Amman's research interests are currently in social stratification and education, social theory and the sociology of organizations. Amman did his M.Sc. in Anthropology with Divyadarshi Kapoor from Punjab University, Chandigarh and then did his M.Phil and Ph.D. with Avijit Pathak at the Centre for the Study of Social Systems at JNU. He worked for a while at the Academic Staff College at JNU, after which he was a full-timer with Eklavya at Hoshangabad, MP from 2000 to 2003. Amman taught a semester at the HBCSE and then joined the department of Humanities and Social Science at the IIT Kanpur, where he regularly received commendations for excellence in teaching.
Amman has been guest faculty for the M.A. programme in Elementary Education at TISS. He is associated with several NGOs including Eklavya, Pragat Shikshan Sansthan, Digantar, etc. He is in the editorial collective of Contemporary Education Dialogue and believes Indian academics must write both for scholarly interaction as well as for the people.
Ph.D. from Centre for the Study of Social Systems, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 2000
M.Sc.Anthropology,specializing in Social Anthropology from Panjab University, Chandigarh, 1991
B.Sc. (Life Sciences), Mahindra College, Patiala, 1988
Areas of Interest
Education and social stratification
Schools as organisations
Currently teaching sociology of education
Publications and Writings
- Review of Avijit Pathak Recalling the Forgotten: Education and Moral Quest, Contemporary Education Dialogue, Vol 8, No 2, pp 245-50, July 2011.
- "Indian higher education and the need for critical knowledges" Contemporary Education Dialogue, Vol 8, No 2, pp 161-182, July 2011.
- Guest Editor, Shiksha Vimarsh, special issue on "Shiksha ka Samajshastra â€“ II: Shiksha aur Samajik Starikaran" (Sociology of Education â€“ II: Education and Social Stratification), Vol. 12, Nos. 2-3, March-June, 2010.
- "Emile Durkheim on moral education." Contemporary Education Dialogue, Vol 7, No 2, pp 225-248, 2010.
- Guest Editor, Shiksha Vimarsh, special issue on "Shiksha ka Samajshastra â€“ I: Aadhunik Shiksha ka Vikas" (Sociology of Education â€“ I: The emergence of modern education), Vol. 12, No. 1, January-February, 2010.
- "Civics Curriculum and Textbooks" pp 107-126 in Poonam Batra (ed.) Social Science Learning in Schools: Perspective and Challenges, New Delhi: Sage, 2010).
- "Towards a meaningful school social science", Deccan Herald, Bangalore, 23rd April 2009.
- Interview "Create an India that is fearless in its search for truth", Deccan Herald, Bangalore, 8th April 2009.
- with Alex M. George, Teaching social science in schools: NCERT's new textbook initiative, 2009, New Delhi: SAGE.
- "Risks in a technocracy", Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, December 2008.
- "Labeling and the creation of Pariahs: A Pardhi story", Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, April 2008.
- "The sociology of merit", pp 346-359 in Sukhadeo Thorat and Narender Kumar (eds.) In search of inclusive policy: Addressing graded inequality, Jaipur: Rawat & New Delhi: Indian Institute of Dalit Studies, 2008.
- "The anthropology of merit", pp 129-131 in Rama Sharma, et.al. (ed.) Higher education at crossroads: Issues & Challenges, Udaipur: Apex, 2007.
- "Sociologizing Merit", Economic and Political Weekly, vol 42, no 29, July 21, 2007, pp 3044-3050. Hindi translation published as "Yogyata ka samajshastrikaran", Shiksha Vimarsh, vol 10, no, 3, May-June 2008, pp 5-16.
- "Merit in an unequal society", Hindi version published in Dainik Bhaskar, December 2006.
- "Samaanta", Shaikshanik Sandarbha, No 55, June-September 2006, pp 67-80.
- "Sociology of Merit â€“ I", 2006, Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, July 2006.
- "Sociology of Merit â€“ II: Merit and Culture", 2006, Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, July 2006.
- "Sociology of Merit â€“ III: Merit and the Middle Class", 2006, Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, August 2006.
- "Sociology of Merit â€“ IV: Merit as Ideology", 2006, Hindi version published in Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, August 2006.
- "Manav Pravas ke Rasaynik Nishan", 2005, Srote: Vigyan evam Technology Features, October 2005, pp 24-26.
- "Between Love, Domination and Reason: Civic Education and its 'Others' in Central India", Contemporary Education Dialogue, vol 2, no 2, Spring 2005, pp 170-192.
- "Old and new dilemmas in Indian civic education", Economic & Political Weekly, vol 38, no 44, Nov. 1, 2003, pp 4655-4660.
- "DNA-Based evidences for early migrations into India, Amman Madan, 5th September 2005. (Hindi, English)