Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Corporate Governance
- Comparative Commercial Law
- International Contracts
- Law and Political Economy
Neeraj studied law at Christ College, Bangalore and holds an LL.M. (Master of Laws) with specialisation in Corporate and Financial Laws from the National University of Singapore. Between 2013 – 15, Neeraj practiced law before the Supreme Court and the Delhi High Court where he argued appeals and writ petitions relating to award of government contracts, conduct of public utility enterprises, and shareholder disputes. He has also acted as a transactional lawyer and advised on issues of foreign investment, corporate governance, and commercial contracts.
Neeraj is interested in how the social context affects rules of private law that govern contracts and corporations. In his work on contracts, he explores the variance in principles that legally validate an agreement across borders. His ongoing projects also include an enquiry into the changing nature and role of ‘modern’ companies, where he explores their embeddedness in the society. In his research, he attempts to capture the factors both internal and external to the firm that reconcile the conflicts between multiple corporate stakeholders.
These inclinations also draw him into Law and Development, which includes comparatively studying interaction between markets, development, and legal institutions.
Before joining Azim Premji University in 2017, Neeraj taught courses on company law and commercial arbitration at Christ University, Bangalore, and Tamil Nadu National Law University, Trichy.
- Grover, N. (2014). Dilemma of the proper law of the arbitration agreement. Singapore Law Review, 31, 227 – 256.
- Grover, N., & Motwani K.T. (2014). The failed merger of stock exchanges. International Journal of Law and Policy Review, 3(1), 34 – 47.
- Grover, N., & Thiruvengadam A. (2022). Teaching Law and Development in India.
Newspaper and Blogs
- Grover, N. (2020, September 15). A brief response to Robi Rado’s A Tale of India, Diaspora, abd Development. Law and other Things. https://bit.ly/3kjuewM
- Grover, N. (2020, June 16). Shareholder activism: Will the Indian landscape change? Deccan Herald. https://bit.ly/3dMoudQ
- Grover, N., & Motwani K.T. (2017, August 11). Privacy debate needs cultural perspectives. Deccan Herald. https://www.deccanherald.com/content/627607/privacy-debate-needs-cultural-perspectives.html
- Grover, N., & Motwani K.T. (2016, October 04). Should SC intervene in tribunal’s award? Deccan Herald. https://www.deccanherald.com/content/573904/should-sc-intervene-tribunals-award.html