed.), Gender, Caste and the Imagination of Equality (pp. 310 – 323). Women Unlimited. https://www.amazon.in/gender-caste-imagination-equality-anupama/dp/938560614X
- Ansari, K. A. (2016). The ‘Muslim’ affirmative action debate: Post-Sachar reflections. In Z. Ali & M. Jal (Eds.), What ails Indian Muslims? (pp. 147 – 166). Aakar. http://www.aakarbooks.com/details.php?bid=56
- Ansari, K. A. (2014). When “bechu” turned into “Abdur Rehman.” In P. Kejriwal (Ed.), The Kindle Biannual: What the Jaguar knows we don’t know (pp. 66 – 71). Ink Publications. http://www.amazon.in/Kindle-Biannual-What-Jaguar-Knows-Edition/dp/8193042409
- Ansari, K. A. (2020). El pluralismo y la condición posminoritaria: Reflexiones sobre el discurso “Musulmán Pasmanda” en el norte de India. In B. de S. Santos & B. S. Martins (Eds.), El pluriverso de los derechos humanos: La diversidad de las luchas por la dignidad (pp. 171 – 205). Akal. https://www.akal.com/libro/el-pluriverso-de-los-derechos-humanos_50795/
- Ansari, K. A. (2019). O pluralismo e a condição pósminoritária: Reflexões em torno do discurso “Muçulmano Pasmanda” no norte da Índia. In B. de S. Santos & B. S. Martins (Eds.), O pluriverso dos direitos humanos: A diversidade das lutas pela dignidade. Autêntica. https://www.amazon.com.br/pluriverso-dos-direitos-humanos-diversidade/dp/8551304828
- Ansari, K. A. (forthcoming). Revisiting the minority imagination: An enquiry into the anti-caste Pasmanda-Muslim discourse in India. Critical Philosophy of Race.
- Ansari, K. A., & Suransky, C. (forthcoming). Religion, caste, and affirmative action: The aporias of quota for Muslim and Christian minorities of Dalit origin. Religions.
- Ansari, K. A. (2022). Interpreting BJP’s Pasmanda outreach in New India. Seminar, 758(10), 20 – 25. https://www.india-seminar.com/2022/758/758 – 03 KHALID ANIS ANSARI.htm
- Ansari, K. A. (2018). Caste analytics, ‘Hindu-Muslim’ conflict and intolerance. Women Philosophers’ Journal, 4–5, 327 – 334. https://en.unesco.org/themes/social-transformations/womenphilosophersjournal
- Ansari, K. A. (2018). Contesting Communalism(s): Preliminary reflections on Pasmanda Muslim Narratives from North India. Prabuddha: Journal of Social Equality, 1(1), 78 – 104. http://prabuddha.us/index.php/pjse/article/view/17/15
- Ansari, K. A. (2009). Rethinking the Pasmanda Movement. Economic and Political Weekly, XLIV(13). http://www.epw.in/journal/2009/13/commentary/rethinking-pasmanda-movement.html
- Ansari, K. A. (2011). Pluralism, civil society and subaltern counterpublics: Reflecting on contemporary challenges in India through the case-study of the Pasmanda Movement (No. 9, Pluralism Working Paper). Promoting Pluralism Knowledge Program. http://www.uvh.nl/uvh.nl/up/ZubwmxnIO_PWP_no_9_Pluralism__Civil_Society_and_Subaltern_Counterpublics_online.pdf
- Ansari, K. A. (2020). Book Review: Zarin Ahmad. 2018. Delhi’s Meatscapes: Muslim Butchers in a Transforming Mega-City. Contributions to Indian Sociology, 54(1), 109 – 112. https://doi.org/10.1177/0069966719885692
- Ansari, K. A. (2022, July 10). Caste to Muslims, BJP is changing orthodoxies. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/caste-to-muslims-bjp-is-changing-orthodoxies-8019906/
- Ansari, K. A. (2019, May 26). सामाजिक न्याय वाली पार्टियों में सुप्रीमोवाद से नुकसान. Prabhat Khabar. https://www.prabhatkhabar.com/vishesh-aalekh/1287282
- Ansari, K. A. (2018, March 29). It’s not just religion, it’s also caste. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/hindu-muslims-the-minority-space-caste-system-in-india-5115108/
- Ansari, K. A. (2017, May 19). Telangana Muslim reservation bill could end up justifying appeasement charges. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/a‑dangerous-arithmetic-trs-govt-telangana-obc-muslim-reservation-bill4662815/
- Ansari, K. A. (2016, October 31). समीकरण जो बदल सकता है राजनीती. Dainik Hindustan.
