Azim Premji University, Bhopal started operations in August 2023, offering postgraduate and undergraduate programs. The first phase of campus construction is complete and the overall 50-acre campus with state-of-the-art academic and residential facilities will be ready over the next few years. We expect to grow to about 4000 students and 500 members over the next few years.
We are expanding our program offerings and are inviting applications for full time faculty positions. We will offer faculty an enriching and fulfilling institution building experience encompassing inter disciplinary program design, development, and research opportunities, setting up and implementation of key institutional processes, culture building and participation in various institutional bodies.
The Undergraduate programme in English teaches literature with a focus on building capacities in writing and critical and aesthetic sensibilities in reading many kinds of texts – both traditional and newer forms. Our teaching practices and curriculum are informed by the needs of a diverse student body and the challenges posed by the context of learning English in India. Alongside papers that seek to build knowledge in literatures produced in English, our programme also offers pathways in allied areas like Media and Journalism, Cultural Studies, Creative Writing and Translation. English faculty at the University are also closely involved in developing courses and teaching methods aimed at fostering communication skills for undergraduate learners from all disciplines.
We are looking for candidates working in the broad areas of English and Cultural Studies and are especially interested in the following:
- Translation Studies: Candidates with a proven track record in translating from or into an Indian language (other than English) are encouraged to apply
- Creative and Academic Writing: You must have demonstrable ability to develop and teach courses on writing and communication for undergraduates
- English Literature: We encourage applications from candidates who can teach across core areas in literary studies
- At least 15 years of relevant experience
- An advanced degree in English, Cultural Studies, or related areas
- A strong commitment to teaching reading and writing in a diverse classroom
- Active research agenda and a willingness to contribute to an undergraduate English curriculum grounded in the Indian context
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line“Application for Faculty Position in English- Bhopal”
- Short (one-two page) personal statement about yourself
- Teaching statement (courses you have taught, if any) and Research Statement
- Brief description of a course you would like to develop and teach for BA English students in our priority areas
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two samples of scholarship (working papers, published articles or others)
- Completed Information Summary Sheet