Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Applied Econometrics
- Impact Evaluation
- Labour Economics
Deepti Goel teaches courses in Applied Econometrics and is also associated with the Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. She is also a research fellow at IZA-Institute of Labour Economics, and at Global Labour Organisation (GLO).
Her main areas of research are Applied Econometrics (with a specialisation in Impact Evaluation) and Labour Economics.
Some of her recent/ongoing research projects are on measuring teacher quality, perceptions of minority groups, health effects of coal plants, and using para-data to improve survey quality.
Chapter in Edited Book
- Goel, D. (2013). Inequality: India. In Encyclopedia of Race and Racism (Second ed.). [E‑book]. Macmillan Reference USA. https://www.gale.com/ebooks/9780028661957/encyclopedia-of-race-and-racism
- Goel, D., & Deshpande, A. (2020). Social identity and perceived income adequacy. Review of Development Economics, 24(2), 339 — 361. https://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12646
- Varshney, D., Goel, D., & Meenakshi, K.V. (2018). The impact of MGNREGA on agricultural outcomes and the rural labour market: A matched DID approach. The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 61(4), 589 — 621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41027-019‑0151‑x
- Deshpande, A., Goel, D., & Khanna, S. (2018). Bad karma or discrimination? Male-female wage gaps among salaried workers in India. World Development, 102, 331 — 344. https://ideas.repec.org/a/eee/wdevel/v102y2018icp331-344.html
- Goel, D., & Lang, K. (2019). Social ties and the job search of recent immigrants. ILR Review, 72(2), 355 — 381. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0019793917729350
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). Decomposition analysis of earnings inequality in rural India: 2004 — 2012. IZA Journal of Labor & Development, 5(18). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40175-016‑0064‑8
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2017). The effect of Metro expansions on air pollution in Delhi. The World Bank Economic Review, 31(1), 271 — 294. https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhv056
- Goel, D. (2010). Perceptions of immigrants in Australia after 9./11. Economic Record, 86, 596 — 608. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475 – 4932.2010.00651.x
- Goel, D. (2011). Book review of Pranab Bardhan and Dilip Mookherjee (Eds.) Decentralization and local governance in developing countries: A comparative perspective. Indian Economic Review, 46(2), 359 — 362.
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). An analysis of earnings inequality of paid workers in rural India from 2004-05 to 2011-12. NOPOOR, Policy Brief Nr. 17. https://basepub.dauphine.psl.eu/handle/123456789/18106?locale-attribute=en
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2013, October — December). Clean Air Express: The Delhi Metro’s impact on air quality. ISB Insight. https://isbinsight.isb.edu/clean-air-express-the-delhi-metros-impact-on-air-quality‑2/
- Goel, D. & Mor, N. (2009). Why randomized experiments are worth the cost. Alliance, 14(1), 48 — 49. https://keystoneaccountability.org/wp-content/uploads/files/Measurement%20vs%20action.pdf