Areas of Interest & Expertise
- History of Science and Technology
- Environmental Policy and Governance
- Environmental and Social Movements
- Public Finance and Accountability
- Environmental Auditing
- Linguistics Ecology
- Indian Sign Language (ISL)
- Deaf Studies
Himanshu Upadhyaya’s doctoral research in Science Policy from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, looks at the symbiotic relationship between crop cultivation and cattle rearing in late colonial and post-colonial India.
He has previously worked as an environmental activist and researcher. Since 2002, when he shifted from academic research to environmental activism and advocacy, he has studied social and ecological issues around large irrigation dams, hydropower and mining projects, ecological impacts and governance, public finance and accountability.
He also has keen interest in pursuing scholarly studies in linguistic ecology, Indian Sign Language (ISL) as an educational mode for deaf students.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Upadhyaya, H. (2018). Large dams as ‘temples of Modern India’: An obituary to Nehruvian techno-political dreams and a plea for Gandhian ethics. In Savyasachi (Ed.), Intractable Conflicts in Contemporary India: Narratives and Social Movements, Routledge. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781351057066 – 5/large-dams-temples-modern-india-himanshu-upadhyaya
- Upadhyaya, H. (2016). Cattle breeding policies in Colonial India. In D. Kumar & B. Raha (Eds.),Tilling the Land: Agricultural Knowledges and Practices in Colonial India (pp. 238 – 259). Primus Books.
Reports and Policy Briefs
- Upadhyaya, H. (2015, March). Mines and Minerals Bill: Disempowering the Community? (Oxfam India Policy Brief No. 13). Oxfam India. https://www.oxfamindia.org/sites/default/files/PB-Mines-and-Minerals-Bill-2015-Disempowering-the-Community-240315-EN.pdf
- Upadhyaya, H. (2012). IFIS, tourism and accountability: Emerging trends. Equations.
- Upadhyaya, H. (2010). Livestock economy in India: Integrating concerns of livestock holders from rainfed areas in NREGA. Rainfed Livestock Network.
- Upadhyaya, H., Goyal, J., & Wagle, S. (2008). Performance and development effectiveness of Sardar Sarovar (Narmada Dam) Project. Tata Institute of Social Sciences. https://www.narmadaandolan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/TISS-SSP-Report-August-2008.pdf
- Balasubramanian, G., Upadhyaya, H., Parasuraman, S. (2010). Sardar Sarovar Project: The war of attrition. Economic and Political Weekly, 45(5), 39 – 48. https://www.epw.in/journal/2010/05/special-articles/sardar-sarovar-project-war-attrition.html
- Upadhyaya, H. (2010). Gandhi, Gujarati spellings and ideology of standardisation. Economic and Political Weekly, 45(24), 26 – 33. https://www.epw.in/journal/2010/24/commentary/gandhi-gujarati-spelling-and-ideology-standardisation.html
- Upadhyaya, H. (2014, September 24). The CAG memoirs: A committed crusader’s log [Review of the book Not Just an Accountant, by V. Rai]. India Together. https://indiatogether.org/ex-cag-vinod-rai-book-not-just-an-accountant-reviews
- Upadhyaya, H. (2007, January 31). Analysing Polavaram irrigation project [Review of the book Perspectives on Polavaram, A Major Irrigation Project on Godavari, Edited by B. Gujja, S. Ramakrishna, & V. G. Sivaramakrishna]. DownToEarth. https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/analysing-polavaram-irrigation-project-5481
- Upadhyaya, H. (2007, August 1). Reengineering the Comptroller and Auditor General India [Review of the book Government Accountability and Public Audit, by B.P. Mathur]. India Together. https://indiatogether.org/cagbook-government
- Upadhyaya, H. (2007). Imaginary homelands: Imagined community [Review of the documentary film, Jashna– e‑Azadi, by S. Kak]. Combat Law, 6(3).
- Upadhyaya, H. (2007, August 31). Coping with floods in climate change [Review of International Rivers Network report Before the Deluge: Coping with Floods in Climate Change]. DownToEarth,16.
- Upadhyaya, H. (2007, October 30). [Review of the report Coastal Zone Management Notification: Better or Bitter Fare, by M. Menon, S. Rodrigues, & A. Sreedhar]. DownToEarth.
- Upadhyaya, H. (2004). [Review of the book The Nowhere People: Responses to Internally Displaced Persons, by S. Thakaran]. South Asia Network on Dams, Rivers and People, 1(12).
- Upadhyaya, H. (2004, March – April – May). [Review of the book Jaikwadi: A dam that failed to deliver, by V. Diwan]. South Asia Network on Dams, Rivers and People, 2 (2−3−4).
- Upadhyaya, H. (2023, July). The story of Indian Sign Language and deaf culture. India Seminar. https://www.india-seminar.com/2023/767/767 – 13%20Himanshu%20Upadhyaya.htm