- Ansari, K. A. (2013, June 17). Muslims that ‘minority politics’ left behind. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/Muslims-that-minority-politics-left-behind/article12076617.ece
- Ansari, K. A. (2011, July 16). पसमांदा को अपने आंबेडकर का इंतज़ार. Rashtriya Sahara.
- Ansari, K. A. (2008, August 21). पसमांदा आन्दोलन और धर्मनिरपेक्षता. Prabhat Khabar.
- Ansari, K. A. (2021, November 4). Policymakers must consider the many upsides of caste census. Outlook, 29 – 31. https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/india-news-policymakers-must-consider-the-many-upsides-of-caste-census/305051
- Ansari, K. A. (2020, November 24). Owaisi represents only the elitist Muslims and not the entire community. Outlook. https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/opinion-if-muslims-join-owaisi-the-bjp-wins/365216
- Ansari, K. A. (2016, December 6). A tale of two mosques. Himal South Asian. https://www.himalmag.com/a‑tale-of-two-mosques/?currentPage=all
- Ansari, K. A. (2012, February 25). Analyzing the ‘OBC-Minority’ sub-quota. Mainstream, L(10). https://www.mainstreamweekly.net/article3285.html
- Yadav, A., & Ansari, K. A. (2011, July 16). Notes on Forbesganj violence. Mainstream, XLIX (30). http://www.mainstreamweekly.net/article2897.html
- Ansari, K. A. (2008, July 26). Pasmanda movement and the question of secularism. Mainstream, XLVI(32). http://www.mainstreamweekly.net/article847.html
- Ansari, K. A. (2020, June 9). क्या पसमांदा शब्द पर पुनः विचार करने की ज़रुरत है? Round Table India. https://hindi.roundtableindia.co.in/?p=9673
- Ansari, K. A. (2020, March 8). Is it time to re-strategize the Anti-CAA Protests? Round Table India. https://www.roundtableindia.co.in/is-it-time-to-re-strategize-the-anti-caa-protests/
- Ansari, K. A. (2020, January 20). पसमांदा केटेगरी पर कुछ ज़रूरी टिप्पणियां. Round Table India. https://hindi.roundtableindia.co.in/?p=8996
- Ansari, K. A. (2019, May 13). India’s Muslim community under a churn: 85% backward Pasmandas up against 15% Ashrafs. The Print. https://theprint.in/opinion/indias-muslim-community-under-a-churn-85-backward-pasmandas-up-against-15-ashrafs/234599/
- Ansari, K. A. (2016, October 11). Caste and the aporias of Muslim theo-politics. Round Table India. https://www.roundtableindia.co.in/caste-and-the-aporias-of-muslim-theo-politics/
- Ansari, K. A. (2016, April 11). In defence of the Pasmanda (backward & Dalit Muslim) movement: Three fragments. Raiot. https://raiot.in/in-defence-of-the-pasmanda-backward-dalit-muslim-movement-three-fragments/
- Ansari, K. A. (2015, December 12). Why change your religion? Raiot. https://raiot.in/why-change-your-religion/
- Ansari, K. A. (2015, November 30). Can Mandal politics look beyond the secular-communal binary? The Wire. https://thewire.in/uncategorised/can-mandal-politics-look-beyond-the-secular-communal-binary
- Yadav, A., & Ansari, K. A. (2011, June 4). Travesty of social justice: The curious case of the inclusion of upper caste Syed ‘Mallicks’’ in Bihar Backward Classes List. Countercurrents. https://www.countercurrents.org/ansari040611.htm
- Azad, M. N. H., & Ansari, K. A. (2011, January 3). Backward Muslims are not creating any New Caste Divisions. Countercurrents. https://www.countercurrents.org/ansari030111.htm
- Ansari, K. A. (2009, February). Segregate and rule. Communalism Combat. https://www.sabrang.com/cc/archive/2009/feb09/forum.html
- Ansari, K. A. (2011, September 2). Muslim Quota: Keep it simple, silly! Kafila. https://kafila.online/2011/09/02/muslim-quota-keep-it-simple-silly-khalid-anis-ansari/
- Ansari, K. A. (2011, March 21). Ghettoes of the mind: On minority status for Jamia Millia Islamia. Kafila. https://kafila.online/2011/03/21/ghettoes-of-the-mind-khalid-anis-ansari-on-minority-status-for-jamia-milia-islamia-university/
- Nair, S. (2022, October 16). Why Dalit Muslims and Dalit Christians should be included among the Scheduled Castes. Scroll.in. https://scroll.in/article/1035147/the-case-for-inclusion-of-dalit-muslims-and-dalit-christians-as-scheduled-castes-is-robust
- Mondal, S. (2022, May 13). How caste among Indian Muslims complicates Nagaraju’s murder. The News Minute. https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/how-caste-among-indian-muslims-complicates-nagarajus-murder-prof-khalid-ansari-163917
- Paliath, S. (2022, March 16). Caste census is a nation-building exercise. IndiaSpend. https://www.indiaspend.com/indiaspend-interviews/caste-census-is-a-nation-building-exercise-808337
- Hebbar, N. (2021, September 01). Caste census needed for Muslims too, says Pasmanda community leader. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/we-need-a-caste-census-of-muslim-community-too-says-pasmanda-community-leader-khalid-anis-ansari/article36227039.ece
- Ashraf, A. (2019). For Indian Muslims, elections bring caste divide among Ashrafs, Pasmandas to the fore. Firstpost.
- Nalgundwar, K. (2017, April 24). Hindu nationalism and Muslim nationalism co-produce each other: Khalid Anis Ansari. Round Table India. https://www.roundtableindia.co.in/interview-with-prof-khalid-anis-ansari-part-ii/
- Nalgundwar, K. (2017, March 29). Caste should be seen as the overarching category in Indian society: Khalid Anis Ansari. Round Table India. https://www.roundtableindia.co.in/interview-with-prof-khalid-anis-ansari-on-pasmanda-movement/
- Kumar, R. (2014, March 24). प्राइम टाइम : पसमांदा मुस्लिमों का कितना विकास? NTDV Primetime. https://ndtv.in/videos/video-story-314419
- Yakoob, K. (2011). Awwal Kalima (Ansari, K.A., Trans.). Hans, 298(1), 88 – 89. (Original work published in 2010).
Conferences, Workshops and Talks
- Ansari, K. A. (2022, March 10). Overcoming caste and religious exclusion: A way forward to inclusive development. [Conference session]. Harvard India Conference 2022, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKdaLyWusk
- Ansari, K.A. (2022, February 6). Caste census and the Muslim question. [Conference session]. The South Asian Alternative Forum, Oxford University. https://www.area-studies.ox.ac.uk/event/counting-caste-breaking-the-caste-census-deadlock
- Ansari, K.A. (2021, December 11). A new phase of Muslim identity and assertion. [Talk]. Centre for Policy Research (CPR), New Delhi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2020, July 5). When hate goes viral. [Talk]. Belongg Online Literature Festival (BOLF) 2020. https://belongglitfest.com/#1593084915705-d7c79a8c-838e
- Ansari, K.A. (2019, March 1). Reflections on the ‘Pasmanda muslim’ discourse in north India. [Talk]. Department of Politics and Public Administration, University of Madras & Media Forum, University of Madras, Chennai.
- Ansari, K.A. (2019, February 15). The post-minority condition: Reflections on the Pasmanda muslim discourse. [Talk]. Azim Premji University, Bengaluru. https://azimpremjifoundation.org/content/colloquium-series-%E2%80%9C-post-minority-condition-reflections-pasmanda-muslim-discourse%E2%80%9D
- Ansari, K.A. (2019, February 12). The post-minority condition. [Paper presentation]. Department of History, Daulat Ram College, Delhi University.
- Ansari, K.A. (2019, February 6). Exploring minority studies: Challenges and possibilities. [Resource person]. Teaching Learning Centre (TLC), Central University of Punjab, Bathinda.
- Ansari, K.A. (2017, October 5). Pluralism and the post-minority condition. [Talk]. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. http://www.glocaluniversity.edu.in/details_prof.-khalid-anis-ansari-talk-in-the-prestigious-harvard-university
- Ansari, K.A. (2017, September 27). Vocational discernment in global contexts. [Key-note address]. Tougaloo College, Jackson, Mississippi, USA. http://www.glocaluniversity.edu.in/details_prof.-khalid-anis-ansari-as-scholar-in-residence-in-the-historic-tougaloo-college,-jackson-mi-(us)
- Ansari, K.A. (2017, September 22). Post-minority politics: Reflections on Pasmanda Muslim discourse in India. [Conference session]. Centre for South Asian Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. https://ii.umich.edu/csas/news-events/events/conferences/seeking-social-justice-in-south-asia.html
- Ansari, K.A. (2016, December 15). Towards a post-minority condition. Democracy against civility? [Conference session]. Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. https://www.tiss.edu/view/5/homepage-data/homepage-events-and-announcements/democracy-against-civility-majoritarian-politeness/
- Ansari, K.A. (2016, July 27). Pluralism concerns in India. [Talk]. University of Humanistic Studies, the Netherlands, and Azim Premji University, Bengaluru.
- Ansari, K.A. (2016, February 17). Lived and political reality of Pasmanda muslims. [Conference session]. The History Society, Ramjas College, Delhi University, New Delhi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2016, February 3). Convivialism and the political. [Workshop]. Centre de Sciences Humaines (CSH), New Delhi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2015, December 18). Affirmative action policies for Dalit-backward muslims. [Workshop]. Action Aid India, Lucknow.
- Ansari, K.A. (2015, December 13). Like a jute patch on silk: Reading Ambedkar in the context of Pasmanda politics. [Talk]. Goa Arts and Literary Festival (GALF) 2015, Goa. http://www.internationalcentregoa.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/GALF_2015_Press_Release.pdf
- Ansari, K.A. (2015, August 17 – 18). Development and identity among the backward caste muslims. [Workshop]. G.B. Pant Social Science Institute, Allahabad (India).
- Ansari, K.A. (2014, December 6 – 21). Pluralism and democracy. [Conference session]. Institute for Reconciliation and Social Justice, the University of the Free State, South Africa.
- Ansari, K.A. (2013, November 19). The idea of Indian secularism: Towards a post-minority critique? [Conference]. Dr. K.R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2013, November 7 – 8). Post-secular secularizations: Pluralism and post-minority identity politics in contemporary India. [Conference session]. University of Humanistic Studies, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- Ansari, K.A. (2013, March 13 – 14). Caste and Islam: An overview. [Seminar]. Phule-Ambedkar Chair, University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
- Ansari, K.A. (2013, March 11 – 12). The politicization of muslim caste: Reflections on the Pasmanda discourse. [Seminar]. Dr. Ambedkar Centre for Social Justice, University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
- Ansari, K.A. (2012, November 5 – 9). Difference and inequality in India: Reflections on the Pasmanda movement. [Conference session]. Cross-cultural foundation of Uganda and Kampala International University, Kampala, Uganda.
- Ansari, K.A. (2010, December 18 – 19). Rights of Dalit muslims in India. [Seminar]. National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights (NCDHR), New Delhi and Working Group on Human Rights (WGHR), New Delhi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2010, September 29 – October 1). Pluri-culture and interreligious conflict. [Conference session]. Hivos, the Hague, the Netherlands.
- Ansari, K.A. (2010, February 3 – 4). Gandhi, multiculturalism and communal violence in India. [Workshop]. Malaviya Centre for Peace Research, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- Ansari, K.A. (2009, May 25 – 26). A tale of two mosques. [Conference session]. University of Humanistic Studies, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- Ansari, K.A. (Panelist). (2022, June 22). Democracy and (post) secularism: Debating with Periyar.[Video]. Orient BlackSwan. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqJO2c3nxc
- Ansari, K.A. (Speaker). (2022, April 12). First bulldozer baba, now bulldozer mama? In MP homes of Ram Navami riot-accused demolished. [Video]. Mojo Story. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-lX8yoAZw
- Ansari, K.A. (Speaker). (2022, February 5). Poll campaign trend reinforces othering of Muslims by BJP and secular parties. [Video]. The Federal. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8XIbacweM
- Ansari, K.A. (Speaker). (2021, November 6). At Gurugram’s namaz site, the battle over public practice of religion. [Video]. Mojo Story. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fbjkKXyLZM