Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Climate Change and Development
- Energy Mitigation
- Green Jobs
- Just Transitions
- Electric Vehicles
Anjali has worked most recently as a postdoctoral fellow at Johns Hopkins University, Maryland. She received her doctorate degree in Public Policy from the University of Maryland, College Park in 2020. She holds an MSc in Climate Change and Sustainability Studies from Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai.
The aim of her work is to inform just and equitable policies for a low-carbon world. Her current work examines whether and how electric vehicles can worsen health inequities across different social groups and geographies.
Her doctoral dissertation involved modelling and evaluating the employment impacts of power sector decarbonisation in India. Anjali’s research has been published in peer-reviewed journals which include Energy Policy, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, and Energy for Sustainable Development.
In the classroom, she invites her students to evaluate and design strategies for just and sustainable development in a climate-constrained world. She encourages students to particularly analyse the challenges faced by developing countries in pursuing low-carbon development.
- Sharma, A., Surana, K., Mel, G. (2022). Do clean energy duties generate employment benefits? Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,159(7). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2022.112104
- Sharma, A., Banerjee, R. (2021). Framework to analyze the spatial distribution of the labor impacts of clean energy transitions. Energy Policy, 150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2021.112158
- Gould, C.F., Hou, X., Richmond, J., Sharma, A., Urpelainen, J. (2020). Jointly modeling the adoption and use of clean cooking fuels in rural India. Environmental Research Communications, 2(8). https://doi.org/10.1088/2515 – 7620/abaca9
- Sharma, A., Agrawal, S., Urpelainen, J. (2020). The adoption and use of solar mini-grids in grid-electrified Indian villages. Energy for Sustainable Development, 55, 139 – 150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2020.01.005
- Binsted, M., Iyer, G., Edmonds, J., Vogt-Schilb, A., Arguello, R., Cadena, A., Delgado, R., Feijoo, F., Lucena, A., McJeon, H., Miralles-Wilhelm, F., Sharma, A. (2019). Stranded asset implications of the Paris Agreement in Latin America and the Caribbean. Environmental Research Letters, 15(4). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748 – 9326/ab506d
- Sharma, A., Dai, H., Nahm, J., Peng, W., Urpelainen, J. (2021). A just transition for the automotive supply chain in China and India. World Bank. [Under review].
- Sharma, A. (2016). Electricity and Rural Development: Exploring linkages between electrification and non-farm income generating activities. Prayas. http://energy.prayaspune.org/images/stories/Pub_Pictures/Event/Electrification_and_NFEs.pdf
- Sharma, A. (2020, September 15). Solid cooking fuels remain prevalent despite increased LPG adoption in rural India. Initiative for Sustainable Energy Policy. https://sais-isep.org/solid-cooking-fuels-remain-prevalent-despite-increased-lpg-adoption-in-rural-india/
- Sharma, A. (2020, July 07). Energy access- Moving beyond the Grid vs mini-Grid binary. ET EnergyWorld. https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/power/opinion-energy-access-moving-beyond-the-grid-vs-mini-grid-binary/76828462
- Sharma, A. (2019, October 21). Why young Indians should put ‘equity’ at the forefront of climate activism. Citizen Matters. https://citizenmatters.in/why-indian-youth-must-demand-equity-in-climate-action-14347