Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Living Utopias
- Nai Taleem
- Food Sovereignty
At the University, she teaches courses that are about radical futuristic alternatives aligned with Gandhi-Tagore visions. She is also the co-author of a Gandhi Reader for young adults.
Pallavi’s activism around food includes a workshop-based course called Food and Identity, coordinating a national network of educators who teach through food, and coordinating a Millet based farming project in an urban school called The Ragi Project.
Pallavi’s educational qualifications include M.A (Development Studies) at the International Institute of Social studies (ISS) , The Netherlands; Masters Social Work at College of Social Work, Mumbai, India, and B. A — Economics (Hons) at Miranda house, Delhi University, India.
She has over twenty years of work experience in the development sector in India working on cross cutting issues related to young adults, education, and ecology.
Gandhi’s vision of society through a framework of education through productive work.
An exploration of counter currents of hope and action for an alternative vision of a good society.
Publications and Writings
- Sinha, Sujit and Varma Patil , Pallavi. The Gandhi Notebook , Bangalore, Azim Premji University, 2017
- Varma Patil, Pallavi. “Nai Talim in an urban Bengaluru school”, Biodiversity Conservation and Livelihood Security, special issue of People In Conservation newsletter, Vol 8 Issue 2 May 2017 — November 2017, pp. 11 – 12.
- Varma Patil, Pallavi “A day at Anand Niketan, Sewagram”. Teachers of India, 30 Mar, 2017, http://teachersofindia.org/en/article/day-anand-niketan-sewagram
- Varma Patil, Pallavi. “Education for the Anthropocene.”, The Relevance of Gandhian Educational Ideas and Experiments: Implications for Policy and Practices, Oct 4 – 5, 2019, New Delhi, The National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA)
- Varma Patil, Pallavi and Ravi, Roshni. “A Nayi, Nai Talim: Reinventing Gandhian Education for today and tomorrow – A case study of The Ragi Project, Bangalore, India.” International Conference on Gandhi After Gandhi, Dec 2 – 3, 2019, Torino, Italy, UNIVERSITY OF TURIN
- Varma Patil, Pallavi and Sinha, Sujit. “Reinventing Gandhian Ideas and Practice of Consensual Democracy, Satyagraha, and Village Socialism in Today’s Context: the Case of Village Mendha Lekha, India.” Seventh South South Forum on Sustainability, July 8 – 9, 2020, Global University for Sustainability, Hong Kong. https://our-global‑u.org/oguorg/en/ssfs7-readers/