Areas of Interest & Expertise
Sustainability of Smallholder Farmers, Urban Agriculture and Sustainability, Agroecology, Food systems, Technology in Agriculture
Sheetal is a member of the School of Development.
Her initial formal training has been in engineering and computer application. Using those technical skills, she started her career with work related to data science and management. Later, she acquired her post-graduate degree in economics and moved to work in social science research. Sheetal has been part of small and large, national and international research projects mainly in the domains of sustainability and development. Since 2004, her contribution to interdisciplinary empirical research has been in the areas of sustainability in topics ranging from smallholder agriculture in rural as well as peri-urban areas, interlinkages between agroecology and social well-being, natural resource management in agriculture, regional agricultural economies, land use systems, ecotourism, food and nutrition, livelihoods and modeling. With sound analytical skills and research aptitude, Sheetal involves herself in developing quantitative models and adapting participatory tools for sustainability assessment.
Publications and Writings
- Purushothaman S and Patil S (2019) Agrarian change and Urbanization in Southern India Springer.
Peer reviewed journal articles:
- Purushothaman S, S Patil, P Ghosh, D Chaudhuri, AK Singh, B Barad, S Singh, A Jostine and MK Singh. (under review) Adaptive skilling among Adivasis – towards a new development equilibrium.
- Patil S., et al (2018) “Urbanisation and new agroecologies: the story of Bengaluru’s peripheries”, Economic and Political Weekly, 53(41): 71 – 77. (PDF)
- Purushothaman S and S Patil. (2017) Regional Economies and Small Farmers in Karnataka. Economic and Political Weekly, 52(46): 78 – 84. (PDF)
- Patil S. et al. (2012). Comparing conventional and organic agriculture in Karnataka, India: Where and when can organic farming be sustainable? Land Use Policy, DOI:10.1016/j.landusepol.2012.01.006.
- Purushothaman S, Patil S. and Francis I. (2012). Assessing the impact of policy-driven agricultural practices in Karnataka, India. Sustainability Science. DOI 10.1007/s11625-012‑0188‑y
- Purushothaman S, Patil S, Francis I, König HJ, Reidsma P & Hegde S. (2012). Participatory impact assessment of agricultural practices using the land use functions framework: case study from India. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management, DOI:10.1080/21513732.2012.721005
- Purushothaman S., Patil S. and Francis I. (2012). Impact of policies favouring organic inputs on small farms in Karnataka, India – a multicriteria approach. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 14: 507 – 527.
- Purushothaman, S., S. S. Hegde, S. Patil, and S. Kashyap. (2009). People’s perception on benefits from a protected catchment: A case study of Gundal command in Karnataka. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 64(4): 573 – 584. (PDF)
- Patil S and S Purushothaman (2020) Landowners as Non-farm Workers: A Case of Small Farmer Migrants in Karnataka. In Mishra D.K. and P Nayak (eds.) Land and Livelihoods in Neoliberal India. Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore. pp. 85 – 102
- Patil S and S Purushothaman (2018) Methods for Integrated Sustainability Assessment: The Case of Smallholder Farming in Karnataka, South India. In Brinkman R and Garren S (eds.) The Palgrave Handbook of Sustainability: Case Studies and Practical Solutions, Palgrave MacMillan. pp- 261 – 281.
- Patil S., Purushothaman S and E. Gsottbauer. (2013). Economic Instruments to Reconcile Conservation and Livelihoods: Analysing the Potential of Bamboo in Karnataka. Purushothaman S. and R. Abraham (eds) in Livelihood Strategies in Southern India: Conservation and Poverty Reduction in Forest Fringes. Springer India. 175 – 187.
- Purushothaman S., Patil S. and Kashyap S. (2012). Agrarian Crisis and Policy Links: a framework for Karnataka, India. In Land Use Policies for Sustainable Development: Exploring Integrated Assessment Methods, D. McNeill, Nesheim, I., Brouwer, F. (ed.): Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Shreelata Rao Seshadri, Rishikesh, Prateeti Prasad and Sheetal Patil (In Press) Handling Classroom Hunger: A Comparison of Different Modes of Delivery of the Mid-Day Meal program in Anekal Block, Karnataka. Azim Premji University, Working Paper Series.
- Purushothaman S, S Patil, R Vanjari and Shwetha AR (under review) Urban effluents and peri-urban agriculture – mapping farmers’ perspectives. Azim Premji University, Working Paper Series.
- Purushothaman S, S Patil, Lodha, S. (2016). Social and Environmental Transformation in the Indian Peri-Urban Interface — Emerging Questions. Azim Premji University (Working Paper No. 1). Bangalore. (PDF)
Popular articles and conference papers :
- Seema P and Sheetal P (2020) Resilience during the pandemic – lessons from the family farms of Yadgir. The New Minute, Aug 17, 2020.
- Sheetal P (2020) Building ‘Backyards’ better – an approach for urban agriculture in India. The Hans India, Aug 30, 2020.
- Seema P, Saurabh Singh and Sheetal P (2020) Tackling Covid: Overcoming pandemic despair. Financial Express, Sep 5, 2020.
- Sheetal P (2020) Agro-ecologies that shape the food system of and around Bengaluru. Presented at Science Gallery Bengaluru, Phytopia 2020 (watch recording here)
- Purushothaman S, S Patil and AR Shwetha. (2019) Agriculture and Urbanisation in Karnataka (in Kannada), Yojana, 5 – 35: 29 – 33. (PDF)