Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Education and Social Mobility
- Sociology of Education
- Social Theory
- Sociology of Minorities
Abdul has completed his MPhil and PhD from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). He has completed his BA and MA degrees in Sociology from Calcutta University.
Abdul’s doctoral research evaluated the impact of different factors such as land ownership, education, and occupation among others, on the chances of upward social mobility in two deprived communities. His current research endeavours to find out the relationship between educational achievements and social mobility among the Muslim elites in two states.
An avid believer in fieldwork for competent research, Abdul tries to imbricate data, theory, and policy into a continuous organic whole to affect social change.
Abdul taught Sociology for almost four years at GD Goenka University, Gurugram, before joining Azim Premji University. He also briefly worked as a Senior Researcher at Centre for Equity Studies, New Delhi.
- Qaiyum, A. (2017). Education and Social change: Role of a school in the Transformation of a Village. International Journal for Applied Research, 3(7), 1095 – 1100. https://www.allresearchjournal.com/archives/2017/vol3issue7/PartP/3 – 7‑208 – 667.pdf
- Qaiyum, A. (2017) Can the Muslim fight back? Reflections from fieldwork in West Bengal. Café Dissensus, 37. https://cafedissensus.com/2017/07/15/can-the-muslim-fight-back-reflections-from-fieldwork-in-west-bengal/
- Qaiyum, A. (2017). Emergence of madrasas as secular educational institutions: A study of non-Muslim students in Government madrasas. Vikramshila Educational Resource Society.
- Qaiyum, A. (2015). Ensuring quality education in a district: A review of different projects. Vikramshila Educational Resource Society.
- Qaiyum, A. (2015). Quality education to quality employment: A study of educational expectations among students in government schools. Vikramshila Educational Resource Society.
- Qaiyum, A. (2014). Madrasas and Education: Locating the need for madrasas through an analysis of data collected from nine Khariji madrasas of West Bengal. Vikramshila Educational Resource Society.
- Qaiyum, A. (2013). Quality education in elementary schools: A report on Khowai, Tripura. Vikramshila Educational Resource Society.
- Qaiyum, A. (2019, November). Education and Social Mobility: Reflections from Fieldwork. International Conference titled Bengali Muslims at the Crossroads: Possibilities and Challenges. Bengali Academia for Social Empowerment (BASE).