Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Agriculture Markets
- Livelihood Security of Smallholder Farmers
- Hybrid Organisations
- Policy Analysis
Gopi Sankar graduated from Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA), Gujarat , and completed his PhD in Public Policy from Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore (IIM-Bangalore).
His doctoral research focused on institutional designs for market participation and livelihood security of smallholder farmers. In 2021, for nine months, he was a Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellow at Cornell University. His research interests are in the areas of agriculture markets, livelihood security of smallholder farmers, hybrid organisations, and policy analysis. He employs both quantitative and qualitative methods in his research.
Prior to his PhD, Gopi Sankar worked with corporate, non-government and government organisations cumulatively for a decade spending significant time in the social sector. He has also co-founded a not-for-profit organisation, Jeevana Vayo Swasthya Foundation, which aims to facilitate the elderly to lead a quality life with dignity, freedom, and autonomy.
- Gopikuttan, G. S. & Naik, G. (2022). Markets for farmers: Revisiting the role of mandis in the context of farm laws’ repeal. Economic & Political Weekly, 57(8), 33 – 38. https://www.epw.in/journal/2022/8/perspectives/markets-farmers.html
- Gopikuttan, G. S. & Naik, G. (2020). Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan and Agriculture. Economic & Political Weekly, 55(35), 21 – 25. https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/35/commentary/atmanirbhar-bharat-abhiyan-and-agriculture.html
- Naik, G., & Gopikuttan, G.S. (2021). Totgars’ co-operative sale society: Dovetailing business to meet members’ needs. Case No. IMB 855. https://hbsp.harvard.edu/product/IMB855-PDF-ENG?Ntt=Totgars%E2%80%99%20Co-Operati%E2%80%A6
- Raghuram, G., & Gopikuttan, G.S. (2018). AAI bidding for Bhogapuram airport – From authority to bidder. Case No. IMB 723. https://hbsp.harvard.edu/product/IMB723-PDF-ENG
- Naik, G., G. Raghuram, Rajan, J., Bansal, M., Gopikuttan, G. S., Tawri, P., & Singh, R. (2022). Agricultural warehousing in India: Trends, Constraints and Policies. Indian Institute of Management Bangalore. https://ncdex.com/downloads/Research/casestudies-conceptpaper/Agricultural%20Warehousing%20in%20India,%202022-%20A%20report%20by%20IIMB.pdf
- Gopikuttan, G. S. & Naik, G. (2020). Deregulation of agricultural markets in India. IIMB-WP No. 631⁄2020. https://repository.iimb.ac.in/bitstream/2074/16699/1/WP_IIMB_631.pdf