Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Spatial and Economic Inequality
- Human Geography
- Speculative Urbanism
- Subaltern Urbanism
- Urban Planning
- Social Exclusion
Anshul Rai Sharma completed his Master’s in Public Policy at the National Law School of India University. His thesis, which was based on over six months of Fieldwork in Bengaluru’s slums, examined a range of community-led projects that have improved the quality of life in these settlements.
As an urban researcher, he operates at the crossroads of urban theory, social policy, and welfare in urban India. Anshul’s research has delved into diverse community-driven initiatives within Bengaluru’s slums.
Presently, his focus is on the analysis of extensive granular-level datasets to comprehend the distribution of welfare throughout Indian cities. He draws liberally from the disciplines of Urban Economics, Subaltern Urbanism and Human Geography to articulate various facets of Urban India.
- Sharma, A. R. (2023). Book Review: Love and Liberation. [Review of the book Love and Liberation: Humanitarian Work in Ethiopia’s Somali Region, by L. Carruth]. Society for the Anthropology of Work, https://saw.americananthro.org/pub/n2uyi7xo/release/1
- Sharma, A.R. (2023, September 15). The promise of Gruha Lakshmi: Challenges of an ambitious scheme. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/gruha-lakshmi-yojana-congress-five-guarantees-direct-bank-transfer-women-health-aadhaar-bank-accounts-self-help-groups-127088
- Sharma. A. R (2023, September 1). Jakkur Lake Management fostering community action. India Water Portal. https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/jakkur-lake-management-fostering-community-action-ecological-restoration
- Sharma. A. R (2023, August 23). Bengaluru’s daily waste production soared from 200 to 6,000 tonnes between 2000 and 2020. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/waste-management-drainage-systems-karnataka-budget-urban-poor-slums-118262
- Sharma, A. R. (2023, March 27). Loving strangers in 20th century. The Navrang Journal. https://navrangashoka.wordpress.com/2023/03/27/loving-strangers-in-the-20th-century/
- Sharma, A. R. (2023, January 16). Songs of innocence: Notes from watching Ozu films with my mother. The Navrang Journal. https://navrangashoka.wordpress.com/2023/01/16/songs-of-innocence-notes-from-watching-ozu-films-with-my-mother/
- Sharma. A. R. (2023, July 11). Bengaluru East has most piped water connections, Anekal has the least. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/piped-water-connections-mission-antyodaya-database-gram-panchayats-bengaluru-east-anekal-121334
- Sharma. A. R. (2023, June 7). The cost of high LPG prices: Environmental and health hazards in slums. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/the-cost-of-high-lpg-prices-environmental-and-health-hazards-in-slums-118940
- Sharma. A. R. (2022, October 27). Cloud Kitchens: Existing regulations on quality, safety not enough for this new format. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/cloud-kitchens-in-bengaluru-operations-regulation-safety-91345
- Sharma. A. R (2022, October 27). An unequal monsoon: The impact of the floods on Whitefield’s poor settlements. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/bengaluru-urban-floods-whitefield-poor-settlements-90349
- Sharma. A. R (2022, August 30). Youth of Rajendra Nagar slum face challenges, but there is hope. Citizen Matters. https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/challenges-of-youth-rajendra-nagar-slum-koramangala-bengaluru-88335