Areas of Interest & Expertise
Applied Econometrics, Labour Economics
Deepti Goel is a faculty with the School of Arts and Sciences.
Shel teaches Economics and is a faculty at the Centre for Sustainable Employment. Her PhD is in Economics in 2009 from Boston University. She is also a research fellow at IZA-Institute of Labor Economics, and at Global Labour Organisation (GLO). Her main areas of research are Applied Econometrics and Labour Economics.
Some of her recent, ongoing projects include measuring teacher quality, perceptions of minority groups, relationship between religiosity and trust, cohort analyses of work participation and earnings, and health effects of coal plants.
Has the mid-day meal scheme improved child health and school performance?
Publications and Writings
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Social Ties and the Job Search of Recent Immigrants (with Kevin Lang), ILR Review (2019) 72(2): 355 – 381
- The Impact of MGNREGA on Agricultural Outcomes and the Rural Labour Market: A Matched DID Approach (with JV Meenakshi and Deepak Varshney), The Indian Journal of Labour Economics (2018) 61(4): 589 – 621
- Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps among Salaried Workers in India (with Ashwini Deshpande and Shantanu Khanna), World Development (2018) 102: 331 – 344. Blog: Ideas for India
- The Effect of Metro Expansions on Air Pollution in Delhi (with Sonam Gupta) The World Bank Economic Review (2017) 31 (1): 271 – 294 . Blog: Ideas for India
- Decomposition Analysis of Earnings Inequality in Rural India: 2004 – 2012 (with Rene Morissette and Shantanu Khanna), IZA Journal of Labor & Development (2016) 5:18. Blog: Ideas for India
- Perceptions of Immigrants in Australia after 9⁄11 (2010), Economic Record 86: 596 – 608
- Drivers of Student Performance: Evidence from Higher Secondary Public Schools in Delhi (with Bidisha Barooah), IZA Discussion Papers (2018) DP No. 11670
- Identity, Perceptions and Institutions: Caste differences in Earnings from Self-Employment in India (with Ashwini Deshpande), IZA Discussion Papers (2016) DP No. 10198
- An Analysis of Earnings Inequality of Paid Workers in Rural India from 2004⁄05 to 2011⁄12 (with Shantanu Khanna and Rene Morissette), NOPOOR Policy Brief Nr. 17, 2016.
- Inequality: India, Encyclopedia of Race and Racism, 2nd Edition, Macmillan Reference USA, 2013.
- Clean Air Express: The Delhi Metro’s Impact on Air Quality (with Sonam Gupta), ISB Insight, Oct-Dec 2013.
- Book Review of Pranab Bardhan and Dilip Mookherjee (eds.), Decentralization and Local Governance in Developing Countries: A Comparative Perspective, Indian Economic Review, 46(2): 359 – 362, 2011.
- Why Randomized Experiments are worth the Cost, with Nachiket Mor, Alliance, 14(1): 48 – 49, 2009.