Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Criminal Justice
- Movement Lawyering
- Abolition Feminism
- Caste and Social Exclusion
Bindu has a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Karnataka State Law University (KSLU), and a Master of Laws degree from the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, where she was a Fulbright-Nehru and Dean’s Scholar, and a Penn Law Human Rights fellow.
She is interested in criminal law and the Constitution, criminal justice, and Abolition Feminism, with a focus on issues concerning incarcerated persons’ rights, non-reformist reforms of prisons, and policing.
She is also associated with social movements working on caste and gender in Karnataka. She has worked as a litigator at the Lawyers Collective, New Delhi, and at the Alternative Law Forum (ALF), Bengaluru.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Doddahatti, B. (2020). Socio-cultural Identity Formation Among Shudras. In K.I. Shepherd & K.R. Karuppusamy (Eds.), The Shudras: Vision for a New Path (pp.136 – 150). Penguin Random House India.
- Doddahatti, B. (2019). Censorship, Section 377 Ruling and the Rise in Right-Wing Assault. In G.Hariharan & S.Yusufji (Eds.), Battling for India: A Citizen’s Reader (pp. 289 – 294). Speaking Tiger Publishing Pvt Ltd.
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- Doddahatti, B., Bokil, A. (2022, August 1). Under the thumb: A new legislation expands the government’s surveillance powers. The Caravan. https://caravanmagazine.in/law/criminal-procedure-act
- Doddahatti, B., & Rao, D. (2018, November 3). Sec 377: State, civil society need to step up. Deccan Herald. https://www.deccanherald.com/specials/art-377-dead-state-and-civil-701366.html
- Doddahatti, B. (2017, August 11). The dangerous, false myth that women routinely misuse domestic cruelty laws. The Wire. https://thewire.in/gender/section-498a-domestic-cruelty-laws
- Doddahatti, B. (2018, April 10). Flawed official data is responsible for the myth of ‘misuse’ of SC/ST law. The Wire. https://thewire.in/caste/flawed-official-data-and-the-idea-of-misuse-of-law
- Doddahatti, B., & Rao, D. (2018, March 20). Karnataka trans policy may be a step in the right direction but, needs work. The Wire. https://thewire.in/lgbtqia/karnataka-trans-policy-may-be-a-step-in-the-right-direction-but-needs-work