Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Applied Econometrics
- Impact Evaluation
- Labour Economics
Deepti Goel joined the University in 2019. Before this, she was a faculty member at the Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University. Her main areas of research are Applied Econometrics, including Impact Evaluation, and Labor Economics. She finished her doctoral degree in Economics from Boston University in 2009. Her PhD thesis was on labour market outcomes of recent immigrants into Canada and Australia. Some of her recent work is on measuring teacher effectiveness in Delhi’s public schools, relationship between social (caste and gender) identity and labour market outcomes, and improving survey quality using para data. She is a faculty fellow at the University’s Centre for Sustainable Employment, and is also a research fellow at IZA-Institute of Labor Economics, and at the Global Labor Organization (GLO).
Using statistical tools to build what-if scenarios and estimate causal effects.
- Goel, D., and Deshpande, A. (2020). Social Identity and Perceived Income Adequacy. Review of Development Economics, 24(2), 339 – 361. https://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12646
- Varshney, D., Goel, D., & J.V. Meenakshi. (2018). The Impact of MGNREGA on Agricultural Outcomes and the Rural Labour Market: A Matched DID Approach. The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 61(4), 589 – 621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41027-019‑0151‑x
- Deshpande, A., Goel, D., & Khanna, S. (2018). Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps among Salaried Workers in India. World Development, 102, 331 – 344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.07.012
- Goel, D., & Lang, K. (2019). Social Ties and the Job Search of Recent Immigrants. ILR Review, 72(2), 355 – 381. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0019793917729350
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). Decomposition Analysis of Earnings Inequality in Rural India: 2004 – 2012. IZA Journal of Labor & Development, 5,18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40175-016‑0064‑8
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2017). The Effect of Metro Expansions on Air Pollution in Delhi. The World Bank Economic Review, 31(1), 271 – 294. https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhv056
- Goel, D. (2010). Perceptions of Immigrants in Australia after 9⁄11. Economic Record, 86, 596 – 608. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475 – 4932.2010.00651.x
- Khanna, S., Goel, D., & Morissette, R. (2016). An Analysis of Earnings Inequality of Paid Workers in Rural India from 2004⁄05 to 2011⁄12. NOPOOR, Policy Brief Nr. 17.
- Goel, D. (2013). Inequality: India. Encyclopedia of Race and Racism, 2nd Edition, Macmillan Reference USA.
- Goel, D., & Gupta, S. (2013). Clean Air Express: The Delhi Metro’s Impact on Air Quality. ISB Insight, Oct-Dec.
- Goel, D. (2011) Book Review of Pranab Bardhan and Dilip Mookherjee (eds.), Decentralization and Local Governance in Developing Countries: A Comparative Perspective. Indian Economic Review, 46(2): 359 – 362.
- Goel, D. & Mor, N. (2009) Why Randomized Experiments are worth the Cost. Alliance, 14(1): 48 – 49, 2009.