Email: [email protected]
Zico Dasgupta teaches economics at School of Arts and Sciences in Azim Premji University. He received his PhD in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Before joining this university, he worked as a research associate in Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi and Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata. His research has been published in various edited volumes and in journals like Review of Keynesian Economics and Economic and Political Weekly.
- PhD in Economics
- MPhil in Economics
- MA in Economics
- B.Sc in Economics
International Trade, Advanced Macroeconomics, Introduction to Quantitative Methods
Areas of Interest
Macroeconomics, Indian Economy
Growth and Distribution, Monetary Economics, Public Finance, International Trade and Finance, Structural Transformation, Political Economy
Publications and Writings
- “Economic Slowdown and Financial Fragility: The Structural Malaise of India’s Growth Process” Economic and Political Weekly, 2020, Vol 55, No 13
- “Financialisation and Corporate Investments: The Indian Case”, (with Sunanda Sen), Review of Keynesian Economics,2018, Vol. 6 No. 1, Spring 2018, pp. 96–113.
- “‘Riskless Capitalism’ in India: Bank Credit and Economic Activity” (with Rohit Azad and Prasenjit Bose), Economic & Political Weekly, 2017, vol 52 no. 31.
- "Growth, Imports and Inequality: Explaining the Persistently High Trade Deficit in India", (with Subhanil Chowdhury), Economic & Political Weekly, 2015 vol 50, no. 48.
- “Economic Policy in India: For Economic Stimulus or for Volatility and Austerity?” (with Sunanda Sen), PSL Quarterly Review, 2014, vol 67 no 271.
- “Development Expenditures of the states in the Post-Liberalization Period”, Economic and Political Weekly,2012, vol 47, no 34.
- “Fiscal Problem in West Bengal: Towards an Explanation”, (with Subhanil Chowdhury), Economic and Political Weekly,2012, vol 47, no 13.
- "The Challenges before NABARD in the Midst of RBI’s Sterilisation Policy", ( with Shouvik Chakraborty), Economic & Political Weekly, 2010, vol 45, no. 31
- “The Dynamics of Global Demand, Investment and Trade Deficit in India: A Model of India’s External Dependence” (forthcoming), in Byasdeb Dasgupta ed. “Neoliberal Economic Reform in Emerging Economy of India - International Trade, Investment and Finance”, Routledge.
- “Breaking Bad: India’s Banking Distress”(2019) ,in Azad,Ramani, Chakraborty and Sinha (eds) “Quantum Leap in Wrong Direction?”, Orient Black Swan, co-authored with Prasenjit Bose
- “Monetary Policy as a Counter-cyclical Strategy” , Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy, Azim Premji University, 2020
- “The Twin Challenge and India’s Macroeconomic Response”, Indian Macro Outlook: Quarterly Bulletin on Indian Economy, Azim Premji University, 2020
- “Banking Sector not yet out of the woods”, ( with Prasenjit Bose ), Hindu BusinessLine, 2019 January 24
- “Melange of factors that pulled rupee down”, (with Prasenjit Bose), Hindu BusinessLine, 2018 October 30
- “Supreme Court should frame an 11th question on demonetisation” (with Prasenjit Bose ), Dailyo, 2016 December 14
- “What deters investment in India today?”0 (with Sunanda Sen), The Hindu, 2014 September 1
- Income Redistribution and Debt-Neutral Fiscal Strategy
- Credit Rationing and Bank Profitability in a Dual Economy
- Inter-linkage between Investment and leverage ratios in Indian Economy (with Rohit Azad)
- Modelling Jobless Growth in India