Areas of Interest & Expertise
Philosophy of Education, Critical Thinking, Aesthetics and Ethics, Political Philosophy, Feminist Philosophy, Contemporary Indian Philosophical , Ambedkar, Gandhi and Tagore.
Asim is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
He has taught as a visiting faculty for the Study Abroad program of University of Minnesota (MSID) in collaboration with Environment Support Group, Bangalore. He finished his doctoral studies at Manipal Centre for Philosophy and Humanities, where his PhD thesis was titled ‘Pedagogy of Non-Discriminatory action’. Engaging with the tension between ethical and political education addressing identity-based discrimination, he explored the critiques of normativism and utilitarianism by feminist and Indian philosophy. He further conceptualized the role of body, experience and practice in the pedagogy of non-discrimination. This involved an ethnographic fieldwork in movement arts education which allowed him to bring aesthetic dimensions into his research.
Before his stint in the Humanities, Asim was trained in technology with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT Delhi, and worked in Technology and Development sector for four years.
Publications and Writings
- Siddiqui, A (forthcoming) Unconcealing ethics and politics of Raees, Economic and Political Weekly.
- Siddiqui, A. “Methods of Defiance: In conversation with Venuri Perera”, Ligament Dance Magazine, Vol. 2, Issue 2, November 2016
- Siddiqui, A. “Archiving Dance: Memory, Body and Affect,” Ligament Dance Magazine, Vol. 2, Issue 3, December 2016
- Siddiqui, A. “University is meant only for studying strangles India’s education,” DailyO, March 8 2016
- Siddiqui, A. “Teaching democracy: Relational Ontology in Feminist and Ambedkarite critique,” 5th International Conference on Philosophy of Education, Azim Premji University, Bangalore, 2016
- Siddiqui, A. “Moral Education: Culture and Curriculum,” 4th International Conference on Philosophy of Education, Azim Premji University, Bangalore, 2016
- Siddiqui, A. “Limits of normativity in enabling authentic pedagogies: teaching-learning of ethical concepts,” Enabling Pedagogies, Shiv Nadar University, 2015
- Siddiqui, A. “Authenticity in teaching-learning; Perspectives from Art Education,” 3rd International Conference on Philosophy of Education, Azim Premji University, Bangalore, 2015
‘Education for Social Justice’ in Telangana Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Society (with K N Sunandan)