Stefi Barna has been involved in health, development and education for the past 20 years. In public health she worked on HIV prevention in The Netherlands (with sex workers); in the United States (with drug users, gang members and undocumented immigrants); and in Bangladesh (with drug users, rickshaw pullers and truck drivers).
She has been interested in philosophy of education and in alternative models of schooling, from peer-led, experiential, and reflective learning to the intersection between arts and sciences. She has taught in a variety of settings, including medical schools, interdisciplinary studies, and the Krishnamurti schools
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles (1992)
- B.A. History (Hons), University of California, Berkeley (1988)
- Public Health
- Sustainability and Development
- Environment and Health
- Art and Science of the Natural World
- Field Studies
Areas of Interest
- Inclusive pedagogy
- Interdisciplinary curriculum design
- Sustainability and health
- Medical humanities
Publication and Writing
- Stefi Barna, Adithya Vyas, Klaus Melf, Ingvild Fossgard Sandøy. 2017.
Medical Peace Work [Massive Open Online Course]. University of Bergen, 2017.
- (2016), Stefi Barna, "Sustainability in Higher Education for the Global South: A Conversation across Geographies and Disciplines", Sustentabilidade em Debate - Brasília, v. 7, n. 1, p. 156-173 (with Seema Purushothaman, Chitra Ravi, Harini Nagendra, Manu Mathai, Seema Mundoli, Gladwin Joseph, Nandan Nawn, Radha Gopalan, Marcel Bursztyn, Martina Padmanabhan, Sally Duncan, Ruth S DeFries).
- Stefi Barna and Adithya Vyas, 2016. ‘Is Climate Change the Greatest Health Threat of the Century?’. Teaching case and instructor guide. Ref MPW3-15-11. The Case Centre.
- Stefi Barna and Adithya Vyas and Emma Pencheon, 2016. ‘Leadership for Sustainable Healthcare’. Teaching case and instructor guide. Ref MPW3-15-12. The Case Centre.
- (2015), Stefi Barna "Human Health and the Global Environment" in Nicholson, McKimm and Allen Global Health. Sage Publishing, London (with Jason Horseley and Sarah Walpole).
- (2015), Stefi Barna "Climate Change, Long-Term Conditions and Sustainable Healthcare" in Nicholson, McKimm and Allen Global Health. Sage Publishing, London (with Sarah Walpole).
- (2015), Stefi Barna 'Challenges to professionalism: Social accountability and global environmental change', (with David Pearson & Sarah Walpole), Medical Teacher, June.
- Thompson, T, Walpole, S, Braithwaite, I, Barna, S Inman, A, Mortimer, F. ‘Learning objectives for sustainable health care’ The Lancet, 29 Nov 2014
- Public Health Educators in Medical Schools. Undergraduate Public Health Curriculum for UK Medical Schools: Consensus Statement 2014 (London: Faculty of Public Health, 2014).
- Walpole S, Barna S, Gillam S ‘Ecological healthcare for tomorrow’s doctors – new imperatives for medical educators’ Excellence in Medical Education, 5: 2014, 23-25.
- Barna, S., Goodman, B. & Mortimer, F. ‘The health effects of climate change: What does a nurse need to know?’ Nurse Education Today, 1 Oct 2012, p. 765-771.
- Kuiper,H, Jackson, RJ, Barna, S, Satariano, WA. ’Local health department leadership strategies for healthy built environments’, Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 2012 Mar-Apr;18(2):11-23
- Gillam, S. & Barna, S. ‘Sustainable general practice: another challenge for trainers’ Education for Primary Care, Vol 22:1 (2011) p. 7-10.
- Gillam, S & Barna, S. ‘Sustainability in general practice’, Education for Primary Care. 22:1 (2011) p:36 -7
- Barna, S. Mortimer, F. Pearson, D. ‘Greening the NHS at its roots: training tomorrow’s doctors for a sustainable health system’, Journal of Holistic Healthcare 8:22 (Aug 2011) pg: 23-26.
- Barna, S., McKenzie, J., Mortimer, F. ‘Low-Carb NHS: training and CPD for a sustainable health system’, National Health Executive 2011 May/June.
- Barna, S. & Mortimer, F. ‘Climate change and the duty of a doctor: teaching sustainable healthcare’ Chemical Hazards and Poisons Report, (Oct 2010) p. 29-30 2
- Orme, J. & Barna, S. ‘Education for sustainable development - the role of healthy universities’. Healthy Universities 3 (2010) p. 4-5
- Barna, S. & Rodrigues, V. Health Needs, Demands and Resources. Foundation eLearning Project (000_1052). E-Learning for Healthcare. Dept of Health 2010.
- Barna, Stefi. Transport Workers at Risk for HIV: Documenting Our Experience 2000-2004, CARE Bangladesh, 2006
- López-Zetina, Javier, Wesley Ford, Mark Weber, Stefi Barna. “Predictors of syphilis seroreactivity and prevalence of HIV among street recruited injection drug users in Los Angeles County, 1994–6” Sexually Transmitted Infections 76:462-469 (2000).
- Barna, Stefi. “New Approaches to Nature Education”, Journal of the Krishnamurti Schools, Chennai, 2007
- Barna, Stefi. “Towards a Philosophy of Physical Education”, Journal of the Krishnamurti Schools, Chennai, 2005
- Barna, Stefi. “Contemporary Art as a Means of Inquiry”, Journal of the Krishnamurti Schools, Chennai, 2003
- Barna, Stefi. Trabajo y Salud, SOA Stichting, The Netherlands, 1993.
- Barna, Stefi and Susan Biersteker. Safe Sex Handbook for Sex Workers, SOA Stichting, The Netherlands 1992.
- Barna, Stefi. Health Aspects of Prostitution Policy in the Netherlands, Ministry of Health, The Netherlands, 1992.
- Public Health Educators in Medical Schools Network
- Education for Sustainable Healthcare
- Medical Peace Work Partnership