Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Criminal Justice
- Movement Lawyering
- Abolition Feminism
- Caste and Social Exclusion
Bindu has a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Karnataka State Law University (KSLU), and a Master of Laws degree from the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, where she was a Fulbright-Nehru and Dean’s Scholar, and a Penn Law Human Rights fellow.
She is interested in criminal law and the Constitution, criminal justice, and Abolition Feminism, with a focus on issues concerning incarcerated persons’ rights, non-reformist reforms of prisons, and policing.
She is also associated with social movements working on caste and gender in Karnataka. She has worked as a litigator at the Lawyers Collective, New Delhi, and at the Alternative Law Forum (ALF), Bengaluru.
This course aims to adopt a fine balance between doctrinal and empirical analysis of the criminal justice institutions, with an interdisciplinary approach to respond to critical problems in criminal law, governance, and public policy.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Doddahatti, B. (2020). Socio-cultural Identity Formation Among Shudras. In K.I. Shepherd & K.R. Karuppusamy (Eds.), The Shudras: Vision for a New Path (pp.136 – 150). Penguin Random House India.
- Doddahatti, B. (2019). Censorship, Section 377 Ruling and the Rise in Right-Wing Assault. In G.Hariharan & S.Yusufji (Eds.), Battling for India: A Citizen’s Reader (pp. 289 – 294). Speaking Tiger Publishing Pvt Ltd.
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- Doddahatti, B., Bokil, A. (2022, August 1). Under the thumb: A new legislation expands the government’s surveillance powers. The Caravan. https://caravanmagazine.in/law/criminal-procedure-act
- Doddahatti, B., & Rao, D. (2018, November 3). Sec 377: State, civil society need to step up. Deccan Herald. https://www.deccanherald.com/specials/art-377-dead-state-and-civil-701366.html
- Doddahatti, B. (2023, July 12). State selectively releases murders, rapists, as thousands languish in prison, revealing India’s convict problem. Article14. https://article-14.com/post/state-selectively-releases-murders-rapists-as-thousands-languish-in-prison-revealing-india-s-convict-problem-64ae06693d850
- Doddahatti, B. (2017, August 11). The dangerous, false myth that women routinely misuse domestic cruelty laws. The Wire. https://thewire.in/gender/section-498a-domestic-cruelty-laws
- Doddahatti, B. (2018, April 10). Flawed official data is responsible for the myth of ‘misuse’ of SC/ST law. The Wire. https://thewire.in/caste/flawed-official-data-and-the-idea-of-misuse-of-law
- Doddahatti, B., & Rao, D. (2018, March 20). Karnataka trans policy may be a step in the right direction but, needs work. The Wire. https://thewire.in/lgbtqia/karnataka-trans-policy-may-be-a-step-in-the-right-direction-but-needs-work