Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Environment and Health
- Public Health
- Health Impact Assessment
- Food Systems
- Cross-Sectional Studies
- Mixed Methods Research
- Environmental Health Ethics
Prior to joining the University, my last professional appointment was as Co-Convenor at the Society for Community Health Awareness, Research and Action (SOCHARA), Bengaluru, where I worked in various capacities for 7 years until 2017. I was a resource person in environmental health, besides administrative responsibilities. This involved providing technical support on health to NGOs, for instance, those working at the grassroots on climate change vulnerability or industrial pollution. Some of these groups included Watershed Organisation Trust, Pune, Greenpeace India, and Vimochana, Bengaluru, among others. I also developed resources, analyzed secondary data, and mentored interns and fellows in environmental health. I was also a visiting faculty member for environmental health at Savitribai Phule Pune University and Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Public Health.
Between 2017 and 2020, I was a doctoral student (PhD in Epidemiology) at the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH), where I focused on health impact assessment as a promising approach to systematically incorporate environmental health considerations and community participation in developmental planning for NGO-led rural development projects. My field site was Kolar district, with support provided by MYRADA Kolar Project. Currently, I am planning projects to further my work on “health-sensitive development” in India. This includes critiquing and testing approaches for health impact assessment and health vulnerability assessment. I am also a member of the medico-friend circle (mfc) and Emerging Voices for Global Health (EV4GH) networks, which keeps me informed about the technical, political economy and ethical dimensions of current public health issues. I continue to support SOCHARA, Pesticide Action Network India, and Healthy Energy Initiative India. I was initially trained in medicine (MBBS) at St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru (2008) and public health (MSc) at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2011).
Further details on his background and work experience are available at his private webpage.
Publications and Writings
- Pradyumna, A., Farnham, A., Utzinger, J., & Winkler, M. S. (2021). Health impact assessment of a watershed development project in southern India: A case study. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 39(2), 118 – 126. https://doi.org/10.1080/14615517.2020.1863119
- Pradyumna, A., Mishra, A., Utzinger, J., & Winkler, M. S. (2021). Health in food systems policies in India: A document review. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. https://doi.org/10.34172/ijhpm.2021.18
- Pradyumna, A., Winkler, M. S., Utzinger, J., & Farnham, A. (2021). Association of livestock ownership and household dietary quality: Results from a cross-sectional survey from rural India. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(11), 6060. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18116060
- Pradyumna, A., Bendapudi, R., Zade, D., D’Souza, M., & Tasgaonkar, P. (2020). Managing the increasing heat stress in rural areas. In W. L. Filho (Ed.), Handbook of Climate Change Resilience (pp. 207 – 228). Springer Cham.
- Pradyumna, A. (2018). Planetary health and food systems: Insights from global SDGs. The Lancet. Planetary Health, 2(10), e417 – e418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2542-5196(18)30202‑X
- Pradyumna, A., & Chelaton, J. (2018). The endosulfan tragedy of Kasaragod: Health and ethics in non-health sector programs. In A. Mishra & K. Subbiah (Eds.), Ethics in Public Health Practice in India (pp. 85 – 104). Springer Singapore.
- Pradyumna, A. (2016a). Making those hard decisions – for people and the environment. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, 13(1), 59.
- Pradyumna, A. (2016b). Surviving burns with care — A gender-based analysis of burns epidemiology and health system challenges in Bangalore. Vimochana.
- Pradyumna, A. (2015). Health aspects of the environmental impact assessment process in India. Economic and Political Weekly, 50(8), 57 – 64.
- Pradyumna, A., & Narayan, R. (2012). Examining environment and health interactions: Responding with communities to the challenges of our times. SOCHARA.
- Knowledge Attitude and Perception study on Climate Change among health professionals in India (as co-investigator, with Healthcare Without Harm)
- Health impact assessment in a post-Covid-19 world (as collaborator, with Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel)