Areas of Interest & Expertise
Climate Change, Environmental Degradation, Environmental Health Ethics, Epidemiology, Interdisciplinarity, Public Health Interventions
Adithya Pradhyumna is a faculty with the School of Development.
Adithya’s work is at the intersection of health, environment, food systems and climate change. He has conducted and facilitated research and planning using public health tools to identify and address health vulnerability and challenges. His experience spans NGO, academic and healthcare sectors, with projects on health aspects of climate change adaptation, healthy energy, pesticide concerns, industrial pollution and sustainable development.
Publications and Writings
Journal Articles and Comments
- Pradyumna, A.; Mishra, A.; Utzinger, J.; Winkler, M.S. Perceived health impacts of watershed development projects in southern India: a qualitative study. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2020, 17(10), 3448.
- Pradyumna A, Egal F, Utzinger J. Sustainable food systems, health and infectious diseases: concerns and opportunities. Acta Trop. 2019;191:172 – 7.
- Pradyumna A. Planetary health and food systems: insights from global SDGs. Lancet Planet Health. 2018;2(10):e417-e8.
- Pradyumna A, Guinto R. Climate change and health. Lancet. 2016;387(10017):430 – 1.
- Pradyumna A. Making those hard decisions – for people and the environment. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016;13(1):59.
- Pradyumna A. Health aspects of the environmental impact assessment process in India. Econ Political Wkly. 2015;50(8):57 – 64.
- Pradyumna A, Prahlad I, Ganesh C. Moving beyond sanitation’s diarrhoea fixation. Lancet Glob. Health. 2014;3(1):e16.
- Pradyumna A, Gaithonde R. Research on Bhopal. Econ Political Wkly. 2013;48(08):68 – 9.
- Pradyumna A. Aerosol optical depth measurement has Bangalore cornered. Curr Sci. 2013;104(3):281.
- Kalahasthi R, Narendranan P, Rajmohan H, Pradyumna A. Serum total immunoglobin‑E and health hazards in workers involved in land fill and compost areas of hazardous waste management plants. Indian J Occup Environ Med. 2012;16(1):9.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Pradyumna A, Chelaton J. The endosulfan tragedy of Kasaragod: health and ethics in non-health sector programs. In: Mishra A, Subbiah K, editors. Ethics in Public Health Practice in India. Singapore: Springer Singapore; 2018. p. 85 – 104.
- Pradyumna A, Bendapudi R, Zade D, D’Souza M, Tasgaonkar P. Managing the increasing heat stress in rural areas. Handbook of Climate Change Resilience: Springer, Cham; 2018. p. 1 – 22.
- Pradyumna A. Surviving burns with care — a gender-based analysis of burns epidemiology and health system challenges in Bangalore. Bangalore, India: Vimochana; 2016.
- Pradyumna A, Narayan R. Examining environment and health interactions: responding with communities to the challenges of our times. Bengaluru: SOCHARA; 2012.
Reports and Manuals
- Pradyumna A, Bendapudi R, Dipak Z, D’Souza M. Heat stress – vulnerability, health impacts, and coping strategies in rural communities in the semi-arid region of Maharashtra, India. International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada and UK Aid, London, United Kingdom: CARIAA-ASSAR Working Paper; 2018.
- Pradyumna A. Community health and environmental survey skill-share — a facilitated reflection of the experience so far (2001 – 2015). Bengaluru: SOCHARA; 2017.
- Pradyumna A, Rahul A. Documenting health and environmental impacts in a population living in a polluted area – a manual for local volunteers. Bangalore: SOCHARA; 2017.
- Pradyumna A. India’s endosulfan disaster: a review of the health impacts and status of remediation. Trivandrum, Kerala: Thanal; 2009.
- Pradyumna A. Estimation of potential health and environmental benefits of meeting family planning needs in Uttar Pradesh, India [Masters]. London: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London; 2011.
Essays and Blogs
- Pradyumna A. “Novel entities” and health sector. Health Action. 2017.
- Pradyumna A. Air pollution: health sector action needed for well-being and equity. mfc bulletin. 2017;375 – 376:5 – 7.
- Pradyumna A. Air pollution: time for health sector-led action is ripe. Health Action. 2017;13 – 5.
- Pradyumna A. Planetary health — the need for a strong health sector response. Health equity blog. 2016.
- Pradyumna A. An illusion of past tense. mfc bulletin. 2014;361 – 362:12 – 3.
- Pradyumna A. Hardly a personal thing — Impact of tobacco on others. In: Chander S, Mony P, editors. Are you being manipulated? Ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship. Bangalore, India: SOCHARA. 2013;4 – 6.
- Pradyumna A. Understanding the health risks of solid waste management practices — applying evidence to Bangalore’s context. SOCHARA; 2013.
- Pradyumna A. Building resilience in the Thar desert: breathing space. 2012.
- Pradyumna A. Food in the ‘planetary boundaries’ era. mfc bulletin. 2016;41 – 4.
- Multiple blogs at https://www.internationalhealthpolicies.org/author/adithya-pradyumn/
Poetry on Health
- Pradyumna A. Little that this crown brought was gold. Indian J Med Ethics. 2020;5(2):157.
- Pradyumna A. Ignoring for bliss. mfc bulletin. 2015.
- Pradyumna A. Fading twinkles. mfc bulletin. 2016.
- Pradyumna A. The price of air. mfc bulletin. 2017;375 – 376:26.
- Knowledge Attitude and Perception study on Climate Change among health professionals in India (as co-investigator, with Healthcare Without Harm)
- Health impact assessment in a post-Covid-19 world (as collaborator, with Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel)