Areas of Interest & Expertise
Social Movements, Environmental Sociology, Sociology of Development, Political Economy
Silpa Satheesh is a faculty member at the School of Development.
Prior to joining Azim Premji University, she worked as the Assistant Director of Research at Thanal, an environmental non-governmental organisation in Kerala. Silpa holds a Ph.D. in Sociology from University of South Florida where she studied the conflicts between trade unions and green movements in the Eloor-Edayar industrial belt in Kerala. Broadly, her research interests are centred on the impasse between environment and development, probing the myriad ways in which the environmental burdens associated with development projects engender social movements in India. Silpa’s research has been published in journals including Interface: A journal for and about social movements, Critical Asian Studies, and Sociology Compass. As a teacher, Silpa is committed to creating learning environment that respects diversity and is grounded on the principles of equity and social justice.
Publications and Writings
- Satheesh Silpa.2020. “The Pandemic does not Stop the Pollution in River Periyar.” Interface: A Journal for and about Social Movements, 12(1): 250 – 257.
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2020. “Moving Beyond Class: A Critical Review of Labor-Environmental Conflicts from the Global South.” Sociology Compass, 14(7).
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2017. Development as Recolonization: The Political Ecology of the Endosulphan Disaster in Kasaragod, India. Critical Asian Studies, 49(4): 587 – 596.
- Satheesh, Silpa and Robert, Benford. 2020. “Framing and Social Movements,” In: Ritzer, George (eds) The Blackwell Encyclopaedia for Sociology, 2, John Wiley & Sons.
- Satheesh, Silpa (forthcoming). “Fighting in the Name of Workers: Exploring the Dynamics of Labor-Environmental Conflicts in Kerala,” In: Räthzel N, Uzzell D and Stevis D. (eds) The Palgrave Handbook of Labor Environmentalism.
- Satheesh, Silpa (forthcoming). “Poor and Working-class Environmental Movements in the Global South,” IN Bell, K (eds) Diversity and Inclusion in Environmentalism, Routledge.
- Satheesh, Silpa, Jayakumar, C and Namitha M. 2020. “Carbon-Neutral Development in Kerala: A People Centred Approach to Climate Action.” Thanal Discussion Paper Series.
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2020. “Break the Chain”: Exploring the Kerala Model of Pandemic Response,” Sectors, Newsletter of the American Sociology Association’s Sociology of Development Section, Spring Issue.
- Silpa Satheesh.2020. “On US Elections”
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2020. “COVID and Anti-Lockdown Protests in the US” [Covidum Anti-Lockdown Prathishedangalum] Truecopy Think (Malayalam)
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2020. “Fighting for Ventilators: People Vs. The American Economy” [Ventilatorinayi Matsarikkunna American Economyum Maushyanum] Truecopy Think (Malayalam)
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2019. “Periyar: A River that is Left to Die a Slow Death,” Sectors: 6(1), Newsletter of the American Sociology Association’s Sociology of Development Section, Spring Issue: 26 – 28.
- Satheesh, Silpa. 2018. “I am a Single Mother and an Undercover Breastfeeder”, The Ladies Finger, January 24.