Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Citizenship and Urban governance
- Public Opinion
- State Capacity
- Political Demography
- Voter Behavior
Siddharth received an MA and PhD in political science from the Claremont Graduate University in 2001. He has previously held faculty positions at the Institute for Social and Economic Change, La Sierra University, and California State University. He is a member of the Lokniti Network and a visiting Research Fellow at the Center for Contemporary South Asia at Brown University.
Edited Books (Peer Reviewed)
Swaminathan, S., and Palshikar, S. (Eds.). (2021). Politics and Society Between Elections: Public Opinion in India’s States. Routledge.
Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed)
- Varshney, A., Ayyangar, S., & Swaminathan, S. (2021). Populism and Hindu Nationalism in India. Studies in Comparative International Development, 56(2), 197 – 222. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12116-021 – 09335‑8
- Swaminathan, S. (2020a). Economic Evaluations and the Incumbent Vote in India’s Parliamentary Elections (2014, 2019). Indian Politics and Policy, 3(1), 9 — 30.
- Swaminathan, S. (2020b). Historical Burden or Lacking Effort: Caste Perceptions of Dalit Socio-Economic Conditions. Studies in Indian Politics, 8(2), 135 – 151. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2321023020963317
- Swaminathan, S. & Shastri, S. (2020). Politics and Society between Elections: Introduction. Studies in Indian Politics, 8(2), 131 – 134. https://doi.org/10.1177/2321023020963215
- Bertorelli, E., Heller, P., Swaminathan, S., & Varshney, A. (2017). Citizenship in Urban India: Evidence and Reflections from Bangalore. Economic and Political Weekly, 52(32), 47 – 57.
- Boussalis, C., Nelson, H., & Swaminathan, S. (2012). Towards Comprehensive Malaria Planning: The Effect of Government Capacity, Health Policy, and Land Use Variables on Malaria Incidence in India. Social Science & Medicine, 75(7), 1213 – 1221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.05.023.
- Feng, Y., Kugler, J., Swaminathan, S., & Zak, P. (2008). Path to Prosperity: The Dynamics of Freedom and Economic Development. International Interactions, 34(4), 423 – 441.
- Kugler, J., Tammen, R., & Swaminathan, S. (2007). The New Century: US Dominance, European Integration, and the Asian Challenge. Transformacje 39 – 40 (Special Issue), 87 – 102.
- Swaminathan, S., & Thomas, J. (2007). Saving the Next Generation: Political Capacity and Infant Mortality Decline in India’s States. International Interactions, 33(3), 217 – 242. https://doi.org/10.1080/03050620701449017
- Kugler, T., & Swaminathan, S. (2006). The Politics of Population. International Studies Review, 8(4), 581 – 596.
- Kugler, J., Tammen, R., & Swaminathan, S. (2001). Power Transitions and Alliances in the 21st Century. Asian Perspective, 25(3), 5 – 29.
- Swaminathan, S. (1999). Time, Power and Democratic Transitions. Journal of Conflict Resolution 43(2), 162 – 176.
- Krishnaswamy, S., & Swaminathan, S. (2018). Public Trust in the Indian Judiciary. In G. Rosenberg, S. Krishnaswamy, & S. Bail, (Eds.), A Qualified Hope: The Indian Supreme Court and Progressive Social Change (pp. 123 – 147). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Swaminathan, S. (2017). Statistical Methods and Political Analysis: Examining the ‘Economic Vote’ in Indian Parliamentary Elections. In N. Jayaram, (Ed), Knowing the Social World: Challenges and Responses (pp. 64 – 91). Orient Blackswan.
- Swaminathan, S. (2014). Politics, Development and Deaths: Comparing China and India. In Elumalai Kannan, R. S. Deshpande, Guo Xiaoming and Yue Zhaomin, (Eds.), Economic Growth, Trade and Poverty: A Comparative Analysis of India and China (pp. 189 – 200). New Delhi: Konark Publishers Private Ltd.
- Swaminathan, S., & Thomas, J. (2012). The Politics of Births: Evidence from India’s States. In J. Kugler & R. Tammen, (Eds), The Performance of Nations (pp. 245 – 263). Rowman & Littlefield.
- Arbetman-Rabinowitz, M., Johnson, K., & Swaminathan, S. (2012). Following the Wisdom of the Elders: Instability in China. In J. Kugler & R. Tammen, (Eds), The Performance of Nations (pp. 173 – 189). Rowman & Littlefield.
- Feng, Y., & Swaminathan, S. (2004). Political Capacity and Demographic Change in China with a Comparison to India. In A. Chen, G. Liu, and K. Zhang, (Eds.), Urban Transformation in China (pp. 40 – 56). Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Kugler, J. & Swaminathan, S. (1998). Electoral Alliances and Political Outcomes in India. In B. Yesilada, (Ed.), Comparative Political Parties and Party Elites: Essays in Honor of Samuel Eldersveld (pp. 177 – 196). Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press.
- Swaminathan, S., Kugler, J., Abdollahian, M., & Sboto, S. (2000). Kashmir Policy Brief. National Defense University Working Paper, Washington D.C.
- 2006. “Political Development.” In H.P. Chattopadhyay and S.K. Sarker (Eds.), Global Encyclopaedia of Political Science Volume 1. Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi.