Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Remote Sensing and GIS
- Meteorological Data Processing
- Impact Based Forecasting of Tropical Cyclone
- Climate Change Impact on Coastal Communities
- Coastal Ecosystem
- Hydraulic Modelling
- Topographic and Bathymetry Survey
- Field Survey Form Designing
Vivek completed a Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) degree from University of Madras, followed by a Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and MTech in Remote Sensing and GIS from SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai, where he was awarded the best academic performer for 2015 – 16.
He joined the University in November 2022, after working as a Project Scientist within the Coastal Vulnerability and Training Group, National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR), Ministry of Earth Sciences, Chennai for more than four years.
Prior to this, he worked as a Junior Research Fellow in the Earth and Climate Science Area of National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), ISRO, Hyderabad for over a year and as a Project Fellow at Institute of Remote Sensing (IRS), Anna University, Chennai for five months.
His current research focuses on assessing the impact of sea level rise on coastal communities and urban flooding due to extreme precipitation.
His prior research involved the study of decadal changes in the coastal ecosystem using satellite data, coastal vulnerability assessment due to climate change, sea level rise and natural hazards, and marine spatial planning for Lakshadweep and Puducherry, the union territories of India.
He was also involved in the preparation of a detailed project report for the Kalpasar Dyke Project across the Gulf of Khambhat, Gujarat.
- Mathew, A.E., Kumar, S.S., Ganesh, V., Iyyappan, M., Karthikaa, R., Kumar, P.D., Dash, S.K., Gopinath, G., & Tune, U. (2021). Flood impact assessment using field investigations and post-flood survey. Journal of Earth System Science, 130, 1 – 10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-021 – 01657‑4
- Kumar, S. S., Mathew, A.E., Ganesh, V., Karthikaa, R., Gopinath, G., Iyyappan, M., Dash, S.K., Tune, U., Ramanamurthy, M.V., Sameeran, G.S., Edwards, J. & Kamal, M. (2021). A web-GIS and mobile-based application for a safe ocean for fishers. Marine Technology Society Journal, 55(3), 50 – 57. https://doi.org/10.4031/MTSJ.55.3.10
- Ganesh, V., Goswami, S., Samal, R.N., & Choudhury, S.B. (2019). Monitoring of Chilika lake mouth dynamics and quantifying rate of shoreline change using 30m multi-temporal Landsat Data. Data in Brief, 22, 595 – 600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2018.12.082
- Ganesh, V., Goswami, S., Samal, R. N., & Choudhury, S.B. (2018). Coastal ecosystem monitoring using long term satellite records A case study of Chilika lake, Odisha. PeerJ Preprints, 6, e27448v1. https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.27448v1
- Ganesh, V., Mahendra, R.S., Mohanty, P.C., Kumar, S.T., & Nanda, S. (2016). Coastal vulnerability assessment for north east coast of Andhra Pradesh, India. International Journal of Remote Sensing and Geoscience, 5(2), 1 – 7. http://www.ijrsg.com/Files/049caf41-fcdd-43f0-9da3-22b02c60f62e_IJRSG_24_1249.pdf
- Ganesh, V., & Kumar, S.T. (2015). Impact assessment of tropical cyclone Hud Hud on coastal region of Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing & Spatial Information Sciences. II‑2/W2, 23 – 130. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprsannals-II-2-W2-123‑2015.
- Ganesh, V., Goswami, S., Mahendra, R.S., Mohanty, P.C., Kumar, S.T., & Choudhury, S.B. (2017, October). Multi-hazard vulnerability assessment along the coast of Visakhapatnam, North-East Coast of India. 38th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Delhi.
- Goswami, S. Ganesh, V., & Choudhury, S.B. (2017, October). Three decades of landcover change in Chilika and its neighbourhood area using 30m Landsat data. 38th Asian conference on remote sensing, Delhi.
- Ganesh, V. (2015, December). Shoreline change analysis for North East coast of Andhra Pradesh India. ISPRS workshop on geospatial technology for disaster reduction, Jaipur.
- Tune, U., Dash, S.K., Iyyappan, M., Ganesh, V., Karthikaa, R., Ramsundar, S., Joseph, J., Jena, B.K., Ravichandran, V., Venkatesan, R., Ramanamurthy, M.V., & Atmanand, M.A. (2020, July). The science we need for the ocean we want. Ocean Digest, 7(3), 9 – 11. https://www.oceansociety.in/docs/ocean/ocean_digest/2020/Volume_7_Issue_3.pdf