Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Teacher Education
- Education Policy
Nimrat is a part of the Professional Development Programme associated with the School of Continuing Education and University Resource centre(SCE-URC).
She has been working in the space of teacher education, education policy, and assessment, and professional development programmes since she joined the Azim Premji Foundation in July 2011.
She had contributed to the development, validation and implementation of individual and institutional quality frameworks; developed and transacted short courses for professional development programmes for faculty of DIET, SCERT, IASE and CTE of various states; and also contributed to teacher education curriculum and material development for pre-service teacher education programmes.
Nimrat has been supporting the work of the Foundation related to education policy. She has contributed to the dissemination and review of policy, and supported policy related initiatives taken up by States and Central bodies, and contributed as a member of committees and working groups set up by apex educational bodies. Nimrat also supports the work of the Field Research Group of the Azim Premji Foundation.
Before joining the Azim Premji Foundation, Nimrat has worked as a teacher educator at the Amity University Uttar Pradesh, a researcher in Physics at the National Physical Laboratory, Delhi, an instructional designer with NIIT, Delhi, and an editor of academic texts, reports and professional journals with Byword Editorial Consultants, Delhi. She has also contributed articles of general interest to the Tribune and the Indian Express, Chandigarh.
Nimrat was the recipient of a Junior Research Fellowship from the Council of Scientific and
Industrial Research and the Prof SC Shukla Memorial Scholarship from Jamia Millia Islamia. She was also an Associate of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata.
A course to revisit perspectives and concepts on science teaching and science learning in discussion with other teachers.
Publications and Writings:
- Contract teacher system must end. Deccan Herald. 6 January 2021 (co-authored with Aanchal Chomal).
- A cohesive vision for education. Hindustan Times, 19 August 2020 (Print version).
- Prarambhik shikshak shiksha mein prabhaavi shikshan abhyaas, in Adhyapak, adhyapan aur adhyapak shiksha, ed. Hriday Kant Dewan, Shivani Nag, Manoj Kumar, Manish Jain (New Delhi: Vani Prakashan & Bengaluru: Azim Premji University, 2020).
- School Leadership in the Changing Context of School Education. Voices of Teachers and Teacher Educators, Vol VIII, Issue II, December 2019.
- Nimrat Khandpur, Need to attract the best to teach our children, The Hindu, September 5, 2019.
- Draft National Education Policy 2019. An Overview. Voices of Teachers and Teacher Educators, Vol VIII, Issue I, July 2019.
- Vocational Education: Relevance and Reality. Voices of Teachers and Teacher Educators, Vol VII, Issue II, February 2019.
- Operationalising the quality of teacher education institutes: Principles and challenges. Voices of Teachers and Teacher Educators, Vol VII, Issue I, August 2018.
- Use of social networking in teacher education in India, The International Journal of Technologies in Education, Volume 21, Issue 3 – 4, pp. 13 – 21 (2015) (co-authored with Ahrar Husain).
- Experience with Blogging in a Teacher Education Institute, in Technology-Mediated Learning for Professional Development of Personnel at Elementary Education Level, ed. E. Kannadi (Delhi: DEP-SSA, IGNOU, 2009).
- A Re-examination of Systems of Indian Philosophy and their Implications on Education, Journal of Indian Education XXXV (2009). (co-authored with Harjeet K. Bhatia).
Articles in publications of the Azim Premji University:
- Online professional development programmes. Reflections, Learning Curve, Issue 8, December 2020.
- Dilli mein shikshak samarthan koshishon ki padtaal, Pathshaala. Bhitar aur Bahar, Vol 2, No 3, August 2019.
- Seeking common ground – some debates related to education policy in India, Learning Curve, Issue IV, August 2019.
- Government initiatives towards the ‘training’ of teachers: Principles and implementation, Learning Curve, Vol XXX, August 2018.
- Nimrat Khandpur, “Kya shikshak ek peshewar hai?”, Pathshaala. Bhitar aur Bahar, Vol 1, No 1, July 2018.
- Seeking common ground – some debates related to education policy in India, Learning Curve, Vol XXVII, August 2017.