1. Is the LL.M. Programme in compliance with regulatory requirements of the UGC? Would the individuals enrolling for this programme be eligible for the UGC-NET examination upon completion of the programme?
The LL.M. in Law and Development anchored by the Centre for Post Graduate Legal Studies at Azim Premji University is fully compliant with the UGC 2015 regulations. Individuals will be eligible to appear for the UGC-NET examination. Additionally, during the course of the programme individuals will be provided with the support required for preparing for the NET examination.
2. Is the LL.M. Programme a full-time programme?
The LL.M. Programme is a full-time academic programme. Students will not be able to engage in part-time or full-time work during the programme.
3. Will practicing advocates be required to surrender their license if they are to enroll for this programme?
As per a resolution the Bar Council passed on January 23, 2010, advocates do not longer have to surrender their license. See http://law.geekupd8.com/2016/01/practicing-advocates-can-join-llm.html. This resolution was passed six years ago and may or may not be dated. Therefore, any advocate interested in joining the course should refer to the most current guidelines vis-a-vis the surrender of licenses.
4. Why does the programme focus on Law and Development?
The field of Law and Development has a long-standing pedigree of research and teaching in the best academic institutions around the world. A rigorous and sustained study of the relationship between law and development enables meaningful design, understanding and evaluation of particularized modes of developmental planning and intervention in India and in comparative jurisdictions.
5. What is the intake of this programme?
The intake of the LL.M. Programme will be limited to a carefully selected cohort of twenty-five students.
6. What are the benefits of an exclusive postgraduate programme in law?
Unlike most other law schools, the exclusivity of the LL.M. Programme at Azim Premji University allows for the faculty to be entirely dedicated to postgraduate education.
7. How does the LL.M. in Law and Development accommodate diverse intellectual interests?
The LL.M. in Law and Development is an interdisciplinary programme that goes beyond the study of law as doctrine and situates law as a social phenomenon. The programme offers focused mandatory courses on Law and Development, Law and Justice, Comparative Public Law and Research Methods and Legal Writing. Students may elect to do courses across a wide variety of disciplines including economics, political science, anthropology, sociology, history and philosophy.
8. How much emphasis does the programme place on research?
The LL.M. Programme is a research-intensive degree programme requiring students to write a dissertation of publishable quality.
9. What are the benefits of the clinic component of the programme?
Clinical experience will foster engagement with institutions outside the University including civil society organisations, government organisations, and legal practitioners
10. Is this LL.M. Programme well-suited for those interested or engaging in the practice of private law?
In addition to focusing on public law the LL.M. Programme lays a strong emphasis on private law. It will engage faculty with considerable experience in various fields of private law including but not limited to company law and contract law.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION
11. What is the eligibility criteria for the programme?
Students from all walks of life with a Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized university in India or abroad are encouraged to apply for the LL.M. programme. The University strongly encourages working professionals to make an application.
12. What is the selection process for the LL.M. Programme?
The selection process for the LL.M. Programme will include a written test and personal interview
- Written test: Applicants will have to appear for a written test that will assess them on their aptitude for language, math, general knowledge, teaching, research and legal knowledge.
- Personal interview: Shortlisted applicants will be called be interviewed by a student assessment panel that will review their motivations and suitability for the course.
13. Does the University have institutional mechanisms to help students with placements?
Yes, the University has a Placement Cell that comprises faculty members, university staff and students. The Placements Cell works actively with a wide variety of recruiting organisations including NGOs, government, industry and other multi-lateral organisations. Further information on placements is available at: http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/placement-process.aspx.
14. How is the student community at Azim Premji University?
Azim Premji University has a diverse student community that is intellectually and culturally vibrant.
15. What opportunities does the University provide for students to explore extra-curricular activities or other academic interests?
There are two ways in which students can broaden their intellectual and artistic horizons: through open courses, and engaging in student clubs. Open courses are mandatory for all students and are offered by trained faculty in a variety of fields including Indian and Western Classical Music, Film Studies, History and Literature. For more information on Open Courses please visit http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/student-life-open-courses.aspx.
Student clubs are an intrinsic part of life at Azim Premji University and are primarily led by students. Presently, student clubs work in areas such as poetry, theatre, sports and films. For more information on student life at APU, please visit: http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/student-life-student-clubs.aspx
16. What sporting facilities are available at the University?
Azim Premji University has an active student run sports club that enables its students to participate in various intra-varsity competitions. At the University’s temporary campus students can avail sporting facilities such as basketball court, football field and badminton courts.
17. What library resources will students have access to?
All the information pertaining to library resources is available here http://azimpremjifoundation.org/library/apu