Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Science Education
- Pedagogy of Science
- Nature of Science
- Philosophy of Education
- Science and Ethics
- Environment Education
- Teacher Education
- ICT in Education
Astha has a Master’s degree (MSc) in Zoology and a Master’s degree in Education (MEd) from Delhi University and Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, India. She has completed her PhD in Science Education from the Department of Education, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.
During her doctoral work, she explored the interlinkages between science and ethics and developed a framework for integrating ethics in science teaching and learning. She also looked into the different dimensions of teachers’ knowledge base (pedagogical content knowledge) for negotiating ethical issues related to biotechnology in the classroom.
Astha has been associated with NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) for developing a textbook on the pedagogy of biological sciences, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) for Biology, Teacher Education.
She has also worked with CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) for developing a secondary science manual; UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) for designing a curriculum for Adolescence Health Programme under the Ayushman Bharat programme by the government of India; UNICEF for reviewing K‑12 textbooks for the state government of Maharashtra, focusing on integrating life skills and equity issues within academic disciplines. These, she believes, provided great opportunities for learning and reflection.
She has published research papers, written articles, and prepared reports in the area of science education, teacher education, and sociology and philosophy of science in reputed national and international journals.
Teaching has been a passion for Astha and she strongly believes is a dialogical process that provides opportunities to interact with students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
A list of her publications is given below. The complete list of publications can be accessed here.
- Saxena, A. (2019). Ethics in Science – Pedagogic Issues and Concern. Springer Nature. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978 – 981-32 – 9009‑9
- Saxena, A. (2013). A study on Student Sensitivity toward STS issues. Lap Lambert Academic Publishing. https://www.amazon.in/Study-Student-Sensitivity-Toward-Issues/dp/3659420670
Chapters in Edited Books
- Behari, A. & Saxena, A. (2022). Perspective building for environment among teachers — A curricular initiative for Sustainable Development. In R. Boojh & N. Ishwaran (Eds.), Sustainability Education for a Better World (pp. 76 – 93). Cambridge Scholars Publishing. https://www.cambridgescholars.com/product/978 – 1‑5275 – 7723‑7
- Saxena, A. (2020). Diagnosing students’ opinions on bioethical issues — Role of new media. In R. Malaviya, M. B. Kalra, N. Asthana and R. Mehta (Eds.), Learning- Trends, needs & opportunities. Renova International Publications.
- Saxena, A. (2019). A human rights perspective on education and research in science and technology. In S. Gankidi (Ed.), Human Rights in India- Prospective & Retrospective (pp.153 – 173). Rawat Publications. https://www.amazon.in/HUMAN-RIGHTS-INDIA-Prospective-Retrospective/dp/8131610608
- Saxena, A. (2019). Pedagogies for inclusive education — Developing a framework for teacher education. In R. Malaviya, M. B. Kalra, N. Asthana and R. Mehta (Eds.), Inclusive Education — Issues, Challenges & Possibilities (pp. 2 – 15). Global Books Organisation.
- Saxena, A. (2017). Narratives of humanistic pedagogy for biology teachers. In R.P. Shukla, A. K. Rai & Y. Pandey (Eds.), Humane Reflective Teacher- A Qualitative Approach to Teacher Education (pp.199 – 210). Bharti Publications. https://bhartipublications.com/product/humane-reflective-teacher-a-qualitative-approach-to-teacher-education/
- Saxena, A. (2017). Socio-political forces and self-development. In J. Ahmad (Ed.), Understanding the Self (pp.75 – 104). V L Media Solutions (VLMS Publishers).
- Patel, M.S, Saxena, A, Mishra, M. (2022). Integrated problem-solving competency- concept, importance and pedagogical approaches. International Journal of all research education and scientific methods, 10(5), 232 – 245. http://www.ijaresm.com/integrated-problem-solving-competency-concept-importance-and-pedagogical-approaches
- Saxena, A. (2020). Gandhi and the idea of sustainability — Implications for science education. School Science (NCERT), 58(2), 35 – 48.
- Behari, A & Saxena, A. (2017). Pedagogies in higher education — Striding towards innovation. Delhi University Journal of the Humanities and the Social Sciences, 4 (1), 71 – 90. https://journals.du.ac.in/humsoc/pdf/5%20Article%2070 – 89.pdf
- Saxena, A. (2016). Negotiating ethical issues in Biology- 3 case studies. Review of Science, Mathematics and ICT Education, 10(1), 39 – 64. https://doi.org/10.26220/rev.2266
- Saxena, A and Behari, A. (2015). Engaging in an argumentative discourse— narratives from biology classrooms. European Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 3(1), 14 – 32. https://doi.org/10.30935/scimath/9418
- Saxena, A. (2014). Ethical discourse in science textbooks — A study of K‑12 Biology textbook. Journal of Indian Education, 40(2), 121 – 138. https://ncert.nic.in/pdf/publication/journalsandperiodicals/journalofindianeducation/JIEaugust2014.pdf
- Saxena, A. (2014). A human rights perspective on education and research in science and technology. Indian Journal of Human Rights and Law, 11(1), 1 – 16.
- Saxena, A. and Behari, A. (2013). Educational change and teachers’ Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) — Integration for Professional Development. Indian Educational Review, 51(2), 43 – 62. https://ncert.nic.in/pdf/publication/journalsandperiodicals/indianeducationalreview/IERJul2013.pdf
- Saxena, A. (2012). Philosophy and sociology of science — An introduction. Journal of Indian Education, 38(3), 149 – 152. https://ncert.nic.in/pdf/publication/journalsandperiodicals/journalofindianeducation/JIENov_2012.pdf
- Saxena, A. (2012). Science and Ethics: Implications for Teacher Education. Journal of Indian Education, 38(1), 118 – 136. https://ncert.nic.in/pdf/publication/journalsandperiodicals/journalofindianeducation/JIE_MAY2012.pdf
- Behari, A. & Saxena, A. (2017). Striving for Excellence in Higher Education- Unfolding the pedagogic dimensions- A Monograph. IQAC, Department of Education, University of Delhi.
- Saxena A. (2022). Negotiating the Place for Human Rights in Education- Implications for Curricular Integration. The Barcelona Conference on Education 2022: Official Conference Proceedings. https://doi.org/10.22492/issn.2435 – 9467.2022.26
- Saxena, A. (2019, September 27). Perspective for environment in the draft National Education Policy, 2019. Green Educators’ Network: CSE University Programme Initiative. https://cseuniversityprogramme.wordpress.com/2019/09/27/from-the-educators
- Saxena, A. (2019, September 27). No land to grow: The qualms of desertification. Green Educators’ Network: CSE University Programme Initiative. https://cseuniversityprogramme.wordpress.com/2019/09/27/no-land-to-grow-the-qualms-of-desertification