Email: [email protected]
Siddharth Swaminathan teaches courses on Research Design, Statistical Methods, and
Empirical Policy Analysis. He received an MA and PhD in political science from the
Claremont Graduate University (2001). His research focuses on political demography, voter
behavior, citizenship and urban governance in India. Prior to joining Azim Premji University,
he held faculty positions at the Institute for Social and Economic Change, La Sierra
University and California State University. He is currently a member of the Lokniti Network
(CSDS) and a visiting Research Fellow at the Center for Contemporary South Asia at Brown
Publications and Writings
Edited Books (Peer Reviewed)
- Politics and Society Between Elections: Public Opinion in India’s States. With Suhas
Palshikar. Routledge. Forthcoming January 2021.
Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed)
- 2020. “The Rich have Peers, The Poor have Patrons: Engaging the State in a South Indian
City.” With P. Heller and A. Varshney [Under Review]
- 2020. “Populism and Hindu Nationalism in India.” With A. Varshney and S. Ayyangar.
- 2020. “Historical Burden or Lacking Effort: Caste Perceptions of Dalit Socio-Economic
Conditions.” Studies in Indian Politics. December 2020.
- 2020. “Economic Evaluations and the Incumbent Vote in India’s Parliamentary Elections
(2014, 2019).” Indian Politics and Policy 3 (1): 9 - 30.
- 2017. “Citizenship in Urban India: Evidence and Reflections from Bangalore.” With E.
Bertorelli, P. Heller and A. Varshney. Economic and Political Weekly. August 12, 2017, Vol
LII No. 32.
- 2012. “Towards Comprehensive Malaria Planning: The Effect of Government Capacity,
Health Policy and Land Use Variables on Malaria Incidence in India.” With C.Boussalis and
H. Nelson. Social Science & Medicine 75: 1213-1221.
- 2008. “Path to Prosperity: The Dynamics of Freedom and Economic Development.” With Y.
Feng, J. Kugler, and P. Zak. International Interactions, 34: 423-441.
- 2007. “The New Century: US Dominance, European Integration, and the Asian Challenge.”
With J. Kugler and R.L. Tammen. Transformacje 39-40: 87-102.
- 2007. “Saving the Next Generation: Political Capacity and Infant Mortality Decline in India’s
States.” With J. Thomas. International Interactions, 33 (3): 217-242.
- 2006. “The Politics of Population.” With T. Kugler. International Studies Review, 8 (4): 581-
- 2001. “Power Transitions and Alliances in the 21st Century.” With J. Kugler and R.L.
Tammen. Asian Perspective, 25 (3): 5-29.
- 1999. “Time, Power and Democratic Transitions.” Journal of Conflict Resolution 43 (2): 162-
- 2018. “Public Trust in the Indian Judiciary.” With S. Krishnaswamy. In G. Rosenberg et. al.
(eds.) A Qualified Hope: The Indian Supreme Court and Progressive Social Change.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2017. “Statistical Methods and Political Analysis: Examining the ‘Economic Vote’ in Indian
Parliamentary Elections.” In Knowing the Social World: Challenges and Responses, edited
by N. Jayaram. Orient Blackswan.
- 2014. “Politics, Development and Deaths: Comparing China and India.” In Economic
Growth, Trade and Poverty A Comparative Analysis of India and China, edited by Elumalai
Kannan, R. S. Deshpande, Guo Xiaoming and Yue Zhaomin. New Delhi: Konark Publishers
- 2012. “The Politics of Births: Evidence from India’s States.” With J. Thomas. In The
Performance of Nations, edited by J. Kugler and R. Tammen. 2012. Rowman & Littlefield.
- 2012. “Following the Wisdom of the Elders: Instability in China.” With M. Arbetman-
Rabinowitz and K. Johnson. In The Performance of Nations, edited by J. Kugler and R.
Tammen. 2012. Rowman & Littlefield.
- 2004. “Political Capacity and Demographic Change in China with a Comparison to India.”
With Y. Feng. In Urban Transformation in China, edited by A. Chen, G. Liu, and K. Zhang.
2004. Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company.
- 1998. “Electoral Alliances and Political Outcomes in India.” With J. Kugler. In Comparative
Political Parties and Party Elites: Essays in Honor of Samuel Eldersveld, edited by B.
Yesilada, 1999, Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press.
- 2000. “Kashmir Policy Brief.” With J. Kugler, M. Abdollahian, and S. Sboto.
National Defense University Working Paper, Washington D.C.
- 2006. “Political Development.” In Global Encyclopedia of Political Science Volume 1, edited
by H.P. Chattopadhyay and S.K. Sarker. Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi.