Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Applied Econometrics
- Impact Evaluation
- Labour Economics
Deepti Goel teaches courses in Applied Econometrics and is also associated with the Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji University. She is also a research fellow at IZA-Institute of Labour Economics, and at Global Labour Organisation (GLO).
Her main areas of research are Applied Econometrics (with a specialisation in Impact Evaluation) and Labour Economics.
Some of her recent/ongoing research projects are on measuring teacher quality, perceptions of minority groups, health effects of coal plants, and using para-data to improve survey quality.
Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods
An introduction to research methods in economics.
Econometrics of Impact Evaluation
Using statistical tools to build what-if scenarios and estimate causal effects.
Introduction to Econometrics
What economic, social and political questions can we answer using data? What can we know using simple trends and summary statistics? It turns out, quite a lot!
Chapter in Edited Book
- Goel, D. (2013). Inequality: India. In Encyclopedia of Race and Racism (Second ed.). [E‑book]. Macmillan Reference USA. https://www.gale.com/ebooks/9780028661957/encyclopedia-of-race-and-racism
- Goel, D., & Deshpande, A. (2020). Social identity and perceived income adequacy. Review of Development Economics, 24(2), 339 — 361. https://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12646
- Varshney, D., Goel, D., & Meenakshi, K.V. (2018). The impact of MGNREGA on agricultural outcomes and the rural labour market: A matched DID approach. The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 61(4), 589 — 621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41027-019‑0151‑x
- Deshpande, A., Goel, D., & Khanna, S. (2018). Bad karma or discrimination? Male-female wage gaps among salaried workers in India. World Development, 102, 331 — 344. https://ideas.repec.org/a/eee/wdevel/v102y2018icp331-344.html
- Goel, D., & Lang, K. (2019). Social ties and the job search of recent immigrants. ILR Review, 72(2), 355 — 381. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0019793917729350
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). Decomposition analysis of earnings inequality in rural India: 2004 — 2012. IZA Journal of Labor & Development, 5(18). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40175-016‑0064‑8
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2017). The effect of Metro expansions on air pollution in Delhi. The World Bank Economic Review, 31(1), 271 — 294. https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhv056
- Goel, D. (2010). Perceptions of immigrants in Australia after 9./11. Economic Record, 86, 596 — 608. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475 – 4932.2010.00651.x
- Goel, D. (2011). Book review of Pranab Bardhan and Dilip Mookherjee (Eds.) Decentralization and local governance in developing countries: A comparative perspective. Indian Economic Review, 46(2), 359 — 362.
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). An analysis of earnings inequality of paid workers in rural India from 2004-05 to 2011-12. NOPOOR, Policy Brief Nr. 17. https://basepub.dauphine.psl.eu/handle/123456789/18106?locale-attribute=en
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2013, October — December). Clean Air Express: The Delhi Metro’s impact on air quality. ISB Insight. https://isbinsight.isb.edu/clean-air-express-the-delhi-metros-impact-on-air-quality‑2/
- Goel, D. & Mor, N. (2009). Why randomized experiments are worth the cost. Alliance, 14(1), 48 — 49. https://keystoneaccountability.org/wp-content/uploads/files/Measurement%20vs%20action.pdf