Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Women’s Work
- Time Use
- Intra-Household Decision Making
Vijayamba is a development economist interested in studying various aspects of women’s work participation in the labour market. She completed her doctoral degree from Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Bangalore Centre, and was awarded by Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai, in 2022.
Her PhD research is focused on women’s role in the livestock economy, including their ownership of livestock assets, labour contribution, and decision-making in the livestock economy. Her recent works address the challenge of estimating women workers in livestock raising.
Prior to joining the University, she worked as a researcher at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bengaluru, and collaborated with Foundation for Agrarian Studies (FAS).
Chapters in Edited Books
- Vijayamba, R. (2022). Women’s participation in livestock raising — Evidence from NSSO employment and unemployment surveys 1993 – 94 to 2011-12. In J. Patel & N. Mondal (Eds.), Gendered Inequalities in Paid and Unpaid Work of Women in India (pp. 205 – 219). Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978 – 981-16 – 9974-0_13
- Vijayamba, R. (2020). Women in livestock rearing. In M. Swaminathan, S. Nagbhushan, & V.K. Ramachandran (Eds.), Women and Work in Rural India (pp.167 – 186). Tulika Books.
- Niyati, S., & Vijayamba, R. (2021). Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on food security and indebtedness in rural India. Review of Agrarian Studies, 11(1), 107 – 123. http://ras.org.in/81c003cb981c02b9505b36fd24719f34
- Swaminathan, M., & Vijayamba, R. (2022, October 15). Do not ignore the role of the woman livestock farmer. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/do-not-ignore-the-role-of-the-woman-livestock-farmer/article66011448.ece
- Rao, S., & Vijayamba, R. (2021, July 21). Using the India TUS Unit Level Data: Some notes on method (and Some STATA code!). Foundation for Agrarian Studies. https://fas.org.in/using-the-india-tus-unit-level-data-some-notes-on-method-and-some-stata-code/