Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Solid Waste and Resource Management
- Solutions for Waste Management Issues
- Waste-to-Energy Technologies
- Optimising Anaerobic Digestion Process
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Climate Change and Waste
- Concept of Waste in Education
Barkha completed her PhD from Institute of Environmental Science and Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. Much of her doctoral research focuses on the problems related to the mismanagement of urban waste along with the problem of energy shortage.
She explored the energy potential of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) of Varanasi city. Also, she assessed the impact of agricultural utilisation of the slurry produced on soil and the plants that are grown, as a circular economy-based management approach.
Her previous professional appointment was at Re-sustainability Limited (Formerly known as Ramky Enviro Engineers Limited), Hyderabad as a Junior Scientist. Her main role was to maintain the quality of TSDF (Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities) operations, handle certifications and compliance-related work; sampling and analysis of water, wastewater, soil, ambient air quality monitoring, stack monitoring and analysis, noise monitoring and meteorological data collection (as per CPCB, MOEF, USEPA, USDA guidelines).
- Singh, R.P., Prasad, V., & Vaish, B. (Eds.). (2019). Advances in Waste-to-Energy Technologies. CRC Press. https://www.routledge.com/Advances-in-Waste-to-Energy-Technologies/Singh-Prasad-Vaish/p/book/9781138390423#
- Vaish, B., Srivastava, V., Singh, U.K., Gupta, S.K., Chauhan, P.S., Kothari, R., & Singh, R.P. (2022). Explicating the fertilizer potential of anaerobic digestate: Effect on soil nutrient profile and growth of Solanum melongena L. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 27, 102471.doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2022.102471
- Mahajan, M., Gupta, P. K., Singh, A., Vaish, B., Singh, P., Kothari, R., & Singh, R. P. (2021). A comprehensive study on aquatic chemistry, health risk and remediation techniques of cadmium in groundwater. Science of the Total Environment, 818, 151784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.151784
- Srivastava, V., Vaish, B., Singh, R.P., & Singh, P. (2020). An insight to municipal solid waste management of Varanasi city, India, and appraisal of vermicomposting as its efficient management approach. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 192(3), 1 – 23. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10661-020‑8135‑3
- Sharma, B., Vaish, B., Singh, U. K., Singh, P., & Singh, R.P. (2019). Recycling of organic wastes in agriculture: An environmental perspective. International Journal of Environmental Research, 13(2), 409 – 429. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41742-019 – 00175‑y
- Vaish, B., Srivastava, V., Singh, P. K., Singh, P., & Singh, R. P. (2020). Energy and nutrient recovery from agro-wastes: Rethinking their potential possibilities. Environmental Engineering Research, 25(5), 625 – 637. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2019.269
- Vaish, B., Sharma, B., Srivastava, V., Singh, P., Ibrahim, M.H., & Singh, R.P. (2019). Energy recovery potential and environmental impact of gasification for municipal solid waste. Biofuels, 10(1), 87 – 100. https://doi.org/10.1080/17597269.2017.1368061
- Srivastava, V., De Araujo, A. S. F., Vaish, B., Bartelt-Hunt, S., Singh, P., & Singh, R. P. (2016). Biological response of using municipal solid waste compost in agriculture as fertilizer supplement. Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology, 15(4), 677 – 696. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11157-016‑9407‑9
- Vaish, B., Srivastava, V., Singh, P., Singh, A., Singh, P. K., & Singh, R. P. (2016). Exploring untapped energy potential of urban solid waste. Energy, Ecology and Environment, 1(5), 323 – 342. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40974-016‑0023‑x
- Vaish, B., Srivastava, V., Singh, R.P. (2017, January). Wetlands of India: Threats, restoration and management strategies. Environment Management, 3(1).