Areas of Interest & Expertise
Curriculum and Epistemology, Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education
Rohit Dhankar is a faculty with the School of Education.
His association with Azim Premji Foundation in various collaborative efforts goes back to about two decades.
Rohit has been part of many initiatives in developing material and curriculum through various committees and collaborative efforts across the country. His interest in curriculum for school education and teacher education resulted in collaboration with NCERT and various SCERTs. Interest in education studies resulted in a collaboration with TISS and several NGOs in developing MA Education (Elementary) of TISS, Bombay. He taught the Philosophy of Education course in TISS, Bombay, and Philosophy of Education and Curriculum Studies at Azim Premji University.
He trained as a teacher under David Horsburgh in the Neelbagh School, and taught at the elementary level for about 15 years in a school he opened with help from Mr. Jitendra Pal Singh and Ms. Faith Singh of Jaipur. Rohit is the founder secretary of Digantar, a voluntary organization in Jaipur engaged in providing alternative education to rural children. Digantar endeavours to nurture self-motivated and independent learners equipped with the ability to think critically.
His formal education is graduation in science and Master’s in mathematics, and school education through indifferently functioning government schools in rural Rajasthan.
A course going over the concepts, methodologies and interdisciplinary intersections that determine educational action in various contexts.
Publications and Writings
List of papers and published books
- A Practitioner’s take on Philosophy of Education” in the book “Conceptualising Education, and related Issues” (Volume I of PoE Conference Proceedings, Azim Premji University)
- Truth, Harmony and Justice” in the book “Knowledge, Politics and Education” (Volume II of PoE Conference Proceedings, Azim Premji University)
- Dhankar, R. Lessons to learn, Seminar, December 1995.
- Dhankar, R. Perception of Education and Teacher formation, Proceedings of International Seminar on Teacher Empowerment and School Effectiveness, NCERT, 1998.
- Dhankar, R. On National Curriculum Framework, Seminar, September 2000.
- Dhankar, R. Primary Education in Rajasthan, Man & Development, December 2000.
- Dhankar, R. Learning Mathematics, presented in seminar on Mathematics Curriculum, CIE, University of Delhi. Used in B.El.Ed. programme as course material for several years.
- Dhankar, R. A laboratory for Mathematics?, Issues in Primary Education, July-September 2000.
- Dhankar, R. Aims of Education: Do teachers need to bother about them?, Issues in Primary Education, June-December, 2002.
- Dhankar, R. Seeking Quality Education: In the arena of fun and rhetoric, Occasional papers, European Commission.
- Dhankar, R. (2003) The notion of quality in DPEP pedagogical interventions, in Education Dialogue, Monsoon 2003, Bangalore.
- Dhankar, R. (2004) Shiksha aur Samajh, Adhar Prakashan, Panchkula.
- Dhankar, R. (Edited) (2004) Loktantra, Shiksha aur Viveksheelata, Adhar Prakashan, Panchkula
- Dhankar, R. and Bhadu, R. (Edited) (2004) Shiksha ke sandarbh aur Vikalp, Adhar Prakashan
- Click hereDhankar, R. Reflective Practitioner and In-Service Teacher Education
Published in Shiksha Vimarsh (Hindi)
- Shiksha ki dharana aur shikshak
- Shikshak ki nirmiti
- Vigyan aur samajin adhyayan
- Dhaarmik mataatopan aur shiksha
- Shiksha men nirnaya prakriya
- Sarkaari-karan banaam saamaji karn
- Shiksha ke liye sanjhe prayaas
- Nyuntam sanjhi samajh
- Rashtiya shikshakram yojana
- Shiksha ki saidhaantik prishthabhoomi‑1
- Shiksha ki saidhaantik prishthabhoomi‑2
- Shiksha ka prayojan
- Nishtej dharmnispeckshata
- Itihaas, mazhab aur moolya
- Achchhi shiksha
- Ganit ka seekhana
- Nishulka aur anivarya shiksha
- Vichaarheen bhavana
- Shikshak ki swaayattata
- Shiksha Viveksheelata aur mataropan
- Schooli kitaben aur andha-shraddha
- Shiksha men apavarjan
- Shiksha men sajhedaari
- Bharosemand schoolivyavatha
- Lokatantra ke naach men shiksha
- Kaksha se lakyshn ki aur
- Sanskritik vividhata aur shikshan
- Shiksha ka adhikaar
- shiksha me gunavatta